Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greatest Song Sung By A Woman.

Comments

Thank You, Shane :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I'd give every song an average score

For the first 7 rounds that sounds like an average across 25 scores. For the last 7 an average across 24. I'd say there's a chance the last couple of rounds might be missing another set of results or two so that still works...

I'd agree with this.

bubblypop wrote: »
    I missed the nominations, & am catching up on rounds, but I seriously hope someone nominated Janelle Monae

Amazing

Damn yeah, that's another one actually.
    'Tightrope' would've been a good shout - one of Obama's favourite songs, afaik!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

That's them all folks.

35 boardsies nominated a total of 373 different songs.

1 song received 6 nominations.
    3 songs received 5 nominations.
    2 songs received 4 nominations.
    15 songs received 3 nominations.
    44 songs received 2 nominations.
    1 song was disqualified. Don't stop believin by Journey doesn't have a hint of female vocals.

2 artists have 9 different songs.
    1 artist have 6 different songs.
    5 artists have 5 different songs.
    5 artists have 4 different songs.
    17 artists have 3 different songs.
    40 artists have 2 different songs.

Well done, lots of work - I don't see a couple of my noms - are a few been kicked to the kerb? Or am I just getting list blind :D (It's probably the latter) Thanks Strawbs, currently working through the last 4 rounds.

ETA: it's just one actually - and I did see it somewhere I'm sure...

Pretzill wrote: »
    Well done, lots of work - I don't see a couple of my noms - are a few been kicked to the kerb? Or am I just getting list blind :D (It's probably the latter) Thanks Strawbs, currently working through the last 4 rounds.

ETA: it's just one actually - and I did see it somewhere I'm sure...

I’ll double check after my din dins

Unless you were the one who nominated don’t stop believing?????

• Advertisement

I’ll double check after my din dins

Unless you were the one who nominated don’t stop believing?????

Found it! Sorry it was all the way back in Round 3 - (it's small...)

Dammit! I was hoping i'd forgot it as I would put it up now and use it as an excuse to nominate one song myself.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

List 11 done.
    I'm getting to the point that the songs that I don't know don't really catch my attention in general and I end up scoring them in single digits.
    On a good note though, I'm really getting into Carole King.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,889 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Dammit! I was hoping i'd forgot it as I would put it up now and use it as an excuse to nominate one song myself.

I mean, I just wanted to say that there are at least 3 songs in my head which I was sure someone else would nominate but it seems everyone else left it to someone else.........

We could all have one more nom - make it an even 15 rounds :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

We could all have one more nom - make it an even 15 rounds :D

No, no more. I'm all rated out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

tenor.gif

There will be no more. I’ll save my one song for phatkev’s walrus

Hi Shane - is it easy to swap the KT Tunstall song (#2) for this one...?

https://play.google.com/music/m/Tw2tzq74qd7b4lcxr756qokv7aq?t=Black_Horse_And_The_Cherry_Tree_Live_On_Later_With_Jools_Holland_2004_-_KT_Tunstall

My nom. Sadly it's one of those songs that got murdered in the studio, the normal version is cack. When she turned up on her own to the Later... studio with just a guitar and a loop pedal though, I think the result was really special :)

Listening to the 12th list on spotify - I think the KT Tunstall version is the studio version and I really like it.
    I also heard though the live version and I can see why you prefer it - in a live environment it is very cool to see her building all the loops on the spot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,147 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

is there a deadline for submitting? think i have 3 more playlists to get through. can do those today if i havent missed the cutoff!

is there a deadline for submitting? think i have 3 more playlists to get through. can do those today if i havent missed the cutoff!

I'm open to correction, but I think we have until early next week to send our points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Listening to the 12th list on spotify - I think the KT Tunstall version is the studio version and I really like it.
    I also heard though the live version and I can see why you prefer it - in a live environment it is very cool to see her building all the loops on the spot :)

Cool, glad you like it :)

I saw Jools Holland that night and she was a late replacement, seemed really nervous, and it blew me away. The album I got had that live version on it so it was the original version for me, based off that I found the studio version pretty disappointing. It's still better than most though :)

and done!! This is a competition of epic proportions, fair play for organising Strawbs!! :)

I reckon I will be in contention for most 20 points awarded (I must be around 100 songs with maximum points) and less 0 points awarded (5 or 6).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

Irish Aris wrote: »
    and done!! This is a competition of epic proportions, fair play for organising Strawbs!! :)

I reckon I will be in contention for most 20 points awarded (I must be around 100 songs with maximum points) and less 0 points awarded (5 or 6).

I'm 12 playlists in, I don't think I've given anything less than a 7. Definitely should have adjusted my scale from the outset, but once I started my system, I figured I'd better stick with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,870 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Finished at last :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Too late to add a song, but there's one song I'm really hoping comes up!

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Shouldn't Pink's song Just Like A Pill be added to the mix? It came second in the song of the 00s competition.

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Shouldn't Pink's song Just Like A Pill be added to the mix? It came second in the song of the 00s competition.

No, no-one picked it so it isn't good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 12,901 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

ShaneU wrote: »
    No, no-one picked it so it isn't good enough

Tbf, I think it's better than the songs of hers that did make it.

Rothko wrote: »
    Tbf, I think it's better than the songs of hers that did make it.

They're all crap

• Registered Users Posts: 12,901 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Phew, well, I finally have all the my ratings submitted. It's been fun listening to them all though. I rediscovered some songs that I had even forgotten existed. Funny enough, if there was a song that I hope wins overall, it'd be one that I didn't even nominate.

Total Ratings:
    0: 17
    2:12
    4:14
    6:12
    8:42
    10: 64
    12:55
    14:64
    16:30
    18:38

I have one more round left to score - I'm glad there's no more. Thanks for two new to me's in round 13 Primitive - Roisin Murphy & Sapokanikan - Joanna Newsom - not sure if I love or hate the latter yet :cool:

I have almost marked all of 14 as most are familiar to me but I'll give it all a listen soon. I kind of think the winner is in a round before these last few but I think overall there were better line-ups in the last few rounds, if that makes any sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Thanks for two new to me's in round 13 Primitive - Roisin Murphy & Sapokanikan - Joanna Newsom - not sure if I love or hate the latter yet :cool:

Sapokanikan is one of my noms. Let me know when you figure out whether you love it or hate it... :D

Sapokanikan is one of my noms. Let me know when you figure out whether you love it or hate it... :D

She is certainly original, and it puts me in mind of this song:

by an Irish group I've heard little from lately.

• Advertisement

I have one more round left to score - I'm glad there's no more. Thanks for two new to me's in round 13 Primitive - Roisin Murphy & Sapokanikan - Joanna Newsom - not sure if I love or hate the latter yet :cool:

I have almost marked all of 14 as most are familiar to me but I'll give it all a listen soon. I kind of think the winner is in a round before these last few but I think overall there were better line-ups in the last few rounds, if that makes any sense.

Primitive is one of my nominations, I'm glad you like it, I have been advertising Roisin Murohy's first 2 solo albums to anyone who'd listen! :)

Advertisement