Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public service pay cut?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Treppen wrote: »
    But yet the public sector worker seem to be creaming it (going by the bashers on here) , every single cent of my wages is accounted for, and even at that I have to fight departmental payroll to fix it. I've zero problem putting up my payslip.
    Would the private sector workers on here do the same? :pac: like #### they would.

...again public sector bashing has been epidemic since the introduction of particular ideologies, particularly since the 80's, such programs have been extremely successful in their objectives, some criticism has been true, but a lot has been pure bullsh1t. reducing public sector pay, reduces the overall money supply, leading to a reduction in economic activities as a whole

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

They really should try to get a job in the PS they are clearly obsessed with it. Any public service thread over the last 10 to 12 years they have been all over it like flies to a cow patch.

I'm happy to counter the lies and myths from public sector workers.

I'm much better off where I am now rather than being a new entrant to the PS. Plus my industry pays much better in the private sector than public.

salonfire wrote: »
    I'm much better off where I am now rather than being a new entrant to the PS. Plus my industry pays much better in the private sector than public.

I’m delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭mehico

Possibly PS will have to increase salary levels to attract specific talent in some areas.

mehico wrote: »
    Possibly PS will have to increase salary levels to attract specific talent in some areas.

Yes, that's always been the case but because it is so union dominated market forces are not allowed to apply to attract skills where needed.

That's the most infuriating part of how our country is run. Dominated by union members who are happy to have market forces apply when spending their money ... happily jumping on Ryanair flights, shopping in discount stores, pricing around tradesmen and insurance. PS workers always on the hunt for a bargain to suit themselves when parting with the cash but hide behind unions when unable to better their earnings off their own back.

A Dublin allowance should be given to all PS workers as well. Dublin may as well be a different country now it's earning potential and COL is no comparison to rest of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yes, that's always been the case but because it is so union dominated market forces are not allowed to apply to attract skills where needed.

That's the most infuriating part of how our country is run. Dominated by union members who are happy to have market forces apply when spending their money ... happily jumping on Ryanair flights, shopping in discount stores, pricing around tradesmen and insurance. PS workers always on the hunt for a bargain to suit themselves when parting with the cash but hide behind unions when unable to better their earnings off their own back.

....we must realise, the market actually isnt fully capable of providing us with all of our needs, this has never been proven, this is fantasy story we ve been telling ourselves for decades now, its simply untrue. we must also recognise, since the deunionisation of our economies, we have experienced lower wage inflation, and significant increase in productivity and precariousness in employment, in both the public and private sectors, particularly in the private sector

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭NaFirinne

I hope the paycuts start with the Government salaries and bonuses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Russell Steep Motorcycle

They really should try to get a job in the PS they are clearly obsessed with it. Any public service thread over the last 10 to 12 years they have been all over it like flies to a cow patch.

Yeah im living like a millionare on 420 a week....you'd wonder what the usual whingebags actually do for work as there here all day with long uninformed/incorrect tangents whinging about all the multi millionaires in the ps...they want best schools/doctors nurses, hosiptals/police etc but not pay for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Russell Steep Motorcycle

DubInMeath wrote: »
    For people who are supposed to be so busy working longer hours etc than people in the ps, they certainly seem to spend a lot of time on different threads alright.

bet you wont get an answer from the usual suspects..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So you wouldn't qualify for public sector roles that pay the same salary as you are currently earning then. Interesting.
    NaFirinne wrote: »
    I hope the paycuts start with the Government salaries and bonuses

What bonuses are you referring to here please?

• Advertisement

So you wouldn't qualify for public sector roles that pay the same salary as you are currently earning then. Interesting.

Just like you didn't qualify for the public sector roles with starting pay the same as your current salary. Otherwise you'd be earning more than you do currently. Interesting.

Just like you didn't qualify for the public sector roles with starting pay the same as your current salary. Otherwise you'd be earning more than you do currently. Interesting.
    How did you work out what jobs I would or wouldn't qualify for?

How did you work out what jobs I would or wouldn't qualify for?

Didn't stop you making assumptions about what jobs I would or would not qualify for.

Didn't stop you making assumptions about what jobs I would or would not qualify for.

You told us that the jobs you would qualify for don't pay at the your current salary level. No assumption - you told us.

You told us that the jobs you would qualify for don't pay at the your current salary level. No assumption - you told us.

And if you were starting in your job today, you would not be earning your current salary. I'm not sure why the concept of new entrant starting salaries is so confusing for you.

And if you were starting in your job today, you would not be earning your current salary. I'm not sure why the concept of new entrant starting salaries is so confusing for you.

There's no confusion at all. I've lived with public service salary scales for 20 years. I know how they work.

If the one scale isn't good enough for you, you aim for the next highest grade.

