Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public service pay cut?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Do public servants not get up in the morning? Do they not pay tax?

ffs

Did I say they didnt? If I did can you point it out where I did?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,115 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Spot on. The opposition don't care who pays as long as it's not them and their supporters are paying. The net contributors in Ireland are sick of paying for everything and everybody else. The only flash of anger that I have seen manifest in this respect was at the last presidential election when Peter Casey dared question a specific project and its merit. He took 25% of the vote just from that

What specific project was that? I thought Casey got 25% with classic Trump/Farage tactics. Find someone down the ladder that you can persuade the middle classes to blame for their difficulties. Trump did Mexicans, Farage did immigrants in general, Casey did travelers, with an occasional swipe at anyone who gets social welfare (which ironically, includes most middle class families).

Casey did kinda bomb out when it came to the general election though, the important ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

ffs

No. They receive more tax revenue than they pay back. Does this really need to be explained to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

salonfire wrote: »
    No. They receive more tax revenue than they pay back. Does this really need to be explained to you?

They receive more in wages than they pay in tax?

That's seems like how it should work?

They receive more in wages than they pay in tax?

That's seems like how it should work?

Who mentioned wages? The poster was asking about tax. They receive more tax revenue than they pay.

Hope your arithmetic improves by the time you start your public sector job.

• Advertisement

Who mentioned wages? The poster was asking about tax. They receive more tax revenue than they pay.

I'll think of you everyday I buy coffee with your tax.

I'll think of you everyday I buy coffee with your tax.

Good. Maybe next time you'll think twice about misrepresentating your position and conflict of interest.

Good. Maybe next time you'll think twice about misrepresentating your position and conflict of interest.

What?

I don't work in the public sector. I will. And I have done in the past. None of that is your business though.

The Scott Tenorman-level of whinging you and fliball do here everyday that misrepresents how governments and spending actually function and the importance of a civil service just shows up how irrelevant your thoughts in this whole field actually are.

It's rather fun to watch the flailing on a daily basis I might add.

But as I say, I'll think of you everyday as I sit on my ass drinking the coffee you have personally contributed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,115 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What has "more" got to do with it? Public servants pay tax - income tax, VAT, excise duty, property tax, motor tax and more taxes.

That's an arithmetic fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What sort of nonsense is this?

Do you expect them to just turn up and work for nothing?

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    What sort of nonsense is this?

Do you expect them to just turn up and work for nothing?

Of course he does. And if you turn up wearing more than sack cloth he'll expect you to work longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭blackcard

ffs

I got 3 pay cuts as the Celtic Tiger died. And heard private sector people say that increases in income taxes meant that public sector workers were escaping scot free. Sorry, an increase in taxes affects both sectors . As someone who spent approximately 50% of their working life in both sectors, I came to the following conclusions. In general, private sector workers worked longer hours. Public sector workers got greater abuse. Public sector had more dossers working for them, private sector had more cheats. Private sector worked harder, public sector were more principled.

Ultimately, I came to the conclusion that you cannot denigrate any sector because you happen to belong to it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The problem for your good self seems to be that you're an outlier - that the number of people who agree with your views is so small that there's not even a crank party like Renua or Aontu that will bang your drum for you.

Most people take a different view, and most of those people are just as smart as you and just as competent at economics as you.

You would think so looking at the media, but more and more people I speak to share these views.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

blackcard wrote:
    I got 3 pay cuts as the Celtic Tiger died. And heard private sector people say that increases in income taxes meant that public sector workers were escaping scot free. Sorry, an increase in taxes affects both sectors . As someone who spent approximately 50% of their working life in both sectors, I came to the following conclusions. In general, private sector workers worked longer hours. Public sector workers got greater abuse. Public sector had more dossers working for them, private sector had more cheats. Private sector worked harder, public sector were more principled.

Thankfully more and more are starting to realise, attacks on the public sector have been just orchestrated from particular ideologies, particularly since the 80's, but have actually worked successfully. We need to mature now, and accept both sectors are actually critical for a functioning society and economy, but both do have inefficiencies and short comings, and we must work together to try reduce these, hopefully eradicating them, in order to have a better future for all. Thank you, and best of luck

blackcard wrote: »
    Private sector worked harder, public sector were more principled.

You have got to be joking.

Well paid Gardai putting the security of the State at risk and instilling fear across the country with their threatened illegal walk-out.

Well paid Nurses walking away from cancer patients where the picket line was more important to them.

Well paid Teachers disrupting the education and well-being of children with various strikes and refusal to do supervision unless paid extra, despite supervision being integral part of the school day since year dot.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Piehead

Are teachers having their pay cut? They work a ridiculously short number of hours every day and have massively long holidays.

