Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Larger birds in back garden...neighbours not happy

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Phil.x

OP, keep up the good work, I have many bird feeders also neighbour's have a nest in their roof with chicks and the sound at feeding time in the mornings and evenings is something else.

It's not antisocial to feed wild birds only a birdbrain would come up with such rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Also remember your badger is probably keeping the rats away from your garden.

I think its the seagulls that gets many people's backs up.

He's a good badger. I accidentally closed a gate on him a while back and had to catch him to get him back out. They're much bigger in person.
    I have a fox that visits too.
    I grew up on the coast and the gulls are definitely loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Phil.x wrote: »

It's not antisocial to feed wild birds only a birdbrain would come up with such rubbish.

In the UK you can have an Anti-Social Behavioral Order(ASBO) placed against you if you attract too many birds to your street.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

degsie wrote: »
    In the UK you can have an Anti-Social Behavioral Order(ASBO) placed against you if you attract too many birds to your street.

How many is too many??
    Is it by type of bird etc

To all posters thanks for the responses agreeing/ disagreeing good or bad...I just wanted some thoughts from others on feeding the larger birds and also had anyone else had problems with their feeders especially ones that were supposed to be crow/ large bird proof but by design were actually not

Love, peace and bananas to all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Phil.x wrote: »

Just as well no one suggested that. ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Well, I sometimes get caught up in a thread whose title just catches my attention in the "latest posts" list on the home page. Have to say this has been one of the most bizarre and entertaining ones in a long time.

Hope I catch another good one tomorrow!

'Bye folks. As somebody else said, love, peace, and bananas to all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

New Home wrote: »
    MOD: Right, everyone. Please cut the bickering out and if you can't post constructively there's the door, don't let it hit you on the way out. That goes for both sides of the argument.

Bet you don't have to post something like that too often on the bird watching forum.

With all due respect we're not in the UK.

Well, I sometimes get caught up in a thread whose title just catches my attention in the "latest posts" list on the home page. Have to say this has been one of the most bizarre and entertaining ones in a long time.

Hope I catch another good one tomorrow!

'Bye folks. As somebody else said, love, peace, and bananas to all.

Threads titled ..."neighbours not happy" you can expect to be entertaining and get the popcorn ready.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »

Ha ha ha ha, the antisocial birdman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Lots of large birds in my garden....most over 6ft tall,I'm not complaining:)
    1_v6evNYJEAlyp-1IZFWxRGw.jpeg

A friend of mine had a nest of small birds on the ledge outside the window of his office. He said he loved coming in to the office everyday to see if they had hatched. Came in one day to find a seagull in the middle of its breakfast.

Also the hooded crow and rook are known to steal eggs of other birds and feed on smaller birds.

Larger seagulls have been known to eat baby rabbits.

If you genuinely love small birds please stop attracting larger predators into the habitat you created for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    Readers as I mentioned I have taken steps to reduce ground feed and will stop altogether.

Why would you not just stop now though? What are you waiting for?

Just because its your garden doesnt mean you can do what you want by the way, or would you be happy if your neighbour starting fixing lawnmowers and motorbikes in his back garden every morning?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

upupup wrote: »
    Lots of large birds in my garden....most over 6ft tall,I'm not complaining:)
    1_v6evNYJEAlyp-1IZFWxRGw.jpeg

Scary... looks like a collection of old Barbies... or dressed-up stick insects...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Jeez that could be a serious problem if you were a good looking guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

New Home wrote: »
    Scary... looks like a collection of old Barbies... or dressed-up stick insects...
    Reminds me a bit of The Island of the Dolls!
    ps do not look that up if you want to sleep tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Bet you don't have to post something like that too often on the bird watching forum.

Someone got stabbed with the stem of a wine glass at the last Boards beers for saying Hedge Sparrow and Dunnock mean the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Gerry T

I'm guessing as your an early riser OP you prob go to bed early also. How would you like your neighbour playing loud music at night, not lifting the roof but enough to grate on your nerves and disturbe your sleep. Would that be ok, every night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mod: That's it, I'm deleting the last inane comment and locking the thread. This isn't After Hours, folks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement