Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cruiser

Options
  • 13-05-2020 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Never thought I would be in the market for one but I find myself thinking sure why not. The style of cruiser I like the look of is the Honda shadow, VTX, Yamaha Vulcan etc... Are there any Brands or models I should stay clear from regarding reliability. Budget is not massive around 2500-3k. I know the answer to this but new (second hand) gear will be needed as im sure I would look silly with my current textile gear?

This is a bike I would use on dry days once or twice a fortnight on my commute. I dont plan on keeping it more than 1 maybe 2 years so im not committed.

Failing the cruiser I still want to get my hands on a Aprilla Tuono but I dont mind staling that purchase for a bit.

Lastly JR motorcycles in wexford seem to have nice cruisers in. Anyone ever delt with them? How are they?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I am too far for JR in Wexford/Waterford but have heard of him. You would get the chance to look at several different bikes there. I have a dragstar 400cc myself and all I can say it they do a nice job when you are not doing too much town work. I would be tempted to stick with a belt or chain drive myself as the Yamaha XVS driveshaft can be a pain in heavy traffic. I think you can't go too far wrong with a Kaw Vulcan. Watch out for the poor turning circle another sticking point with the Dragstar. I tried doing a u-turn on it a few times in pretest and still have not managed it.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Thanks Nigel, I'm 80% motorway so no town riding. Why is a belt drive bad for town riding?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Thanks Nigel, I'm 80% motorway so no town riding. Why is a belt drive bad for town riding?

sorry about confusing you, it's the shaft that can be very notchy in the town, little ply with the clutch and shaft, the belt and chain is a bit better in my opinion.

Dan.

sorry about confusing you, it's the shaft that can be very notchy in the town, little ply with the clutch and shaft, the belt and chain is a bit better in my opinion.

I get you now. What about comfort? And getting tyres or parts? Any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I am too far for JR in Wexford/Waterford but have heard of him. You would get the chance to look at several different bikes there. I have a dragstar 400cc myself and all I can say it they do a nice job when you are not doing too much town work. I would be tempted to stick with a belt or chain drive myself as the Yamaha XVS driveshaft can be a pain in heavy traffic. I think you can't go too far wrong with a Kaw Vulcan. Watch out for the poor turning circle another sticking point with the Dragstar. I tried doing a u-turn on it a few times in pretest and still have not managed it.

Realistically, you shouldn't notice any difference between a shaft an anything else. I bought my first chain-driven bike in 20+ years lately, and I'd forgotten how much of a PITA they are. Police and Blood Bikes are (nearly all shaft) and do big miles in town with no problems. My own long-time bike is belt, and it is brilliant, I agree.

Any of the Jap cruisers should be good: Dragstar, Shadow etc. And good value too .

As for u-turning the Dragstar - it's not the bike, it's the technique... ;)

https://youtu.be/W0NpE2Ax7WE

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I have a Dragstar 650 which I'm preparing to sell at the moment, and frankly it's been my absolute favourite bike.

While not pushing it, I'd totally suggest reading up on the bike itself as it's great to ride and seriously comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

Never thought I would be in the market for one but I find myself thinking sure why not. The style of cruiser I like the look of is the Honda shadow, VTX, Yamaha Vulcan etc... Are there any Brands or models I should stay clear from regarding reliability. Budget is not massive around 2500-3k. I know the answer to this but new (second hand) gear will be needed as im sure I would look silly with my current textile gear?

This is a bike I would use on dry days once or twice a fortnight on my commute. I dont plan on keeping it more than 1 maybe 2 years so im not committed.

Failing the cruiser I still want to get my hands on a Aprilla Tuono but I dont mind staling that purchase for a bit.

Lastly JR motorcycles in wexford seem to have nice cruisers in. Anyone ever delt with them? How are they?

Friend selling his drag star 650 next week only 8k miles on it very good condition, comes with screen and panniers think its 04 reg. I have very clean 05 tuono silver with red wheels. And an Enfield continental gt bit over budget though.

Thanks fatbast. Ill have a look.

Never thought I would be in the market for one but I find myself thinking sure why not.

Indeed, that's how I ended up on one, now can't figure out how it took me so long to get around to it.

After many years of all kinds of stuff, but one as a kind of stopgap bike.

13 years and 55k later...........it's still here. Must be something right about it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Indeed, that's how I ended up on one, now can't figure out how it took me so long to get around to it.

After many years of all kinds of stuff, but one as a kind of stopgap bike.

13 years and 55k later...........it's still here. Must be something right about it.

I have read through the older threads and looked at the pros and cons. If I dont like it ill just try something else. that was the reason for having a second bike anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

galwaytt wrote: »
    Realistically, you shouldn't notice any difference between a shaft an anything else. I bought my first chain-driven bike in 20+ years lately, and I'd forgotten how much of a PITA they are. Police and Blood Bikes are (nearly all shaft) and do big miles in town with no problems. My own long-time bike is belt, and it is brilliant, I agree.

Have to agreed here. We've had two work bikes which was shaft drive (Kawasaki GT550 and the Honda Deauville, and both done a lot of miles in the city.

I've owned two shaft driven bikes, a BMW R1100S and my present R1200GS and tbh I'd be very reluctant to go back to chain drives and all that work in maintaining them (even with a Scottoiler).

What I have found with various cruisers I've rode in traffic over the years is that in heavy traffic the forward pegs make lifting your legs forward all the time becomes tiring, otherwise I like cruisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Have to agreed here. We've had two work bikes which was shaft drive (Kawasaki GT550 and the Honda Deauville, and both done a lot of miles in the city.

I've owned two shaft driven bikes, a BMW R1100S and my present R1200GS and tbh I'd be very reluctant to go back to chain drives and all that work in maintaining them (even with a Scottoiler).

What I have found with various cruisers I've rode in traffic over the years is that in heavy traffic the forward pegs make lifting your legs forward all the time becomes tiring, otherwise I like cruisers.

My wife's sportster 1200 has mid mounted pegs and I commute to work on it at the moment . It's like motorized bicycle in traffic.

I'd forgotten about that: on my H-D I removed the 'rocker' gear lever so that my legs sit at an (approx) 90 degrees with feet on the boards, and I've added a rider backrest: livesaver. I'm not a fan of forward controls, and found for instance those on a VRSC unbearable.

That said, many of the Jap cruisers arent' as extreme, so OP I'd say just try one.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭johnml

I've never been to JR motorcycles in Wexford but I've heard he's good to deal with. He usually would have some bikes in your price range. Shadow 750 and similar.

Maybe you could test ride a few cruisers and see how you feel OP.
    I was always a cruiser man until last year I decided to get a sports tourer. It was a great bike but not for me. I sold it a couple of weeks ago and bought another cruiser straight away!!! Cruisers all the way for me!!!!
    OP best of luck with it, the research and the hunting is the best part!

Advertisement