Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any personal achievements during the lockdown ? ?

Options
  • 14-05-2020 9:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭

Have you regignited any ideas you've always had in your head during the lockdown ?
    But never had the time to get started.

I bought quite a bit of kit myself, I always wanted to get into leather craft and never had the time or the peace to sit back and say to myself, Peter what would you like to do ?
    So I've come up with a lot of ideas, and with leather craft in Ireland the world's at your feet if you've unique ideas. I'm quite good at illustration and design so it's worth a shot.
    I'm steady and good with concentration, so cutting leather into intrinsic shape's wouldn't bother me...
    I'll do anything from a keyring to a handbag or wallet, Viking body armour, purses, if someone wanted a custom made leather face mask cover, I'll design them their own personal gimp mask, as it's all the rage now.

I have an unique idea and I searched Google to see if it's available or someone has a patent, it's not.

So I think I'll get started small obviously,and work on a few ideas, send some samples of my work to tourism shops, and independent boutiques see if they sell... after all they'll be handmade and every product will be unique..

It's worth a shot, because if there's a second wave during the winter you won't have me doing nothing with my time...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I've set a personal record for the amount of trips from the couch to the fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

nthclare wrote: »
    Have you regignited any ideas you've always had in your head during the lockdown ?

I bought quite a bit of kit myself, I always wanted to get into leather craft and never had the time or the peace to sit back and say to myself, Peter what would you like to do ?
    So I've come up with a lot of ideas, and with leather craft in Ireland the world's at your feet if you've unique ideas. I'm quite good at illustration and design so it's worth a shot.
    I'm steady and good with concentration, so cutting leather into intrinsic shape's wouldn't bother me...
    I'll do anything from a keyring to a handbag or wallet, Viking body armour, purses, if someone wanted a custom made leather face mask cover, I'll design them their own personal gimp mask, as it's all the rage now.

I have an unique idea and I searched Google to see if it's available or someone has a patent, it's not.

So I think I'll get started small obviously,and work on a few ideas, send some samples of my work to tourism shops, and independent boutiques see if they sell... after all they'll be handmade and every product will be unique..

It's worth a shot, because if there's a second wave during the winter you won't have me doing nothing with my time...

Fair play to you.

I planted a veg garden that would feed a small town and built 5 bee gives and 5 nuc hives.

Have studied for hours every day on beekeeping for the last month.

Going to aim for 20 colonies going in to winter and really take it to the next level next year, aim for 50+.

A warm summer this year will make it much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,514 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Redownloaded skyrim, 100s mods and finally finished all the guilds :pac:

I’ve mastered the perfect Mojito.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Danzy wrote: »
    Fair play to you.

I planted a veg garden that would feed a small town and built 5 bee gives and 5 nuc hives.

Going to aim for 20 colonies going in to winter and really take it to the next level next year, aim for 50+.

Hopefully you'll get your warm summer, if we let the meadows re-emerge around the country side we could all have our local honey...

Are you in the West of Ireland or the East, honey definitely tastes different from the different locations even in Clare...

It all depends on where and what plants the bees are getting their nectar from.

Like the bees extracting nectar from the plant's in the Burren is going to be different from the bee's extracting the nectar from the plant's in the local park.
    I have a press full of different honey :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Danzy wrote: »
    Fair play to you.

Hopefully you'll get your warm summer, if we let the meadows re-emerge around the country side we could all have our local honey...

Are you in the West of Ireland or the East, honey definitely tastes different from the different locations even in Clare...

Like the bees extracting nectar from the plant's in the Burren is going to be different from the bee's extracting the nectar from the plant's in the local park.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

One of the days I ate an entire pack of jam wagon wheels in my boxers, I feel like thats either the peak of Everest or rock bottom in my life, I'm not sure yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

The 3 yr old has not worn a dry-night since Sunday, the bed has remained dry all week.

North Cork.

Lot of traditional pastures here still, lots of hedgerows, felled forestry and woodland.

So kinda blessed but that but high so weather can be a problem.

Have started jarring some individual parts of frames to get single source honey and the diverse flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Started walking 6.5km per day, eating less bread and stuff, managed to shed a stone in two months whilst still having a few beers at the weekend. Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I've set a personal record for the amount of trips from the couch to the fridge[/quote
    You're doing that yourself? Whats your wife doing all day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Learned how to solve a Rubiks cube ... down to about 10mins.
    I suspect those lads doing it in seconds are using witchcraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

Completed a course in Linux on LinuxAcademy and in HTML on freecodeacademy. CSS next, then JavaScript.

Finally started getting to grips with Advanced Squad Leader rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

I can now drink 6 cans and act completely sober - the wife is losing every round of the "were you drinking?" game now :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I had already taken up a tiny bit of running, but decided to use the extra time of the lockdown to really push it, with the opportunity to have regular free time.

