Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pure Telecom upgrade to Fibre

• 13-05-2020 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭

First of all I'd like to say that this is not a go at Pure Telecom they've been amazingly helpful anytime I was on the phone with them and the normal broadband I had with them (eir network) was fantastic.

So they rang me up and asked me do I want to "upgrade" to Fibre, same price. My contact got extended 6 months but still the same 35 a month for broadband and landline.

Anyway without even thinking I says yes.

Next thing I know there's a guy drilling holes all over my house which I didn't know was gonna happen until he starts drilling!

I wouldn't even mind that but it's a HUGE downgrade in quality. I was on the piggybacked Eir network which was fantastic. Got about 4.2mb/sec download and a seriously good upload.

Not I get 2.2 download MAX and the upload is practically non-existent. The upload is woeful. Dial-up almost. This is really noticeable as I'm working from home at the moment (Citrix) and it's freezing and lagging everywhere on "fibre". On EIR it was brilliant. Like working in the office

I guess if something ain't broke don't try and fix it...
    But what are my options?

The fibre in my area is new so maybe they're still working on it?
    Can I go back to EIR and leave all the holes in my gaff go to waste?

Bit of painful situation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

ED E wrote: »

asada.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Ring up your provider and log a fault. Sounds like you have fiber installed but it ain't working right. Also make sure any speed tests you do are hard wired from router to laptop/PC to rule out any obscure wireless issues.

Jim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The drilling makes me think FTTH so theres no way it should be like that, as above log it with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Thanks for advice, now that's I've tested it on different devices the problem appears to be on my desktop computer.
    For some reason the upload is absolutely cat and the download is much worse too.
    The first image is the speedtest on my phone and then the second on my desktop pc, done just after the other.

Can a certain wireless receiver have problems with a different connection/modem? It's a cheap Chinese wireless adapter as my desktop doesn't have wireless built in (But it had no problems with last connection)

Screenshot-20200514-115822.png
    sccssc.png
    site for uploading photos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Maybe you're connecting on 5GHz wifi with the newer router as opposed to 2.4GHz on the old one. Maybe.. You can probably check this in the router setup page. Either way if the issue is with your equipment then the solution is in your control which is the better problem to have.

Some cheap chinesium type adapters can sometimes cause fickle issues that aren't worth the hassle to troubleshoot.

Jim

Advertisement