Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public service pay cut?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

blanch152 wrote: »
    More nonsense. I saw a calculation that showed that the net household income for Violet Anne-Wynne's family was higher on social welfare than a single person as a TD would get in take-home because of the way that the social welfare system encourages families not to work and the tax system penalises single people who do work.

Reform needs to start with the social wefare system. One of the key lessons from this crisis is that the shock of losing a job causes an immediate loss that is higher than the long-term loss. A rebalancing of the social welfare system away from the long-term slackers and towards the recently unemployed would be a very good development.

In regard to violet and not getting paid enough... she isn’t a prominent td in power so will not have anywhere near the same pay packet as the likes of Simon Harris for instance ... nor should she. In regards to her welfare entitlement ... she had 5 kids so that’s why... I think welfare should be overhauled as the long term arse scratchers are encouraged to have more unwanted kids jumping around their house in their their estate as they get paid more per child .. shouldn’t be the case

And I think that those who have worked for years should be getting paid more ... less for those who haven’t worked in over two years ... anyways that’s for another days chat

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Oh, and don't shroud wave your family in front of me, you creep.

Less of the personal insults

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭cms88

PARlance wrote: »
    You do realise that most content on Facebook is user generated and if you're seeing lots of campaigns about nurses it's because people are liking same posts, sharing them etc. I've seen posts about shop workers as well, just that they are shared/liked as much and don't get as much traction.

Anyway, if you're thanking posts that claim nurses are making videos because most of them are women and need the attention... I'll bow out.

Well if they're so overrun how do they have time to make videos, post pictures of themselves etc Also not liking it because they're women just pointing out the fact they're looking for prase.

As someone else has pointed out security in hospitals have got it but yet it's still made out to only be nurse. Outside of what's going on at the moment anyway nurses are made out to be the only ones who do anything within hospitals etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

cms88 wrote: »
    Well if they're so overrun how do they have time to make videos, post pictures of themselves etc Also not liking it because they're women just pointing out the fact they're looking for prase.

As someone else has pointed out security in hospitals have got it but yet it's still made out to only be nurse. Outside of what's going on at the moment anyway nurses are made out to be the only ones who do anything within hospitals etc

Those videos were made when people were off duty. Also if you worked in tht environment you would understand the need for keeping up morale. And yes people are aware that there are admin staff porters kitchen staff and cleaners all working in hospital keeping them going, I have seen ads for them too on FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭randd1

It's currently 37 Hours a week.

I reckon if they were to drop the pay to the equivalent of 34 Hours, cut the Flexi to one day, but in the trade off drop the hours to 32 a week and allow a 4 day week (but make sure the 5 days are covered), the government would be be saving a fortune for the coming recession, and you'd get pretty much the same service as you're getting now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

LillySV wrote: »
    I’ve watched fg constantly hit the middle income taxpayer since getting In ... no proper projects have been finished to an acceptable standard ... children’s hospital.... going to cost billions more and take years longer to finish .,supposed bypasses and road improvements throughout the country... all parked up... money flowing out to legal eagles, numerous advisers and consultant pals who d f all other than charge for projects that probably won’t even run yet cost us millions ... housing crisis - no one can afford rent anymore ... what are the govt and their pals doing for the public... nothing . Nama doing cosy deals with pension funds to give the pension funds houses for f all that they can then charge a fortune to the public

And you are happy with all that and think the problem is the ordinary guy on the frontline gettin 20-30 k....

I'm a middle income earner and I get more into my hand now than I would have at the same salary in 2011. The standard rate cutt off point has been raised and the USC lowered to the benefit of middle income earners. What's the issue here?

I've no problem with low income earners, I hope they are continued to be protected by our progressive income tax system.

I'm merely pointing thing out that we voted for the government that's currently forming. Over 50% of us did. What is your proposal for an alternative?

almostover wrote: »
    I'm a middle income earner and I get more into my hand now than I would have at the same salary in 2011. The standard rate cutt off point has been raised and the USC lowered to the benefit of middle income earners. What's the issue here?

