Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Road bike, loads of questions :)

Options
  • 13-05-2020 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hey, just got myself a new bike and looking at putting in a lot of effort this year with triathlons and aiming for an ironman down the line. Up to now I've had a "hand me down" but I've just bought a Giant Propelle Adavance 2020. I absolutely love it but my god do I feel like I know nothing about it 😂

First main question I have is about the tubeless tyres. What would I want to be bringing with me on rides, yes I hear punctures are rare but if anyone is going to find one it is me.

Thanks again and any other tips or tricks I'd be more than happy to take them on board.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

19gerwin90 wrote: »
    Hey, just got myself a new bike and looking at putting in a lot of effort this year with triathlons and aiming for an ironman down the line. Up to now I've had a "hand me down" but I've just bought a Giant Propelle Adavance 2020. I absolutely love it but my god do I feel like I know nothing about it 😂

First main question I have is about the tubeless tyres. What would I want to be bringing with me on rides, yes I hear punctures are rare but if anyone is going to find one it is me.

Thanks again and any other tips or tricks I'd be more than happy to take them on board.

Good luck with the bike. I just bought a defy advanced 2 2020 with tubeless.
    Basically, I have a tube, pump and tyre levers to get me out of a hole if I get a puncture. You can put tubes in them.
    I bought a crossbar bag and I put everything in that. U lock, my lunch for work, pair of jeans, pump, spare tube etc and it was €20 on amazon.

See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

byrnem31 wrote: »
    See here.

jasus, thats huge.

no space for the water bottles x2, a must for any reasonable length of ride.

get a pump that can strap to the water bottle bolts and a saddlebag for the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

EDIT

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

A tube, pump or CO2 and tire levers is probably good to be on the safe side.

You could also use plugs to fill any punctures that won't seal (I've had one in 1500km). I've found these awkward to use but have heard good reviews of either Dynaplug or Stan's Dart. If very brave / have someone to collect you, then you might get away with just this and no tube/tire levers etc.

There's a good thread on here on tubeless road which would be worth reading through - it is good to see problems others have to think about how you would deal with the same one out on the road, and what others carry with them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

2 tubes, 2 tyre levers, small hand pump (a reliable brand though), CO2 is nice but not necessary, (these should all fit in a small/medium saddle bag). 2 bottles of water (in your water bottle holders), your debit/credit card or a small amount of cash and something sugary for emergencies. Lastly a phone is always handy (these last ones all in your pockets). Everything else is extra.

I always feel a few cable ties are handy but I can't explain why, when you need them, which you may never, you will know.

jasus, thats huge.

no space for the water bottles x2, a must for any reasonable length of ride.

get a pump that can strap to the water bottle bolts and a saddlebag for the rest

I know but that bag is to go to work. I fit a u lock, Jean's, lunch etc and its only a half hour cycle. It was either that or a back pack and getting into work with a sweaty back and sac. It's a dead handy bag as I had a rack on my nuroad but it looked poxy. I looked like a 70 year old going to the shops to get bread and milk. I hate rear racks.

Funnily enough I can fit one water bottle underneath it. On long rides though, I'd whip it off and and attach the saddle bag which has all the bits and pieces in it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

You could probably fit a spare Giant Propel in that saddle bag. Or at least a TCR. Be fierce handy to have a spare bike if you get a puncture out and about. :)

fat bloke wrote: »
    You could probably fit a spare Giant Propel in that saddle bag. Or at least a TCR. Be fierce handy to have a spare bike if you get a puncture out and about. :)

It's great. The kids and all fit in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 19gerwin90

Massive thank you for all the feedback guys. Not going to lie the option of a spare tube completely slipped my mind and the minute that was mentioned was a massive facepalm moment....

Certainly will get myself a saddle bag that I can whip on, went for a cycle yesterday evening and about 10km out I had the I am going to be stranded feeling..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CramCycle wrote: »
    2 tubes, 2 tyre levers, small hand pump (a reliable brand though), CO2 is nice but not necessary, (these should all fit in a small/medium saddle bag). 2 bottles of water (in your water bottle holders), your debit/credit card or a small amount of cash and something sugary for emergencies. Lastly a phone is always handy (these last ones all in your pockets). Everything else is extra.

I always feel a few cable ties are handy but I can't explain why, when you need them, which you may never, you will know.
    If you need to save space/weight, you can use the QR skewer handles as tyre levers and stick the cable ties inside the drops.

Advertisement