Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do Child Maintenance Payments Affect DA Payments

• 13-05-2020 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I send my partner child maintenance payments every month. She now wants them paid via Revolut in case they affect her DA review. I would have thought that as they're for the children and not her that it wouldn't be counted against her. Never married, two children. Can pay via Revolut it's no hassle, just curious if she's being paranoid or if she's correct.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Yes, maintenance is accessible against DA. You can see how it's worked out here

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jimbobjoe71

Thanks. I would have thought only spousal maintenance would count. I'll continue paying to her normal bank account so. I was a bit iffy about sending via Revolut anyway in case we end up in court over access or anthing. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

Maintenance is assessed, but you can offset accommodation costs (up to 95.23/week). So, as long as your maintenance is below accommodation costs, and below 95.23/week, then it won't affect your payment.

The other thing that catches some people out is that payments towards rent by the other parent can also count as maintenance. They can also try to assess other things like creche costs or other contributions made towards the child's welfare, although this can be challenged.

Maintenance is assessed, but you can offset accommodation costs (up to 95.23/week). So, as long as your maintenance is below accommodation costs, and below 95.23/week, then it won't affect your payment.

The other thing that catches some people out is that payments towards rent by the other parent can also count as maintenance. They can also try to assess other things like creche costs or other contributions made towards the child's welfare, although this can be challenged.

Thanks. She has no rent/mortgage costs. So it would just be household bills. €1k a month in child maintenance. I'll just keep paying the way I'm paying and let her work it out herself. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Thanks. She has no rent/mortgage costs. So it would just be household bills. €1k a month in child maintenance. I'll just keep paying the way I'm paying and let her work it out herself. Thanks.

Declaring that maintenance would reduce her DA from €275 ( I’m assuming she doesn’t work outside the home and that both your kids are under 12) to €150. That’s a saving of €125 to the taxpayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Can she claim DA while residing in Slovakia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Meeoow wrote: »
    Can she claim DA while residing in Slovakia?

No absolutely not. Just another greedy thief. OP you may not realise that if the mother of your children is in Slovakia that she shouldn’t be getting the DA. Totally illegal and it’s your duty to report it. She can apply for DA there. The child benefit is fine.

splinter65 wrote: »
    No absolutely not. Just another greedy thief. OP you may not realise that if the mother of your children is in Slovakia that she shouldn’t be getting the DA. Totally illegal and it’s your duty to report it. She can apply for DA there. The child benefit is fine.

To be honest I had no idea she was on it until she mentioned about the Revolut. Also to clarify not sure if it's DA or Illness Benefit that she's on, she would have the required stamps for Illness Benefit if they're different things. In a bit of a tricky spot as if it might be too coincidental if she was to ask me that and then suddenly be investigated. Though I did say it to my brother who can't stand her so he probably already has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭wifey28

To be honest I had no idea she was on it until she mentioned about the Revolut. Also to clarify not sure if it's DA or Illness Benefit that she's on, she would have the required stamps for Illness Benefit if they're different things. In a bit of a tricky spot as if it might be too coincidental if she was to ask me that and then suddenly be investigated. Though I did say it to my brother who can't stand her so he probably already has.

She no longer lives in the state, so she is not entitled to claim social welfare here.
    So she should be reported

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

If it is Illness Benefit, then the maintenance does not affect it at all, and she would be permitted to receive this in any EU state for a maximum of 2 years (or indefinitely if she started to receive it before 2009). Same goes with Invalidity Pension, it is not means tested and can be received outside of the State. If she is on Illness Benefit, she may also be entitled to retain her Child Benefit, depending on whether her previous employment is open to her.

Disability Allowance cannot be claimed outside of the State.

• Advertisement
Advertisement