I've no problem with low income earners, I hope they are continued to be protected by our progressive income tax system.

I'm merely pointing thing out that we voted for the government that's currently forming. Over 50% of us did. What is your proposal for an alternative?

Well I for one gettin less than someone of same level of service would have in 2011. And u say the usc was lowered? It was only introduced in 2011... u didn’t have to pay it before then so how was it lowered??

And what about all the other living factors I mentioned such as rising rents , no houses , extra tax on fuels etc etc etc . If you think a great job is being done here In country by fg, then delighted for ya ..I’m not so easily pleased

Well I for one gettin less than someone of same level of service would have in 2011. And u say the usc was lowered? It was only introduced in 2011... u didn’t have to pay it before then so how was it lowered??

And what about all the other living factors I mentioned such as rising rents , no houses , extra tax on fuels etc etc etc . If you think a great job is being done here In country by fg, then delighted for ya ..I’m not so easily pleased

You've hit the crux of the issue. Level of service. Is that tied to your performance in your job or your years service? No good paying people extra for sticking at it, unless they're also improving how good they are at their jobs.

I asked you to propose an alternative to the current government formation and I'm still waiting.....

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

I'm a middle income earner and I get more into my hand now than I would have at the same salary in 2011.

Do you have children?

I do and i am considerably poorer.

Do you have children?

I do and i am considerably poorer.

Was referring to the levels of income taxation that I pay. Outside of that it's too difficult to compare apples with apples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,115 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

addaword wrote: »
    Of course people know of some public servants with little or no work this past few months.
    Really? Which ones?
    Jim Root wrote: »
    Did the cash into your bank account go up or down?
    It went way down with the cuts from 2008 onwards, and is still 8% down on gross with the PRD
    noodler wrote: »
    Childish tbh.

Anyway, that's the union view.

The bottom line is there has been a pay increase every year in the public sector. Multiple for some due to increments and sectoral specific deals.

Paybill in 2014: 14.7bn

Paybill in 2020: 19.7bn

Obviously you could only really attribute half of that to pay rates as we have just surpassed the Celtic Tiger peak for numbers employed but they rate increases have been significant.
    The bottom line is that pay has not been restored for public servants.
    purifol0 wrote: »

