Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wondering if this sounds right - speeds on SIRO/Vodafone

• 14-05-2020 3:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭

hi all
    Just looking for advice here
    after 1o years with eir & being told I couldnt get FTTH because my house wasnt connected for some reason, I finally decided to give Vodafone 1Gb plan a installed by SIRO a try

they came last friday
    put the cable in through my wall straight from the electricity pole & left without checking speeds, told me to give it 15 minutes for it to get running correctly

the only thing I use the LAN cable for (and is close enough) is my sons ps4, i was delighted to see speeds of 500+ on the playstation speedtest although I know its not the most accurate

my phone ( a modern 2019 model Smartphone) gets speeds of roughly 130 during the day & anything from 200- 300 at night ,

my laptop which is about 4-5 years old gets about 50 download on wifi , about 8 feet from the modem

I know the age and technology capabilities for these items make a big difference and these are all speeds I can live with
    ( highest & most common speed with eir was 67 download)

but im a bit perplexed that the network seems to slow downduring the day I rang about it to vodafone today, they were adjusting things on there side and kept asking me to do speedchecks on the PS4.. I kept getting 44 mbps down

they put me on hold then and came back and said its due to the playstations capabilities and its also cos so many people are off work that they will be playing PS4 and slowing the network down..

does this ring right to anyone ?

if I have an issue id liek to sort it before my cooling off period is off , they are adamant that they are getting full speeds on there side

its not a big thing but would be nice to get a 3rd of the speeds advertised at least reguarly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Just to add that the Vodafone technical support guy asked me to test on my laptop later on & make sure I'm using the LAN cable that came with the gigabox ( I have been using this ) so I did do a wired test and the speed was 99Mbps download & roughly the same upload

Just to add that the Vodafone technical support guy asked me to test on my laptop later on & make sure I'm using the LAN cable that came with the gigabox ( I have been using this ) so I did do a wired test and the speed was 99Mbps download & roughly the same upload

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

oranbhoy67 wrote: »

Your laptop may have a 100Mbps Ethernet network card. Or it may not be configured to run at full 1Gbps . Or it could be a bad cable .What make/model is the laptop ?

long_b wrote: »
    Your laptop may have a 100Mbps Ethernet network card. Or it may not be configured to run at full 1Gbps . Or it could be a bad cable .What make/model is the laptop ?

its a hp pavillion 13 notebook
    I dont mind the speeds I get on anything tbh but the PS4 is quite a drop in speed during the day & I had assumed that the speed would stay steady with this type of service?

so was just wanting to know are vodafone being honest with me basically whilst im still in the 14 day cooling off period

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MozyMan

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    its a hp pavillion 13 notebook
    I dont mind the speeds I get on anything tbh but the PS4 is quite a drop in speed during the day & I had assumed that the speed would stay steady with this type of service?

so was just wanting to know are vodafone being honest with me basically whilst im still in the 14 day cooling off period

I can't be sure on your laptop (whether is has a gigabit ethernet port), but realistically you'll never see your PS4 pulling down a full gigabit. Can't be sure the server you're connecting to supports gigabit up.
    I've gigabit at the moment, and every now and again *might* see 500 ish when doing a test connection.
    Something to note as well, Sony has said they're throttling speeds server side, similar to Netflix/Amazon Prime and stuff.

https://www.engadget.com/2020-03-25-xbox-playstation-adjust-networks-demand-coronavirus.html

• Advertisement

MozyMan wrote: »
    I can't be sure on your laptop (whether is has a gigabit ethernet port), but realistically you'll never see your PS4 pulling down a full gigabit. Can't be sure the server you're connecting to supports gigabit up.
    I've gigabit at the moment, and every now and again *might* see 500 ish when doing a test connection.
    Something to note as well, Sony has said they're throttling speeds server side, similar to Netflix/Amazon Prime and stuff.

https://www.engadget.com/2020-03-25-xbox-playstation-adjust-networks-demand-coronavirus.html

thanks
    I dont think the Laptop has a gigabit enabled ethernet port
    that makes sense about the Playstation, I had read netflix etc were doing that & I think thats what the guy from vodafone was saying to me & trying to explain to me but he and I both have foreign accents plus the line was very low so a failure in communication, thanks for help !

Advertisement