But you're the one who indicated that you wouldn't qualify for those grades that do match your current salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

What?

I don't work in the public sector. I will. And I have done in the past. None of that is your business though.

The Scott Tenorman-level of whinging you and fliball do here everyday that misrepresents how governments and spending actually function and the importance of a civil service just shows up how irrelevant your thoughts in this whole field actually are.

It's rather fun to watch the flailing on a daily basis I might add.

But as I say, I'll think of you everyday as I sit on my ass drinking the coffee you have personally contributed to.

Yet you have not come up with any facts to prove us wrong instead when fact is put in front of you, you attack the man instead of the facts. I have given you link after link. You may think our thoughts are irrelevant to you but they are not. If enough people working in the private sector feel they are just going to bent over and raped to pay rich , poor and vested interest groups like the public sector they will simply leave or go into the black market or basically do anything do avoid paying tax. See how that goes for you. I will say it here now there is no way the public sector will be getting a pay rise in 2022. My prediction for next year lets see if it comes true.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Are you both really this ignorant!

The general public does not pay public sector workers, we are all paying taxes to service the debts that pay for our public services

So it will be our kids who pay it back is that what your saying so just keep borrowing and hoist over paid public sectors pay and pensions onto our kids..ehhhh no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,415 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

.... and also they never reveal their own job, pension, progression, bonuses, allowances, education, tax, tax relief is.

If ever I discuss tax with students they like to one-up each other about how their daddy avoids tax, puts everything under company, or in someone else name etc. etc. One kid got their phone, laptop, car... HOUSE for college, all under daddy's business.

I've never had a tradesman who didn't take cash only... Except for a boiler repair guy who was working for a company.

Your post makes little sense. The majority of private sector works are PAYE.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

.... and also they never reveal their own job, pension, progression, bonuses, allowances, education, tax, tax relief is.

If ever I discuss tax with students they like to one-up each other about how their daddy avoids tax, puts everything under company, or in someone else name etc. etc. One kid got their phone, laptop, car... HOUSE for college, all under daddy's business.

I've never had a tradesman who didn't take cash only... Except for a boiler repair guy who was working for a company.

And did you get a cheaper price because of this..?? Yeah you did as you would of had to pay the tax on top so you had a hand in the deceit if you didnt use them in the first place. This is one advantage the general public have when choosing a resource from within the private sector, if they are too expensive or you think they are dodgy or not paying tax you have the choice not to use them It goes on in the public sector too. Lots of websites up there for teachers giving grinds. I bet they pay tax on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭francois

It mat be difficult for you to grasp, but not everyone wants massive salaries, a lot of teachers do it because they actually get satisfied by teaching.
    Sure there's lazy civil servants, but there's just as many middle managers doing feck all in the private sector

I worked in the public sector in the early 2000s. I left because I got offered a larger compensation package. I would happily go back if the money was right. I do feel that the salaries offered in the public sector are insufficient to attract the best people. As a result I do think public servants should be given pay rises.
    I also think they should have a proper performance review system across the board. Not a pretend one. Increments should be based on performance.

I worked in the public sector in the early 2000s. I left because I got offered a larger compensation package. I would happily go back if the money was right. I do feel that the salaries offered in the public sector are insufficient to attract the best people. As a result I do think public servants should be given pay rises.
    I also think they should have a proper performance review system across the board. Not a pretend one. Increments should be based on performance.

The facts of them being paid 27% more than the private sector dont back the first part of your post up. But I agree with the increments based on performance part

fliball123 wrote: »
    The facts of them being paid 27% more than the private sector dont back the first part of your post up. But I agree with the increments based on performance part

There is no way public sector workers are paid more than their private sector counterparts. Not in my industry anyway.

There is no way public sector workers are paid more than their private sector counterparts. Not in my industry anyway.

Overall on average they are from 2019 from the CSO

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/elcq/earningsandlabourcostsq42018finalq12019preliminaryestimates/

francois wrote: »
    It mat be difficult for you to grasp, but not everyone wants massive salaries, a lot of teachers do it because they actually get satisfied by teaching.
    Sure there's lazy civil servants, but there's just as many middle managers doing feck all in the private sector

There is not one middle managers getting paid in the private sector who get 1/3rd of a year off on holidays while their employer is broke and borrowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Why do you keep on with this, it is dishonest of you, and you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

What bonuses are you referring to here please?

You know.... Them bonuses. The ones we all don't get. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

There is not one middle managers getting paid in the private sector who get 1/3rd of a year off on holidays while their employer is broke and borrowing.

Governments and the running of a country are not the same as a private business. This is basic stuff FFS.

• Advertisement

Governments and the running of a country are not the same as a private business. This is basic stuff FFS.

So why do some countries run large surpluses? Are they doing it wrong?

Advertisement