Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballpark figure for block wall

Options
  • 13-05-2020 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

Hi all, need to replace a rotting fence around our property and considering different options etc.

Wondering what a ballpark figure would be for a block wall. Approx. 400ft long in total - height around 3ft. Anyone hazard a guess to how much that would cost to get built?
    Thanks in advance for help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Whats the access like?
    how big a digger could you get in to dig the foundations?
    Can you get a RORO skip in and use a small dumper to load all the excess soil etc from the trench?
    Can a truck get in to drop off the blocks?
    Whats the ground like, flat or sloped?

All of the above will impact the price.
    the block work is the least of your worries: 4" on flat with piers( and matching foundations) every 6 metres would be done very quickly

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭who what when

Well if you are going with 9 inch hollow blocks which would be fine if just going 3 foot high assuming a level enough site with easy access then I would say;
    - you need about 1500 blocks
    - someone to lay 1500 blocks
    - dig foundation (mini-digger for a day)
    - mark out and pour foundation
    - capping

If you got it done for under €5000 you'd be doing well.
    If you add plastering to it then add a couple of thousand more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Whats the access like?
    how big a digger could you get in to dig the foundations?
    Can you get a RORO skip in and use a small dumper to load all the excess soil etc from the trench?
    Can a truck get in to drop off the blocks?
    Whats the ground like, flat or sloped?

All of the above will impact the price.
    the block work is the least of your worries: 4" on flat with piers( and matching foundations) every 6 metres would be done very quickly

Presuming farmer who owns fields surrounding me would allow it - unlimited space for machinery. So yes for the questions about dumpers etc.

Ground is sloping - i guess about 6-7% gradient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Well if you are going with 9 inch hollow blocks which would be fine if just going 3 foot high assuming a level enough site with easy access then I would say;
    - you need about 1500 blocks
    - someone to lay 1500 blocks
    - dig foundation (mini-digger for a day)
    - mark out and pour foundation
    - capping

If you got it done for under €5000 you'd be doing well.
    If you add plastering to it then add a couple of thousand more.

Would not need plastering. If I could get it done for 5k I'd be happy enough tbh. Worth looking around for a quote so :)

Advertisement