Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greatest Song Sung By A Woman.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Could I request a link to this YouTube guru also please.
    There are several out there and they are easy to find but if there is someone who comes highly recommended, then I would start there.

Just sent you a pm!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

There's one song in Playlist 8, which happens to be my favourite song of all-time, but I'm forced to give it a 0, because its very much a male lead with female harmonies and backing vocals, and it kills me to do it, but sadly it doesn't belong in this comp...

Have to stick to your principles!

I'm genuinely getting annoyed by the male led songs that are cropping up, what's the point? Could people not think of 15 great songs with female leads? Are these the sort of people who spend International Women's Day asking when International Men's Day is?!

Sorry, [/rant]

Are you all actually discussing your favourite spreadsheet features...

giphy.gif

I'll run a zoom tutorial for you to catch up if you want ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'm genuinely getting annoyed by the male led songs that are cropping up, what's the point? Could people not think of 15 great songs with female leads? Are these the sort of people who spend International Women's Day asking when International Men's Day is?!

Sorry, [/rant]

Maybe..... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Sorry, [/rant]

Yeah, it's definitely getting a bit tiresome. Goes against the whole purpose of the competition and getting a 0 from me each time, even if the song itself isn't bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'll run a zoom tutorial for you to catch up if you want ;)

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,870 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Sorry, [/rant]

I went on to my last.fm page. The first female vocalist was the Yeah Yeah Yeahs at number 83 followed by Amy Winehouse at 115. Does this mean I hate female singers? No I'm actually loving most of these songs, there's just not that many alternative/rock female singers and that's what I mostly listen to.

ShaneU wrote: »
    I went on to my last.fm page. The first female vocalist was the Yeah Yeah Yeahs at number 83 followed by Amy Winehouse at 115. Does this mean I hate female singers? No I'm actually loving most of these songs, there's just not that many alternative/rock female singers and that's what I mostly listen to.

giphy.gif

There are plenty of alternative/rock female singers

There's been very few in this contest so far

Doesn't mean they don't exist. Maybe you're just not familiar with a lot, but they're out there.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's kind of my issue :p

Does this mean I hate female singers? No I'm actually loving most of these songs

Ah, i wasn't seriously implying that. Just having a little rant. I don't want to highlight any individually but there's been some that are like 90% male lead, I just think they're out of place here. Especially given some of the omissions so far, hopefully they're due to come up though

And I'm more annoyed by people saying pivot tables are good!

Tell you what. As I have no idea how to do tables and charts, I’ll email you on the spreadsheet and you all can have a pivot off showing what songs were nominated most, what artist had the most songs nominated, what songs got the most 20s, etcetera etcetera etcetera.

All parts now uploaded. Need some unwind time for an hour so watching Gangs of London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Just sent you a pm!! :)

Could I get in on this too please.

Never thought this thread would offer me excel tips :D

First time I saw pivot tables in work I thought they were needlessly finicky and annoying. Then I figured out how it was actually working and was like "my God, this is amazing!" I very rarely use them though, not brave enough to build new ones myself so just fiddle around with the existing ones when necessary. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

giphy.gif

I haven't a clue what yiz are on about. I have just spent the last two days cursing excel...for reasons that have nothing to do with spreadsheets.

And I haven't even had time to listen to all of part 7 yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

$hite! ive missed all the prelims i think?!

You can still send in your scores for all the songs picked

I’m no longer accepting nominations but you can still get in on the voting action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

I’m no longer accepting nominations but you can still get in on the voting action.

at least i've part 1 here done! that was on excel from sat. WW just sucked me in!

i'll get the rest over by sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

My scores for group 5. Couple of songs that if this wasn't a best song by a woman would possibly have scored top marks, but ended up only getting a couple of consolation points instead because of the predominantly male singers.

SCORE NUMBER
    0 6
    2 4
    4 3
    6 3
    8 1
    10 2
    12 2
    14 1
    16 1
    18 2
    20 1

Group 6 - a few big scorers - loved Fight Like Apes - but overall my least favourite group so far.

SCORE NUMBER
    0 9
    2 1
    4 3
    6 4
    8 2
    10 0
    12 2
    14 1
    16 0
    18 1
    20 2

Group 7 - definitely my favourite group to date. Three top scores (including one of my nominations and one that I would have entered myself if I had remembered it as I rushed to put my list together). Flower of Scotland was a bit of a surprise I have to say. :)

SCORE NUMBER
    0 8
    2 0
    4 3
    6 1
    8 3
    10 3
    12 0
    14 4
    16 1
    18 0
    20 3

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Is A Change Would Do You Good meant to have all the background noises in it? Because it's losing a lot of points because of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Thanks. I'm judging on what's submitted, so wasn't sure. I'll restore the points, as I know the original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Well played whoever submitted Within Temptation, find of the contest so far for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,474 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Kolido wrote: »
    Well played whoever submitted Within Temptation, find of the contest so far for me.

\o/ I'll have ye all listening away to symphonic metal by the end of the competition ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

\o/ I'll have ye all listening away to symphonic metal by the end of the competition ;)

not really my style but for a while I was into Nightwish, when Tarja was the singer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Cuz you're a big guy, and you're good with knots?
    :p

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

9 zeros from me in round 7 (and that didn't even include Miss Hozier) not the strongest line-up.

Advertisement