Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public service pay cut?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Geuze wrote: »
    I agree with much that you say.

And so do the Fiscal Council.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0525/1223841-irish-fiscal-advisory-council/

https://www.fiscalcouncil.ie/fiscal-assessment-report-may-2021/

One quote:

"However, the Government’s medium-term forecasts are
    poorly founded. The Government’s spending projections
    for later years assume current spending grows by 3.5 per
    cent every year. This does not reflect the full cost of price
    inflation and ageing on spending. The forecasts for
    government investment are much higher than in the
    Government’s capital plan. Income tax receipts are forecast
    to grow unrealistically fast, given plans to raise tax credits
    and bands. And there is little or no detail on the other
    policy costs beyond 2021. This includes the major
    Sláintecare reforms to healthcare."

Not to mention the crazy sum of money Sinn Fein will be borrowing to sort out the housing crisis or the new OCED tax reforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,074 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

salonfire wrote: »
    For people on the older schemes, it is very much gold plated. Some don't even have to pay the full PRSI rate.

The class A employee contribution was cut a few years back but not the others, the max EE rates on A, B, C and D classes are all 4%. Staff on modified PRSI pay the same but don't get optical and dental benefit like all other workers, and won't get household benefits package when they retire like all other workers who qualify for the contributory old age pension.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The class A employee contribution was cut a few years back but not the others, the max EE rates on A, B, C and D classes are all 4%. Staff on modified PRSI pay the same but don't get optical and dental benefit like all other workers, and won't get household benefits package when they retire like all other workers who qualify for the contributory old age pension.

I thought class D pay 0.90%?

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/f88179-prsi-class-d-rates/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

https://www.fiscalcouncil.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Non-Technical-Summary.pdf

The non-technical summary says:

"Large permanent increases in spending, unrelated to Covid-19, were not prudent. Budget 2021 included large
    permanent increases in spending of at least €5.4 billion. There was no long-term funding set out for this. It means
    that much of the “fiscal space” that growth in the economy would have provided by 2025 is already used up."

And then people say that the State underspends!!!!

I think this is worth saying again, when a country is borrowing to fund current expenditure it should never increase public pay & pensions. It should actually be illegal imho.

This happened in the 80s, 00s and now, and it always ends the same way I.e. in a financial crisis, and horrible reactive cuts to real services.

This government & the public sector unions are setting the country up for another big crash. Only 10 out of 50 years of repaying by us and our children for the last one. This is bonkers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

daithi7 wrote: »
    I think this is worth saying again, when a country is borrowing to fund current expenditure it should never increase public pay & pensions. It should actually be illegal imho.

This happened in the 80s, 00s and now, and it always ends the same way I.e. in a financial crisis, and horrible reactive cuts to real services.

This government & the public sector unions are setting the country up for another big crash. Only 10 out of 50 years of repaying by us and our children for the last one. This is bonkers!!!

I'm so sick of the public sector causing all these financial meltdowns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

You are correct - PRSI is 0.90%

But the overall contribution is 5% of salary for Superannuation and a further 1.5% for Widows & Orphans on top of the PRSI.

There is no entitlement to Medical Benefits/Eyetests/Dental etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I'm so sick of the public sector causing all these financial meltdowns.

Perhaps we should privatise the public sector and pay everyone bonuses for contributing to the financial crash.
    Of course we'll have to cut services so as to boost departmental profits and well cut staff and close down places of operation to ensure the shareholders get their dividends.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,584 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Perhaps we should privatise the public sector and pay everyone bonuses for contributing to the financial crash.
    Of course we'll have to cut services so as to boost departmental profits and well cut staff and close down places of operation to ensure the shareholders get their dividends.

Interesting idea. Might help to streamline services, improve efficiency, get rid of some of the dead wood etc. And don’t kid yourself, public servants were there in line buying houses they couldn’t afford, contributing to the last financial crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

For people on the older schemes, it is very much gold plated. Some don't even have to pay the full PRSI rate.

Gold plated? Dependant on the whims of any future government doesn't meet my definition of gold plated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Gold plated? Dependant on the whims of any future government doesn't meet my definition of gold plated.

Yeah cos there's no way the Government would sink the country in billions of debt while maintaining these payments or anything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

fliball123 wrote: »
    So do these figures include the nearly half a million private sector employees forced onto PUP payments over the last 12/18 months?

I reckon when you bring their pay into the equation as a whole on average the private sector are still behind in pay. Before i get "but they were not working and part of the people claiming welfare", I think the fact that not one public sector employee was put on PUP means they should be included in this debate as they were forced to stop working.

Here is some info on earnings growth during the pandemic:

http://www.irisheconomy.ie/index.php/2021/05/26/the-impact-of-covid-19-income-supports-on-earnings/

Dav010 wrote: »
    Interesting idea. Might help to streamline services, improve efficiency, get rid of some of the dead wood etc. And don’t kid yourself, public servants were there in line buying houses they couldn’t afford, contributing to the last financial crash.

