Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbecues on Balconies

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I think making a rule of gas only is a good one, who even bothers with real ones nowadays anyway as gas ones are far handier.

I don't really see much danger in a gas one they are very controlled and no chance of causing a fire imo.

Yet another reason to stay well clear of apartments though, you cant even have a bbq on a nice day without people losing it.

the flavour of charcoal always wins, gas is just using a grill outside, its the charcoal adds the flavour. I have a lot of Romanian and Polish friends, they would bbq a hell of a lot, its just a national obsession for them and charcoal is the only way , especially with wood chip smoking etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Our country's obsession with the barbecue has always stumped me. Have a neighbour who spent the guts of a grand on one. Lucky if he uses it twice a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Brego888 wrote: »
    Our country's obsession with the barbecue has always stumped me. Have a neighbour who spent the guts of a grand on one. Lucky if he uses it twice a year.

BBQ's are not just for summer and should be an extension of your kitchen and used all year round. I have a EUR1000+ egg and it is on hail, rain or shine and even use it on Christmas day. Cooking meat (especially steak) indoors is disgusting as stinks up the house and taste better when done outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,784 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Victor wrote: »
    You do realise that the Celtic Tiger started in 1993? The first recorded use of the phrase was in 1994.

Pretty much nobody uses it in the manner it was being used (sarcastic complaints about excess, consumerism etc) to mean anything before maybe 2002, though.

Here's a Woodies ad from 1992, if you really insist on 1993 being the cutoff though. Found Quinnsworth advertising both gas and charcoal in 1980; and I really can't be bothered going any earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

A simple letter stating that balcony owners would be liable for costs in the event of a fire would shut most of it down.

Good luck getting that money out of them! :D Irish people don't do personal responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

BailMeOut wrote: »
    BBQ's are not just for summer and should be an extension of your kitchen and used all year round. I have a EUR1000+ egg and it is on hail, rain or shine and even use it on Christmas day. Cooking meat (especially steak) indoors is disgusting as stinks up the house and taste better when done outdoors.

Ah jaysus. Seriously? That’s ridiculous. There’ll be a smell for a brief time after dinner and that’s it. This thing that most people do every single day is disgusting? If you find the smell of cooked meat disgusting, how much do you even like the stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Does anyone know if BBQs are specifically mentioned in some of the block insurance policys? and what happens if a fire subsequently is deemed to have been caused from a BBQ is the insurance then voided for that damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Doop wrote: »
    Does anyone know if BBQs are specifically mentioned in some of the block insurance policys? and what happens if a fire subsequently is deemed to have been caused from a BBQ is the insurance then voided for that damage?

Don't know for sure, but I know 1 thing - if insurance companies can find a way to get out of paying out, they will....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Ah jaysus. Seriously? That’s ridiculous. There’ll be a smell for a brief time after dinner and that’s it. This thing that most people do every single day is disgusting? If you find the smell of cooked meat disgusting, how much do you even like the stuff?

I stand by my comments. To cook a steak properly you need a very hot pan which will results if fat and oils splatering all over the cooker leaving a god awful mess and a smell of for a few hours. If you have a BBQ outside your kitchen door why not use it and get value from the investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

To cook a steak properly you need a very hot pan which will results if fat and oils splatering all over the cooker leaving a god awful mess and a smell of for a few hours.
    You can get solid or mesh covers for frying pans and use an extractor fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,784 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Victor wrote: »
    You can get solid or mesh covers for frying pans and use an extractor fan.

Which will help, a little. Its still going to be messy and very smelly.

A solid cover is a no-no though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mulbot wrote: »
    When I lived in a Canada, you would see most apartments had BBQ's on the balconies
    In Toronto, a lot of apartments forbid it as the heat would damage the balcony above. And this is in a place where the balconies reinforced concrete.

Most had a "communal" BBQ, that mainly the Irish & British would use. The Canadians would goto their "cottage" outside of the city limits for their BBQ's.

In Toronto, High Park had a few communal BBQ areas, and the Irish Twin Towers had some on the top of both of them.
    I think making a rule of gas only is a good one, who even bothers with real ones nowadays anyway as gas ones are far handier.
    Loads
    The added disadvantage of the gas BBQ is that when not in use, it'll still take up space. A lot of the normal ones can be folded up; the gas ones not so much.

=-=

Our gas BBQ was sold last week, as it was used maybe twice in the few years! Much prefer the charcoal taste.

TBH IMO, gas BBQ is about showing off; the gas cooks the food, like the George would. Charcoal or wood BBQ adds flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I stand by my comments. To cook a steak properly you need a very hot pan which will results if fat and oils splatering all over the cooker leaving a god awful mess and a smell of for a few hours. If you have a BBQ outside your kitchen door why not use it and get value from the investment.

Oh look, I’m all for using BBQs all year round. I just object to the idea that meat cooking smells are gross. Maybe I’m weird though - pig’s liver cooking is one of my favourite smells. :pac:

Advertisement