Every public sector worker is another cost to the country's balance sheet that the private sector worker is hit for, no matter how much "tax" is written on their (PubSec) payslip.
    What was it that Oscar Wilde said about the man who knew the price of everything and the value of nothing? Public services are people intensive services.
    sabat wrote: »
    How about putting it to the unions that they can have a pay cut or keep the current rYes, ates and sack the worst 5% of unverified sick leave takers.
    There is no unverified sick leave. You need a cert after two days. If you have repeated instances of uncertified sick leave, you need a cert for every absence.
    Just waiting till independent news and media get stuck into the public service. They love giving the PS a good kicking.
    They certainly did in the past, under DOB and TOR. We’ll see if that continues with the new owners.
    Interestingly, when you google it, the number of sick days taken by Ireland's public servants is almost twice that taken by workers in the private sector according to new figures. Public servants average 8.5 sick days each year compared to 4.5 days in the private sector according to figures released by the Department of Public Expenditure.
    Can anyone think of a reason why large numbers of people working in hospitals, nursing homes, disability services, or spending their days in close contact with 25 snotty kids might get sick more often than people in offices or factories? Anyone got any ideas there?
    And that’s without even looking at any of the issues around how sick leave is counted and why Sat/Sun are counted as sick days too.
    I'll think you'll find the main reason for so much sick leave in the public sector is the fact there is the fact you get sick pay itself (also zero consequences of abusing it). Another luxury most private sector employees dont have.
    Or maybe it could have something to do with the large numbers of public sector staff working in hospitals, schools, nursing homes and more.
    What pension scheme would that be. 72% of private sector workers dont have one.
    Now riddle me this - why are private sector workers pension defined contribution whilst pubSec workers get Defined Benefit? Also why is it they pay only a fraction towards this?
    Or that the law was changed so Priv Sec workers now have a higher retirement age than they do?
    The main reason why public sector workors are in a DB scheme is because government pays their pension out of current expenditure. There is no pension fund. Pension deductions are taken out of today’s salaries and pension payments are payed from current expenditure. It’s a cash flow issue.
    I think this is partly true. HCAs and nurses are going to be more likely to get sick. But there's huge areas of the PS where there's excessive sick leave. Doctors are always the PS worker with lowest sick leave (usually less than 1%) while working the longest hours. Teachers have 7 times as many sick days as doctors despite working a lot less days.
    Do you think that being surrounded by 25 snotty kids all day could be a factor? Or having to raise your voice about the sound of 20 spotty teenagers all day could be a factor?
    Increase taxes for those that can afford it, get the Apple money, reduce non-essential public services, politicians are getting out of hand with the roles that some Govt Depts are carrying out, there’s huge amounts of non-essential work being carried out by Depts.
    Which services are non-essential please?
    daithi7 wrote: »
    Public sector pay & pensions are simply too high in Ireland. Further our ps efficiency, flexibility & agility are far too low. That's why we do things like paying per capita in the top decile in the OECD for healthcare while we get outcomes in the lowest decile.
    I.e. We pay the most for health care in the developed world, but we get the worst results...., and we manage to do this with a very young demographic.... truly pathetic!!!
    Also our capital spend / public sector wages is far too low, this is why we end up with things like the lowest icu beds per 100k people in the EU going into a global pandemic....
    Overly generous PS pay & pensions & poor productivity costs Ireland hugely. It has continuously prevented us from being able to even slightly reform the health service in the past, and will cost us even more significantly as our working population ages & the pension iceberg comes closer to sinking the whole ship!!
    Ireland needs to reform its public sector big time. The IMF flagged this nearly a decade ago now when they left Ireland last. At this rate, we might see them again sooner than we should...
    International comparisons are meaningless. You can’t compare salaries unless you compare cost of living. The health sector still hasn’t recovered from decades of under-investment in terms of bed capacity, that's why outcomes are poor.

You've hit the crux of the issue. Level of service. Is that tied to your performance in your job or your years service? No good paying people extra for sticking at it, unless they're also improving how good they are at their jobs.

I asked you to propose an alternative to the current government formation and I'm still waiting.....

Both, same applies to most in private sector too.

In regards to govt , whole system ruined , they’re awarding themselves too much , getting to many massive expense payments ... everyone there lapping it up, including the opposition .. no incentive to fight ... they gettin paid well anyways ... look at f fail in recent years ..never went against anything .. staying quiet and getting paid for achieving nothing... do their 5 years and great pay for life after it .

What I suggest ? Total independent review of system , and the associated pay carried out by independent body , and changes made following further consultation ...

And also ... All their pay and additional perks need to be published each year for all to see , everything must be vouched for

And any links/dealings tds/ministers have with businesses need to be publicly disclosed and kept on file

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Of course there will be pay cuts, the country is living way beyond its means and is spending much more than it is taking in. It is unsustainable.

Didn't happen last time though (contributing to a pension is not a pay cut either as you get the benefit later).

Reverse benchmarking- wishful thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

This thread is depressing.
    There is only one public pay policy that makes sense. Pay the going rate and ensure that performance is appropriate. Public pay should not be a matter of politics, but while it is then effective performance will never be achieved. At present there is no concern for productivity or performance and pay isn't even conceptually linked to this.
    Judging by qulaity of discussion in this thread, the public sector is much better than people deserve.

Both, same applies to most in private sector too.

In regards to govt , whole system ruined , they’re awarding themselves too much , getting to many massive expense payments ... everyone there lapping it up, including the opposition .. no incentive to fight ... they gettin paid well anyways ... look at f fail in recent years ..never went against anything .. staying quiet and getting paid for achieving nothing... do their 5 years and great pay for life after it .

