Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deceased grandmother's bill account

Options
  • 13-05-2020 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi guys,

There isn't a Pure Telecom forum here so was wondering if someone could help.

My grandmother passed away in February. My uncle called the phone company and told them and they said to submit a death cert but we didn't have it at the time and then covid lockdown happened so he couldn't get out and is cocooning.

I was just looking at the email address I created for her to help her pay the bill online before and seen they were still sending bills so I logged on and seen that they were still billing and they had put on a charge for contract termination of 150 (if she were alive I would be going crazy of this charge to a 88 year old woman). I double checked the email address and there is no warning email or anything like that. The bill is now over 260. Everything was paid up to date in February and her bills always averaged 25-30 a month.

They're looking for her solicitor or executor of the will. My grandmother had neither of these. I'm not sure what to do here. She had enough to pay her funeral in her account and we asked for that to be given straight to the undertakers but that's it. There's nothing left over for that bill. Also, should we still have to pay for the months billed where there wasn't usage or should they have put a hold on the account when they were first informed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

You'd expect that the next of kin or the deceased legal or executor should be able to at least provide a copy of the funeral ad initially, if only to freeze the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

khlo12313 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

There isn't a Pure Telecom forum here so was wondering if someone could help.

My grandmother passed away in February. My uncle called the phone company and told them and they said to submit a death cert but we didn't have it at the time and then covid lockdown happened so he couldn't get out and is cocooning.

I was just looking at the email address I created for her to help her pay the bill online before and seen they were still sending bills so I logged on and seen that they were still billing and they had put on a charge for contract termination of 150 (if she were alive I would be going crazy of this charge to a 88 year old woman). I double checked the email address and there is no warning email or anything like that. The bill is now over 260. Everything was paid up to date in February and her bills always averaged 25-30 a month.

They're looking for her solicitor or executor of the will. My grandmother had neither of these. I'm not sure what to do here. She had enough to pay her funeral in her account and we asked for that to be given straight to the undertakers but that's it. There's nothing left over for that bill. Also, should we still have to pay for the months billed where there wasn't usage or should they have put a hold on the account when they were first informed?

Any of you could have ordered a death certificate online at any stage before now since February.

https://www2.hse.ie/services/births-deaths-and-marriages/get-certificates/get-an-irish-death-certificate-online.html

The phone company can’t just accept a verbal notice over the phone that a customer has died. I have no idea why you think there should be a different set of charges for elderly people? Sorry if you find this harsh but I can’t see how the service provider is wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The bill is your grandmothers and should be paid from her estate. If there is nothing left in her estate after paying for the funeral then they are out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Pistachio19

splinter65 wrote: »
    Any of you could have ordered a death certificate online at any stage before now since February.

https://www2.hse.ie/services/births-deaths-and-marriages/get-certificates/get-an-irish-death-certificate-online.html

The phone company can’t just accept a verbal notice over the phone that a customer has died. I have no idea why you think there should be a different set of charges for elderly people? Sorry if you find this harsh but I can’t see how the service provider is wrong here.

I never had to provide a death Cert to Eir when my mother died 4 years ago. They even sent a refund of rental from the month she died.

Has the death been registered? If so then order the death Cert online. Then get back to them with the Cert. There is no way in hell I'd be paying the cancellation fee of 150.

Advertisement