Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking payments over the phone

Options
  • 13-05-2020 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi All,

I recently signed up to SumUp for the office to take card payments (as pre-COVID used to deal in cash/cheque only). Anyway, SumUp wont give us the Virtual Terminal so we cannot take card payments without the card present.

What are is my best option from here? Are there any Virtual Terminals for over-the-phone/cardless transactions you can recommend. I'd really appreciate any help/advice - getting ready to start back trading next week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Stripe could be what you're after. I haven't used it for a while but it used to have a handy virtual terminal for taking customer not present payments I'd assume it's still a feature as it was pretty good. A lot of people use it so I'm sure someone will be able to pop by and confirm its still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Make It Real

Stripe would be well worth a look indeed.

A quick look here says that taking payments like this shouldn't be used as the your main method and should be in exceptional circumstances, but would definitely worth a further read:

https://support.stripe.com/questions/enter-customer-payment-information-manually-into-stripe-for-mail-or-telephone-orders

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

On the Stripe front, you can bang a card into their control panel and create a customer, you can then charge them. Just bear in mind, you have little to no protection from chargebacks as it's a manual payment. Something to keep in mind for large orders or new customers.

ironclaw wrote: »
    On the Stripe front, you can bang a card into their control panel and create a customer, you can then charge them. Just bear in mind, you have little to no protection from chargebacks as it's a manual payment. Something to keep in mind for large orders or new customers.

Can be done alright and I know someone whose been doing it for a few years successfully for occasional orders.

I know Stripe's documentation dissuades it, but I suspect they turn a blind eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

I am aware of two companies getting screwed in this set up. People order things for delivery and pay with card over the phone.

Then they claim it wasnt them and the companies are getting hit for the chargeback.

Something to consider.

• Advertisement

I wasn't aware of the chargeback aspect and good to know.

The person I know who uses it this way, does it in a very limited way and often sees the customer face to face in the end, so maybe they're less likely to be affected (or have been lucky).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I wasn't aware of the chargeback aspect and good to know.

Stripe is brutal for chargebacks. Unless the card passes 3D Secure, you are unlikely to win a chargeback without some really strong evidence to back up your case.

A phoned-in card is never going to satisfy a chargeback case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

ironclaw wrote: »
    Stripe is brutal for chargebacks. Unless the card passes 3D Secure, you are unlikely to win a chargeback without some really strong evidence to back up your case.

A phoned-in card is never going to satisfy a chargeback case.

One of the companies i mentioned now advises the customer to have the card for the delivery man to see and to sign the back of the debit card slip.
    One gob****e tried to do a scam by ordering for delivery to their friend, was told to have the card for inspection, and then wasnt there himself.

When rang, he argued to say he was now at home. He was told to come back or items would be returned to store. He didnt, and they were.

Advertisement