What I suggest ? Total independent review of system , and the associated pay carried out by independent body , and changes made following further consultation ...

And also ... All their pay and additional perks need to be published each year for all to see , everything must be vouched for

And any links/dealings tds/ministers have with businesses need to be publicly disclosed and kept on file

I would back this also, but it won't result in restoration to pay to 2008 levels for the rest of the public sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Highly unlikely there will be any pay cuts, ideas are often floated in a media interview to test reaction they may well have been what John Moran was doing but what is more interesting is who is behind him on this is it some sort of agenda or is it something he is doing it solo.

When I heard an idea floated on a discussion or political program, I always think who is saying this and why are they saying it. I would be suspicious a lot of media.

I would back this also, but it won't result in restoration to pay to 2008 levels for the rest of the public sector.

If the corruption was removed and the country handled well, I wouldn’t mind

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

This thread is depressing.
    There is only one public pay policy that makes sense. Pay the going rate and ensure that performance is appropriate. Public pay should not be a matter of politics, but while it is then effective performance will never be achieved. At present there is no concern for productivity or performance and pay isn't even conceptually linked to this.
    Judging by qulaity of discussion in this thread, the public sector is much better than people deserve.

But performance isn't really tracked and poor performance isn't actioned (fear of unions). It's a tick-the-box exercise at best. I never got one performance appraisal in my years in the public sector. I did get all my increments.

But performance isn't really tracked and poor performance isn't actioned (fear of unions). It's a tick-the-box exercise at best. I never got one performance appraisal in my years in the public sector. I did get all my increments.

That's the core of the public service inefficiencies that we experience. Theres no reward for performance so some people don't bother. The chain is only as strong as the weakest link so those who don't try tend to drag down those who do. How we get the unions to sign up to real performance reviews in our public sector is a huge challenge but it would yield huge reward

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

If the corruption was removed and the country handled well, I wouldn’t mind

It’s more incompetence then corruption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,074 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

mlem123 wrote: »
    The problem is that the lower paid PS won't be protected. I'm on about €28k a year at the moment as I've just started and know that those who have the most influence in the unions etc are people who've been here a long time or retired. They'll look after themselves/their pension as they did before.

Well that's bollocks but it shows the power of repeating a false narrative in the media constantly.

The least paid got the least cuts, both in percentage and money terms, they were also the first to get their cuts back, medium and higher paid still have many of the cuts from 2008 in place.

The pay cuts for new entrants were imposed by the FF / Green government, the unions did not agree to these cuts, there was not even a pretence of consultation. They were imposed unilaterally. If a private sector employer had acted in the same way it would have been illegal, but in the public sector your employer writes the laws.

So-called "emergency" measures are still in place 12 years later.

Why not just pay them a net amount?

Because then every flute on Boards would be ranting BUT TEHY DONT PAY ANY TAX!!!11!!!1!
    and - more seriously - it would then become a nightmare to work out their tax position if they have any other income or are married to a private sector worker. I don't think people put any thought into posts before hitting submit any more.

contributing to a pension is not a pay cut either as you get the benefit later

Not when the contribution goes up, but the benefit doesn't.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Western_sean

... The bottom line is that pay has not been restored for public servants.
    Another bottom line is that underperforming public servants continue to be protected by public-sector unions which ties up money that could be used for pay restoration.
    ...There is no unverified sick leave. You need a cert after two days. If you have repeated instances of uncertified sick leave, you need a cert for every absence.
    There are also limited sanctions - in the private sector this sort of behaviour leads to seeking new employment.
    The main reason why public sector workors are in a DB scheme is because government pays their pension out of current expenditure. There is no pension fund. Pension deductions are taken out of today’s salaries and pension payments are payed from current expenditure. It’s a cash flow issue.
    This is nonsense, an average lifetime earnings or a DC scheme would have the same cash flow impact and be a substantial improvement for the exchequer in the longer term.
    Which services are non-essential please?
    One of the HSE and the Dept of health? Or perhaps some of the big 4 consulting types frequently retained by both to generate reports protecting fiefdoms at day rates?
    International comparisons are meaningless. You can’t compare salaries unless you compare cost of living....
    The cost of government and service provision is a large component of the costs of living and doing business in Ireland. Were this more economical or were public servants more willing to see internal employee issues dealt with effectively everyone would be meaningfully better off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Isn't their Flexi suspended already.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