I've lost 5 stone/ 31KG since it started now. I'm nearly what you'd call healthy :D I can run a 5k every second day happily, and when I started I could only run a couple hundred metres.

I've also started a new career as software developer- although that was in the works before the lockdown too, it's all happened since and kept me busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

Very good. About 6 months into my new leather craft hobby. Just learning the basics - nothing useful made yet.

Where do you buy your leather?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Sad but true I discovered 96 hour deodorant does exactly what it says on the tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Revit Man

I had already taken up a tiny bit of running, but decided to use the extra time of the lockdown to really push it, with the opportunity to have regular free time.

I've lost 5 stone/ 31KG since it started now. I'm nearly what you'd call healthy :D I can run a 5k every second day happily, and when I started I could only run a couple hundred metres.

I've also started a new career as software developer- although that was in the works before the lockdown too, it's all happened since and kept me busy.

You've lost 5 stone since it started... what 'it'...? Lockdown etc? If so, 5 stone in about 10 weeks :eek::eek:

Amazing going though even if it was in 52 weeks. Well done :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

theteal wrote: »
    The 3 yr old has not worn a dry-night since Sunday, the bed has remained dry all week.

Would be great to get tips on how you managed that! Our nearly 4 yo has occasional dry nights.

My achievement is diet related. (started mid Feb) but lost 3 stone, 2 off which occurred during lockdown. All done through foods. Then cleaned out the shed and found bench press, dumbells, barbells, cross trainer etc.... So pushing on with exercise now!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Revit Man wrote: »
    You've lost 5 stone since it started... what 'it'...? Lockdown etc? If so, 5 stone in about 10 weeks :eek::eek:

Amazing going though even if it was in 52 weeks. Well done :cool:

From about 3 weeks before the lockdown. I know it sounds insane, but it's true.

I gave up the aul alcohol at the same time. Don't eat much rubbish. Less calories in + more calories out = insane weight loss it seems.

Should be noted when you're really heavy like I am... was? It takes a whole **** tonne extra energy to run too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭elli21

Started to eat 16/8 five weeks ago and have lost 1 st.Have way more energy than of late.
    Garden is looking fantastic.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I made a website.

I'm an artist with some shops and never bothered with a website as my business was good enough. I'm not hugely computer literate so it really was starting from scratch. I started building it about 4 weeks ago and went live about 2 weeks ago and have been getting sales through it.

It was a huge learning curve and the site still needs a lot of work and it'll be one of those things that'll continue to evolve (like my shops). But after weeks of frustration, sleepless nights of copy and pasting and dragging and clicking I'm kinda on top of it now.

I'm looking forward to having my shops going again and the online end of the business working together. I'm looking forward to getting more adventurous with advertising (that's another thing I'd to learn about). I can't wait for international mail to resume as my biggest buyers would be the French but also Europe in general, Japan and US.

This virus really exposed how vulnerable my business is. I'd only returned from an extended break in Vietnam into this mess in Europe so savings had been spent, Paddy's weekend, Easter etc. are times I'd rely on to boost the coffers. That was all gone- like a rug being pulled from under me.

However instead of letting it get me down I concentrated on an area of business I'd ignored. And while a job in front of a computer isn't for me it has been a great place to focus the mind (and create). One of my business partners lives local so it has been great to connect with someone in the same place and bounce ideas off over a few socially distanced beers. It has given me something to connect with my 16 year old daughter over (she lives 70km away) She's been really helpful.

A lot of businesses are facing a very tough future but not only has doing the website given me something to occupy my worried mind, a sense of worth, a social outlet and a new thing I learned- it has now given me a re-found sense of excitement for the future. That future is a bit away but at least I can now see it.

tldr: made a website which is not a blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Edgware wrote: »
    PsychoPete wrote: »
    I've set a personal record for the amount of trips from the couch to the fridge
    You're doing that yourself? Whats your wife doing all day?

Surprisingly doing a lot less than that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Have lost a stone and half. Clothes gone all loose. Delighted with myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Am working through "The Complete Sherlock Holmes" collection. But I'm still working from home 10-6 so my day is still in front of a computer screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Stayed off the drink

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Jim Root wrote: »
    Stayed off the drink

I'm probably drinking more but saving more since a pint in the pub is about 6 euros but a 500ml can is about 1 euro. I'm currently in Holland so a 6pack in the supermarket is about a fiver. Some beers are only 49c a can.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

One of the days I ate an entire pack of jam wagon wheels in my boxers, I feel like thats either the peak of Everest or rock bottom in my life, I'm not sure yet.

That begs one question:

Why was there an entire packet of jam wagon wheels in your boxers?

• Advertisement

Fantastic achievement.

Advertisement