If they don’t have their pay cut they should act as free cleaners or gardeners for the general public who pay their wages during their holidays. Might prevent them from doing those nixers like grinds that most don’t pay tax on.

salonfire wrote:
    You have got to be joking.

Piehead wrote:
    If they don’t have their pay cut they should act as free cleaners or gardeners for the general public who pay their wages during their holidays. Might prevent them from doing those nixers like grinds that most don’t pay tax on.

Are you both really this ignorant!

The general public does not pay public sector workers, we are all paying taxes to service the debts that pay for our public services

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

With the usual suspects in here whinging about how privileged, well paid and underworked every member of the public sector is, you'd have to wonder why don't they get a job in the public sector themselves?

I think we all know the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Piehead

JaCrispy wrote: »
    With the usual suspects in here whinging about how privileged, well paid and underworked every member of the public sector is, you'd have to wonder why don't they get a job in the public sector themselves?

A lot of people just aren’t lazy enough for the public sector

Because I am paid much more than I would as a new entrant to the PS and would have to wait years just so I could get to the salary I am on now. The public sector raises are limited to at or below inflation. Why on earth would I join a sector that is going to be severely limited in the years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Piehead wrote: »
    A lot of people just aren’t lazy enough for the public sector

It's obvious from your last few posts that you wouldn't pass the tests to get in. If you think public servants are lazy, you clearly don't have a clue what the majority of them do. This usual boring old spiel again and again, it's either a poisonous little jealousy deep down toward those with a steady job or these people are just the type who begrudge others in general. Either way, it's always the same uneducated fist shaking at the Public Service, with no clue about the day to day workings of it.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Piehead wrote: »
    Are teachers having their pay cut? They work a ridiculously short number of hours every day and have massively long holidays.

Nothing to stop you becoming a teacher and securing those perks. Except maybe the lack of brain cells

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Nothing to stop you becoming a teacher and securing those perks. Except maybe the lack of brain cells

Nothing stopping teachers pursing high paid careers in Finance, Engineering or IT. Except maybe the lack of brain cells, especially the ability to achieve Higher Level Maths in the LC which the vast majority of teachers do not have. Particularly at primary level.

Nothing stopping teachers pursing high paid careers in Finance, Engineering or IT. Except maybe the lack of brain cells, especially the ability to achieve Higher Level Maths in the LC which the vast majority of teachers do not have. Particularly at primary level.

i dont agree with the personal attacks, of either pubic or private sector workers, i actually think its just another immature approach to the debate, we clearly need all of the above professions, and more, in order to have a functioning society and economy. do we have actual proof of your claim, in regards maths and teaching, also baring in mind, maths is only one necessity in creating such a society, and it has its own pitfalls, imperfections, irrelevance etc etc etc?

For people who are supposed to be so busy working longer hours etc than people in the ps, they certainly seem to spend a lot of time on different threads alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Treppen

.... and also they never reveal their own job, pension, progression, bonuses, allowances, education, tax, tax relief is.

If ever I discuss tax with students they like to one-up each other about how their daddy avoids tax, puts everything under company, or in someone else name etc. etc. One kid got their phone, laptop, car... HOUSE for college, all under daddy's business.

I've never had a tradesman who didn't take cash only... Except for a boiler repair guy who was working for a company.

Treppen wrote: »
    .... and also they never reveal their own job, pension, progression, bonuses, allowances, education, tax, tax relief is.

If ever I discuss tax with students they like to one-up each other about how their daddy avoids tax, puts everything under company, or in someone else name etc. etc. One kid got their phone, laptop, car... HOUSE for college, all under daddy's business.

....tax avoidance is becoming a serious issue, we cannot run our economies and societies effectively on such thinking and actions

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ....tax avoidance is becoming a serious issue, we cannot run our economies and societies effectively on such thinking and actions

But yet the public sector worker seem to be creaming it (going by the bashers on here) , every single cent of my wages is accounted for, and even at that I have to fight departmental payroll for months to correct it.

I've zero problem putting up my payslip.
    Would the private sector workers on here do the same? :pac: like #### they would.

They really should try to get a job in the PS they are clearly obsessed with it. Any public service thread over the last 10 to 12 years they have been all over it like flies to a cow patch.

• Advertisement

They really should try to get a job in the PS they are clearly obsessed with it. Any public service thread over the last 10 to 12 years they have been all over it like flies to a cow patch.

Same folk every time... Who are they?
    What is their own job and financial circumstances?
    Fair is fair.

Advertisement