Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public service pay cut?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Didn't they also lose privilege days (not sure of the name), holidays, and working hours were increased. Only holidays were restored. Dunno if that's true of all the PS and grades.

Not that all of this matters. If people want to cut the wages of all those people that have just spent over a year fighting Covid. Then everytime there is an issue with something it's dip into the PS wages. We'll be back to the blue flu and all the rest. Interesting times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

What are people giving out about this time.

That the public sector kept their jobs?
    Or that the public sector worked all through the pandemic?

If they didnt work people would be giving out too right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

You can get whatever table you like. The PRD / ASC is a cut to gross salary for public sector staff.

Andrew,

I agree with you, and it is a substantial cut.

What I'm saying is that the pay restoration over the last approx five years, means that for more PS staff the earlier cuts have been restored.

I will try to be more specific.

2009-2010 FEMPI pay cuts:

(1) general pay cut
    (2) PRD = pay cut
    (3) Haddington Road extra paycut for those over 65k
    (4) 10% paycut for new entrants

I am saying that the pay rises during last five years have reversed the effects of these cuts for many (not all) staff.

Yes, the PRD/ASC still exists, and is now permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Geuze wrote: »
    Andrew,

Correction, it was a substantial cut. But the raising of the ceiling of the ASC makes the % salary contribution very normal and very common as those in the Private Sector. We have already been through the calculation. There is no need to repeat it is there?

And that's only for the medium to high earners.

For those earning 34k-40k, say, with the thresholds; they pay a tiny a % contribution.

Someone earning 34k in the Private sector contributing 8% to a pension, actually contributes 8% of their overall salary to their pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Geuze wrote: »
    Andrew,

What I'm saying is that the pay restoration over the last approx five years, means that for more PS staff the earlier cuts have been restored.

I will try to be more specific.

2009-2010 FEMPI pay cuts:

(1) general pay cut
    (2) PRD = pay cut
    (3) Haddington Road extra paycut for those over 65k
    (4) 10% paycut for new entrants

I am saying that the pay rises during last five years have reversed the effects of these cuts for many (not all) staff.

Yes, the PRD/ASC still exists, and is now permanent.

Unless I'm missing something, there were no pay rises - pay scales are unchanged over that period.

1 and 3 on your list have been addressed. 4 has been partially addressed.

2 hasn't been addressed at all

• Advertisement

salonfire wrote: »
    Nope. It's an extra contribution to your pension so that the overall percentage of your salary that you contribute is in line with private sector norms.

Except it's not a contribution to my pension. It's a deduction from salary, that reduces government current expenditure. It doesn't go into any pension fund. I don't have any control over that deduction.

Except it's not a contribution to my pension. It's a deduction from salary, that reduces government current expenditure. It doesn't go into any pension fund. I don't have any control over that deduction.

Yes it comes from current expenditure. And your contributions go into the pot that funds the current expenditure ergo you are making contributions.

Yes it comes from current expenditure. And your contributions go into the pot that funds the current expenditure ergo you are making contributions.

There is no contribution and there is no pot.

It is a deduction from salary.

There is no contribution and there is no pot.

It is a deduction from salary.

Oh I'm sure the amount deducted from you is saved somewhere in some bank account. Consider that the pot if it puts your mind at rest.

Oh I'm sure the amount deducted from you is saved somewhere in some bank account. Consider that the pot if it puts your mind at rest.

It's not saved anywhere. That's how Government pensions work. It's not a contribution. There's no pot.

It's just a deduction from salary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

It's not saved anywhere. That's how Government pensions work. It's not a contribution. There's no pot.

Do you put in the exact same amount that you get out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Will your pension in the future be paid for by the current government spend at the time you start drawing down your pension ??? Yes is will, are you making a contribution to this now yes you are. So its a contribution to a defined benefit. There is a pot the only problem is the pot has been cleared out sure how can anything be saved when we are borrowing 17 Billion.

If we were to follow your model a lot of people are paying a lot of tax into your theoretical pot and getting zero services for it. At least you have your pension when you finish working

What do you think we've been doing for the past 12 months? Sitting on the sofa watching Richard and Judy repeats! O wait, that's the people who lost their jobs... The rest of us have been working keeping services going.

Some have what exactly have the likes of Librarians being doing??

Treppen wrote: »
    You are paying an extra tax for no extra benefit.
    The ASC doesn't impact whatsoever on a pension, no more than the rise on duty at the petrol pumps does.
    Your net wage goes down.
    Decrease wage = cut

Well it does it means that public sector workers are paying more for their own pension. You have to consider who makes up the shortfall for public sector pensions as its not covered fully by what public sector workers contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

fliball123 wrote: »

You would want to ask the county councils who employ them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

EddieN75 wrote: »
    It's for your pension.

"Never lost a cent" refers to the public sector salaried workers not losing out at all during the pandemic while private sector workers lost their jobs.

You think a deduction for pension from your salary is losing out.
    The sense of entitlement is astounding

Never lost a cent?? the lazy entitled private sector workers are sitting at home on their arses getting 350 a week free money from government for the last year contributing nothing as usual while the Public sector workers have been at the coalface working hard and in some cases saving lives all year during a deadly global pandemic.

You would want to ask the county councils who employ them.

The question was asked I gave an example of one cohort who didnt get put on PUP and got their full wage while doing god knows what.

Well it does it means that public sector workers are paying more for their own pension. You have to consider who makes up the shortfall for public sector pensions as its not covered fully by what public sector workers contribute.

You mean unlike the thousands of private sector workers who don't pay into a pension and will get a state pension. Unlike civil servants who are paying towards their pensions and have the state pension amount deducted from their work pension.

Don't say private sector pay prsi and contribute that way. Public sector pay it as well. Plus pension contributions plus asc which is just a tax by a different name

Transferred to another service as required by the council not sitting at home sponging 350 free money for doing nothing every week...

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Never lost a cent?? the lazy entitled private sector workers are sitting at home on their arses getting 350 a week free money from government for the last year contributing nothing as usual while the Public sector workers have been at the coalface working hard and in some cases saving lives all year during a deadly global pandemic.

Who told them/ brought in law to make sure they couldnt even leave the house for long periods of time, Who decided to pay them 350 a week??

Ladies and gentlemen I give to you Nphet and the government. What sector do they work in again?

• Advertisement

You mean unlike the thousands of private sector workers who don't pay into a pension and will get a state pension. Unlike civil servants who are paying towards their pensions and have the state pension amount deducted from their work pension.

Don't say private sector pay prsi and contribute that way. Public sector pay it as well.

Well hows about this we even the playing field let the public sector cover the full costs of their own pension scheme and then you should be entitled to the OAP as well as not paying the pension levy. I bet this would not be accepted as a lot of public servants would lose a lot of value from their pensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Jafin

They've been working. I'm not sure about the rest of the country but the library in my town is still staffed Monday to Friday and offers a home delivery service according to its website.

Edit: Should have mentioned it's obviously closed to the public, but there are still people working there.

Well hows about this we even the playing field let the public sector cover the full costs of their own pension scheme and then you should be entitled to the OAP as well as not paying the pension levy. I bet this would not be accepted as a lot of public servants would lose a lot of value from their pensions.

How is that an even playing field? The private sector don't have to pay anything and still get a state pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭FluffPiece

This was covered previously in this same thread;

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116794242&postcount=2486

If you what to know the exact details of your local library, you could always ask the County / City Librarian or contact your local authority.

I think you'll find they are fully booked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

Scoundrel wrote: »

The nurses were on the front line.
    The pen pushers were at home with one eye on good morning Britain getting full whack pay

Don't confuse the two. Don't try ride their coat tails, I know enough people in the public sector to know exactly what has been going on the past year

How is that an even playing field? The private sector don't have to pay anything and still get a state pension.

I am after saying PS would be entitled to the OAP read it again

The pen pushers were at home with one eye on good morning Britain getting full whack pay

Don't confuse the two. Don't try ride their coat tails, I know enough people in the public sector to know exactly what has been going on the past year

I'm sure you do:rolleyes: You're a clueless fool who gets his "news" and undertanding from the indo and newstalk and actually takes my blatant trolling and reversal of his nonsense posts seriously.

The moron fishing on this thread is going very well.

Its looking a lot like 2007/8 a lot of private sector companies hitting the wall. Already the over 50 early retirement scheme in the PS is being kited to save money which it wont and they wont get away with this crap this time. Already more in debt and a bigger deficit than 2008. The public sector had better hope that there is an absolute glut of spending once covid is gone. There will be a bounce after that bounce the reality will hit. There will be no more pay rises in the public sector. I think the next one is in October. I cant see the government being able to stand over giving themselves a payrise when there is so much unemployment and after cutting peoples rates from PUP rates to welfare rates. The IMF are looking on so our three biggest area of spend

PS Pay and pensions
    Welfare
    Interest rates on the debt.

Lefties will be out in force for welfare cuts and we just wont be able to borrow if we dont pay our debt.

• Advertisement

Its good to know you've eliminated all administration in a hospital and indeed the country. That nurses will be doing all roles from now on. They'll be organizing peoples, dole, tax, funding education, everything.

Advertisement