Public servants should now not be able to buy houses until everyone else is housed

Public servants should get paid while we run a deficit

Lads ye get better and better i swear to god. Such expertise.

Just one efficiency suggestion- if ye turned your barstools upside down ye'd fit three more on each

I have no doubt some in the private sector got payrises, some stood still. I mean the pharma and IT sectors are out the door busy with the pandemic so there would of been growth here. But as pointed out when 2/5ths of the sector are put on PUP payments it negates any growth at all and would actually cause a drag on any extra income made due to the PUP payments. You cannot take 2/5ths of one sector out of an equation and say they all got payrises.

Public servants should now not be able to buy houses until everyone else is housed

Just one efficiency suggestion- if ye turned your barstools upside down ye'd fit three more on each

I think most people are asking that they dont get payrises while we are borrowing 17Billion and while there is so much uncertainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

I think most people are asking that they dont get payrises while we are borrowing 17Billion and while there is so much uncertainty.

Pay restoration. Not payrises.

Depends on how far you go back?

If your not going back its pay rise
    If your going back 10 years its restoration - cuts
    If your go back 15 years its a pay rise - bench marking (twice)

Hows about we do this we give you back the money for cuts (without the pension levy as that was an overdue contribution to a defined benefit) and we will also give you all the money back that you should of earned over the last 10/12 years. Then we will take away what was given in bench marking as well as what you made over the last 17/19 years out of bench marking. How does that suit?

For some reason, a few PSs think the last crash was caused by the private sector. My response to that, is that we are all part of the same hypocrisy, PSs also borrowed to buy expensive houses.

It helps with context when you read the posts being replied to.

Though I hope the last sentence in your post was sarcasm, just in case, you should really see someone about that barstool fetish. It’s kinda creepy.

How many private sector workers have referred to pay rises as restoration over the past 10 years.

Is “pay rise” banned in PS vocabulary?

Dav010 wrote: »
    How many private sector workers have referred to pay rises as restoration over the past 10 years.

Is “pay rise” banned in PS vocabulary?

Yeah also where is the reversal of the supposed temporary USC tax?

You're not a spokesperson for "most people".

• Advertisement

tenor.gif

You're not a spokesperson for "most people".

if you asked anyone working in the private sector who have no one related working in the public sector they would be of the same mind. Asking for pay rises while 17 billion in debt and so much uncertainty is bonkers.

if you asked anyone working in the private sector who have no one related working in the public sector they would be of the same mind. Asking for pay rises while 17 billion in debt and so much uncertainty is bonkers.

You're not a spokesperson for "anyone working in the private sector who have no one related working in the public sector".

You speak for yourself, no more and no less.

Yeah cos there's no way the Government would sink the country in billions of debt while maintaining these payments or anything!

If you want to call it "gold plated" then it needs to come with an irrevocable guarantee.

I work in the private sector and, while I have friends and family in the ps, I don't see it as a problem. People who work in companies such as IBM who have seen it sales and share price fall for years get pay rises.

However they and I are to busy working to be posting about it for hours each day on here.

tenor.gif

The joy that the mention of an upturned stool can bring to some.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    I work in the private sector and, while I have friends and family in the ps, I don't see it as a problem. People who work in companies such as IBM who have seen it sales and share price fall for years get pay rises.

However they and I are to busy working to be posting about it for hours each day on here.

The difference is IBM made over 73Billion in profit last year regardless of profit being down or share/sale prices being down. They made a healthy profit, you cant say that about the public sectors employer now can we.

https://newsroom.ibm.com/2021-01-21-IBM-Reports-2020-Fourth-Quarter-and-Full-Year-Results#:~:text=Net%20income%20from%20continuing%20operations,for%20the%20full%20year%202019.

The difference is IBM made over 73Billion in profit last year regardless of profit being down or share/sale prices being down. They made a healthy profit, you cant say that about the public sectors employer now can we.

https://newsroom.ibm.com/2021-01-21-IBM-Reports-2020-Fourth-Quarter-and-Full-Year-Results#:~:text=Net%20income%20from%20continuing%20operations,for%20the%20full%20year%202019.

No, we can't say that about the public sector because the public sector isn't a commercial business.

We can't say that my daughter's Camogie team won the Giro d'Italia cycling race.

That's doesn't make them a bad Camogie team.

Not just IBM where it happens as explained to you before.
    Anyway, 15 minutes left on my first break for the day so will be lunch time before I get back, as some of us have to do some actual work so others can spend all day on here complaining about public service pay and the taxes that they have to pay.

• Advertisement

You're not a spokesperson for "anyone working in the private sector who have no one related working in the public sector".

You speak for yourself, no more and no less.

I wish he would go and do a days work instead of obsessing over things he has no control over.

Advertisement