According to the Irish Times 2 years ago, Gardai earn on average, about €1,300 a week. You think that is modest, and a Garda retiring at 60 with a €102,000 lump sum and €34,000 pension would have their pot valued at €1.8 million, including the spouse’s benefit is modest?

yes but had those gardai chose to not become public servants , they would all be michael o leary,s and obviously making millions

Just waiting till independent news and media get stuck into the public service. They love giving the PS a good kicking.

yes but its balanced out by the endless water carrying for the public sector at RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

30 years in the case of Gardai, I know some retired on full pension in their early fifties.

And 21yrs if you’re an NCO in the defence forces.

But that’s immaterial, they signed a contract, fulfilled it, and are entitled to what they signed up for.

If a Garda is assaulted people always say sure they signed up for that. It’s a two way street. They also signed up for their pension when retiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,074 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The cost of government and service provision is a large component of the costs of living and doing business in Ireland.

and an even bigger component is private sector gouging. Retailers, rents, insurance, legal fees.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

and an even bigger component is private sector gouging. Retailers, rents, insurance, legal fees.

you can switch retail providers , the tax payer is stuck with the one exclusive state

Did you forget to mention your lump sum on retirement? Because that alone equates to several years of state pension right there, and none of us will live forever - so its not very nice to force the priv sec to live longer than the pubsec to even avail of their meagre state pension.
    Private sector pensions can be defined benefit in the same way as you can win the lotto. This is limited in real terms to company directors - and those companies still ahve to be profitiable other wise youre not getting anything at all.
    Worth noting that the highest paid pubsec the gardai have an incredibly early retirement age and of course legally there can be no private sector group to compare them with. Nice!
    The lump sum is nothing to do with public/private sector. All pension recipients can take a 25% of the value of their fund as a lump sum. It’s just a different way of paying the benefit.
    It is all private sector families who have taken a hit yet again in this recession / pandemic, not public sector families.
    We are all in this together? Yeah, right.
    Different average salaries, different pensions, different retirement ages, different sick leave..
    Yes, different average salaries, just like apples and oranges have different average colours and bicycles and cars have different average speeds. When you compare different things, you see differences.
    I am not taking a cheap shot at all public servants. Some public servants work hard. Some deserve their salaries. I have family members and friends who are public servants, I guess most people have. We are still entitled to come to the conclusion "Public sector pay & pensions are simply too high in Ireland. Further our ps efficiency, flexibility & agility are far too low. "
    You can come to whatever conclusion you like for your own opinions, but if you want to persuade others, you’ll need some facts. Just in case you didn’t notice, the low flexibility/efficiency/agility sector has moved tens of thousands of staff to work from home over the course of a few weeks, introduced a new social welfare benefit being paid to tens of thousands of recipients and a rake of other changes too.
    na1 wrote: »
    and to get the full contributory pension you need an average of 48 annual PRSI contributions. which means you need to be employed 92% of time since your first job until you reach 67.
    This is a dramatic over-simplification of pension rules. You get credit for time spent on home caring duties. You start to qualify for pension with 10 contributions per year.
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/older_and_retired_people/state_pension_contributory.html
    It damaged the level of service? Good god man do you have any idea just how low the level of service has always been? Do you think nearly half the general populace buys private health cover every year for the hell of it? Do you think people ring the Gardai with much faith in them to turn up? If you lose your passport on holiday you better hope its on a week day because our civil service still only works Pillar-Bank hours like its decades in the past. Actually so do most of our HSE staff that arent nurses or doctors eg physio's, radiologists etc.
    You want to talk about ROBOTICS when we have highly paid pen pushers that still POST things to each other and everything is still hand written on paper. Even the driving license centres which were introduced after the last recession still to this day post forms all the way to Limerick. Oh they have broadband and a scanner at the desk, thats just not the way they do things.
    Nurses union would strike immediately if a change in their work practices would take them away from filling forms all day at a desk.
    I mean the PubSec employ porters FFS. A man that simply stands there all day saying which queue to join. How much do you think one of those would get paid in the privaate sector eh?
    Bus Eireann - high prices & unreliable service
    Irish Rail - VERY high prices & service not guaranteed at commuting hours
    FOI - freedom of information requests - can be done very quickly using computers - Civil service can respond to them as if they found the records by hand! Courtesy of Enda Kenny
    Id like to address the rest but its 1:45am, maybe tomorrow.
    You really have little clue about what is going on. You are blaming public servants for political decisions to underinvest in healthcare, in rail infrastructure and in public transport.
    Here’s a typical customer feedback on passport renewal, btw;
    https://twitter.com/Drumberny/status/1239576961346928640
    The nurses who you blame for their work practices are changing practices every day. A huge amount of technology is being rolled out in hospitals every day under the eHealth programme, but you’re too busy taking cheap shots to notice.
    Not so fast. TDs are linked to the civil service PO grade now, but back in the 80s they were linked to the HEO grade, which is two full grades lower and on little more than half the money.
    Now, who do you think rubber-stamped that decision...?
    Do you have a source for that HEO alignment please?
    The public vs. Private sector has been an eye opener for me on a recent lean course I took. There was a mix of attendees from both sectors. The private sector workers were supported in implementing their lean projects. The public sector worked were met with resistance at every stage of their project. Unions were opposed to measurement of performance and any efforts to improve it. 2 people on the course who work in the HSE had particular trouble. One person was trying to reduce the turnaround time on blood samples in a hospital lab and was met with fierce resistance. There's a reason why we sink so much money into the HSE and get the quality of service that we do.
    Maybe that’s because their HSE colleagues have worked out that applying manufacturing techniques like Lean to a healthcare environment is very questionable. John Seddon provides some interesting insights on these mistakes;
    https://vanguard-method.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/lean-is-a-wicked-disease.pdf
    These 2 quotes re highlight the problem for me. Public sector unions seem happy to go to bat to protect their least productive and most intransigent members to the detriment and those who are willing and productive.
    Since public sector employees are largely unionised the union position is, to some extent correctly, seen as the position of the majority of the employees. Those who pay for these services have valid frustrations and until productive and hardworking public sector employees are willing to challenge the behaviour of unions in the public sector those frustrations will continue to exist.
    We’re not in the 1980s now.
    Are ministers linked to CS wages? I know the Ministers and PM in New Zealand all took 25% cut. Would be nice to see our lot do the same in solidarity.
    How would that help? And if they took 25%, would you be calling for them to take 40%. It’s a pointless gesture, designed to distract from the real issues.
    Geuze wrote: »
    Yes, and instead of silly talk like "cut pay by 25%", we should be talking about eliminating these barriers to increased flexibility.
    I am for unions fighting for pay and conditions, but I don't like resistance to change.
    I would instead say the following:
    to staff in a HSE unit: reduce barriers, change work practices, then you will get your pay restoration.
    You can say what you like, but unless you have professional experience running HSE units, you’d be best to say very little in telling people what to do. Would you be OK with HSE people coming into your workplace and telling you what to do ?
    What about all the overpaid and under worked public sector dentists, architects, librarians etc?
    Very few dentists in the public sector, and not a huge number of architects either. But how exactly did you decide that they are underpaid and overworked, or did you hear it once on Newstalk?
    I know some retired public servants who are getting paid treble (for not working) what shop what shop workers are paid for working.
    Shocker – some professional people who spent years developing their careers were well paid. I know some retired private professionals who are getting paid ten times for not working what shop workers are paid for working. And you funded their pensions when you bought a bank product or a phone product or a tech product.
    My net pay is also a fraction of my gross pay. That's the case regardless of what sector one works in. I contribute to a private pension scheme and all of my contributions could be wiped out in an economic crash.
    The only reason your private pension would be ‘wiped out’ would be if you chose to put it in a high-risk fund to chase high returns. If you don’t want your pension to be wiped out, put it in bonds or low-risk funds. It’s your fund – you’re responsibe for the returns, so don’t expect public sector staff to fund your investment gambling.
    PARlance wrote: »
    You do realise that most content on Facebook is user generated and if you're seeing lots of campaigns about nurses it's because people are liking same posts, sharing them etc. I've seen posts about shop workers as well, just that they are shared/liked as much and don't get as much traction.

Anyway, if you're thanking posts that claim nurses are making videos because most of them are women and need the attention... I'll bow out.
    Let’s not rely on Facebook posts as providing any reliable information about current affairs.
    Correct, simple in theory. Here's a easy one. The Gardai have ANPR software that recognises your number plate as you drive by. It tells them if your tax is paid up or not. Yet there are people employed in the public sector to print off tax discs and send them out. Their job is obsolete and were paying for it unnecessarily with our tax euros.
    That ‘no tax disk’ proposal didn’t work out too well in the UK. What percentage of Garda cars have ANPR? How quick can they do an ANPR read compared to looking at your tax disk at a checkpoint?
    When I worked in the public service there were never any performance appraisals (not even as a box ticking exercise) and your band increments were automatic. Hard to believe but I think it's still the case.
    It’s not still the case.
    Yup

A covid levy is coming.

Do we still have the Irish insurance levy, and the post 2008 levy as well?

lol
    We certainly still have the PRD levy imposed on public servants in 2008.

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    you can switch retail providers , the tax payer is stuck with the one exclusive state
    So what do you want - two states? The Thatcherite dream? Being able to switch providers isn't much help when they're all pretty much the same when it comes to price and cost.
    Mad_maxx wrote: »
    yes but its balanced out by the endless water carrying for the public sector at RTE
    I take it you haven't listened to Joe's deep sighs and uninformed attacks on every public service then?
    There are also limited sanctions - in the private sector this sort of behaviour leads to seeking new employment.

This is nonsense, an average lifetime earnings or a DC scheme would have the same cash flow impact and be a substantial improvement for the exchequer in the longer term.

One of the HSE and the Dept of health? Or perhaps some of the big 4 consulting types frequently retained by both to generate reports protecting fiefdoms at day rates?

The cost of government and service provision is a large component of the costs of living and doing business in Ireland. Were this more economical or were public servants more willing to see internal employee issues dealt with effectively everyone would be meaningfully better off.
    Seeking new employment like this?
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/four-hse-staff-sacked-for-abuse-of-sick-leave-226647.html

Pensions are paid from current expenditure. If we wanted to switch to a DC scheme, we would have to pay pensions of current pensions AND pay contributions to the DC scheme for pensions of current staff for a generation. This is the cash flow issue.

You clearly don't understand the difference between policy and operations. Dept Health sets policy. HSE implements policy. It's not hard really.

And sure, great idea to rule out the consultants - we'll now need to double the size of the civil service so that internal staff can do all that work instead. You're ready to fund that, right?

It's not the cost of government that has risen exponentially like rents and property over recent years.
    That's the core of the public service inefficiencies that we experience. Theres no reward for performance so some people don't bother. The chain is only as strong as the weakest link so those who don't try tend to drag down those who do. How we get the unions to sign up to real performance reviews in our public sector is a huge challenge but it would yield huge reward
    Have you any actual experience of working in the public sector? Because the picture you paint is very different to my actual experience.

So you want to repeat the benchmarking process of the early 2000s then?
    Something like the TD's annual declaration of interests that SIPO publish? Or the lobbying register published each quarter?

Does it surprise you to find that your great proposals have already been done?

Advertisement