Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eir webmail notifications

• 14-05-2020 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭

Would appreciate a bit of guidance

For the last year I am continually getting emails telling me that my webmail account is closing down or needs to be verified or updated or will be closed in 24 hours etc etc. I have not responded to any of these emails and once manged to negotiate the hostile web of obstruction generated by Eir to prevent customers contacting them but only managed to contact what appeared to be someone in an offshore call centre and who assured me that the emails were fraud efforts.

Sadly I m not really re-assured by this person and s English was not his first language and I am not confident he understood the issue.

Can anyone else offer guidance. I still use it and the service is uninterrupted but the incoming emails are relentless

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭gipi

The only decision eir made recently regarding the webmail service was to introduce a monthly charge (currently on hold due to the pandemic). At the time, eir stated that people who didn't sign up within 2 months would have their email service withdrawn.

Being eir, they managed not to tell all of their webmail users about it directly (I found out here on boards).

The emails you're getting certainly sound like spam or phishing, where you click on a link in the email and enter details such as passwords on a fake site. Can you see the actual email address of the sender to check?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

gipi wrote: »
    The only decision eir made recently regarding the webmail service was to introduce a monthly charge (currently on hold due to the pandemic). At the time, eir stated that people who didn't sign up within 2 months would have their email service withdrawn.

Being eir, they managed not to tell all of their webmail users about it directly (I found out here on boards).

The emails you're getting certainly sound like spam or phishing, where you click on a link in the email and enter details such as passwords on a fake site. Can you see the actual email address of the sender to check?

Afraid to click on anything. Not very tecky and concerned that it I reply at all I will invite a hot of virus' and more spam emails

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Truthvader wrote: »
    Would appreciate a bit of guidance

For the last year I am continually getting emails telling me that my webmail account is closing down or needs to be verified or updated or will be closed in 24 hours etc etc. I have not responded to any of these emails and once manged to negotiate the hostile web of obstruction generated by Eir to prevent customers contacting them but only managed to contact what appeared to be someone in an offshore call centre and who assured me that the emails were fraud efforts.

Sadly I m not really re-assured by this person and s English was not his first language and I am not confident he understood the issue.

Can anyone else offer guidance. I still use it and the service is uninterrupted but the incoming emails are relentless

Getting them too, for a long time. They're phishing emails and can be safely ignored.

Eir were due to close down @eircom.net accounts recently but postponed due to Covid so it might be time to look to other email providers.

Jim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Eircom is a horrible email provider anyway, nobody uses them any more. For those with existing accounts they should at least offer email redirection from their old address to the new.

The old servers run hackable accounts with 6 megabytes of space. Someone sends you a big email then you can't receive mail any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Thanks to all responders. I have already set up a new account and arranged for Eircom to forward emails to that account (with some professional help) but many people still use my old account.

Eir certainly are a crappy company. A sure sign of a bad company is the customer service. Eir is set up to provide multiple obstacles to any contact from their customers. Phone lines lead into an endless maze of recorded messages plus no email address at all.

Perhaps a good test when signing on to any service is whether they are contactable. Have a Virgin account at work with a support number pasted on the modem. Calls answered every time and issues resolved quickly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement