Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public service pay cut?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

I wish he would go and do a days work instead of obsessing over things he has no control over.

Well the more people who voice their concern over issues such as this people who make decisions might actually wake up to how unfair the system currently is. As for work dont you worry your little head about what I do, how I do my job does not impact you on how much money you take home in your after tax wage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Treppen

salonfire wrote: »
    For people on the older schemes, it is very much gold plated. Some don't even have to pay the full PRSI rate.

I haven't heard many saying the new scheme as gold plated. People have pretty much accepted pensions are going to be vastly reduced for everyone. In amount or by eligibility age.

Not if you're in private sector.

1. You can control your own investments and contributions with a personal pension.
    2. Some private sector pensions have company contributions, (don't forget share offerings too in the MNCs. ) That is a way of funding retirement which you won't get in public sector.
    3. Company directors can forego corporation tax liability by putting profits into pension... Not to mention foregoing same by having family members as "employees".

So no ... Pensions won't be reduced for everyone.
    But will 100% reduced for EVERYONE in public sector.

fliball123 wrote: »
    Well the more people who voice their concern over issues such as this people who make decisions might actually wake up to how unfair the system currently is. As for work dont you worry your little head about what I do, how I do my job does not impact you on how much money you take home in your after tax wage

Well considering how rife tax avoidance and evasion is in the private sector then it does.
    Also the level of control you have over your finances is vastly more favourable in the private sector.

And if you don't want to declare your job then it's hardly reasonable to be a hurler on the ditch bring an expert on everybody else's bread and butter.

It's all a bit begrudgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,584 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Treppen wrote: »
    Well considering how rife tax avoidance and evasion is in the private sector then it does.
    Also the level of control you have over your finances is vastly more favourable in the private sector.

And if you don't want to declare your job then it's hardly reasonable to be a hurler on the ditch bring an expert on everybody else's bread and butter.

Just to clarify, tax avoidance is not illegal, and if you have proof of tax evasion, contact Revenue. No more than AJR saying a poster doesn’t speak for most people, I doubt you can support your assertion that tax evasion is rife.

It happens in the public sector too. Grinds anyone? How is it more favorable there are very few pension schemes in the private sector that come close to public sector pensions with regards to cost. Add in that the government raided the private sector pensions after the last crash do you think when we are at such a vulnerable point with regards to debt, deficit and affordability as it relates to what government is spending that those in the private sector are foolish enough to start lashing money back in so they can raid it again? No thanks

Its not begrudgery its coping onto the fact that a payrise in ps pay means more taxes taken out of my wage and this can be seen when the ERSI are shooting remarks that income tax has to rise to raise the amount that we will be paying out in public sector pay rises.

• Advertisement

Believe me I don’t worry about you I just find it laughable how much focus you give this. Paschal is not reading boards looking for opinions on government policy.

It happens in the public sector too. Grinds anyone?

Ya grinds are rife across the public sector alright. Lol!
    How is it more favorable there are very few pension schemes in the private sector that come close to public sector pensions with regards to cost.

New public sector career average pension is practically cost neutral, you'll barely get out what you put in.
    Not to mention my department employer puts ZILCH towards my pension, definitely no share scheme either .

Add in that the government raided the private sector pensions after the last crash do you think when we are at such a vulnerable point with regards to debt, deficit and affordability as it relates to what government is spending that those in the private sector are foolish enough to start lashing money back in so they can raid it again? No tthanks

That's not the fault of the public sector worker. Don't forget your private sector buddies who caused the crash either.

The government raided everywhere after the crash. I'm still paying the crash tax the same as you.... Or maybe you're not, well never know as you don't like to show your hand in this card game. But peek into everyone else's.
    Its not begrudgery its coping onto the fact that a payrise in ps pay means more taxes taken out of my wage and this can be seen when the ERSI are shooting remarks that income tax has to rise to raise the amount that we will be paying out in public sector pay rises.

Where did you see more taxes taken out of YOUR wages? I see two extra taxes taken out of my wages every month since the crash (thanks to the private sector btw).
    I've had a wage cut since 2012... What I'm getting restored per year barely matches the extra crash tax I pay in 2 months.

This month I've paid €380 for ASC and USC tax.
    What have you paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You're not "more people" though. You're just one people.

It happens in the public sector too. Grinds anyone? How is it more favorable there are very few pension schemes in the private sector that come close to public sector pensions with regards to cost. Add in that the government raided the private sector pensions after the last crash do you think when we are at such a vulnerable point with regards to debt, deficit and affordability as it relates to what government is spending that those in the private sector are foolish enough to start lashing money back in so they can raid it again? No thanks

The "raid" on private sector pensions was a drop in the ocean compared to the "raid" on public sector salaries that is still in place.

Really though, neither of them were raids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

You're not "more people" though. You're just one people.

Ah but you see, a lot more people feel the same way as he does, just check post no.10 if you are in any doubt.

Just because they don't spend their time endlessly debating with you on this thread doesn't mean there isn't. Probably too busy working, those PS wages, expenses, overtime, pensions wont pay for themselves ya know.

• Advertisement

Ah but you see, a lot more people feel the same way as he does, just check post no.10 if you are in any doubt.

Just because they don't spend their time endlessly debating with you on this thread doesn't mean there isn't. Probably too busy working, those PS wages, expenses, overtime, pensions wont pay for themselves ya know.

Let's not kid ourselves that Boards users are anyway representative of the population at large.

There's lots of people on all sides that aren't posting here.

We all just speak for ourselves.

Ya grinds are rife across the public sector alright. Lol!

New public sector career average pension is practically cost neutral, you'll barely get out what you put in.
    Not to mention my department employer puts ZILCH towards my pension, definitely no share scheme either .

That's not the fault of the public sector worker. Don't forget your private sector buddies who caused the crash either.

The government raided everywhere after the crash. I'm still paying the crash tax the same as you.... Or maybe you're not, well never know as you don't like to show your hand in this card game. But peek into everyone else's.

Where did you see more taxes taken out of YOUR wages? I see two extra taxes taken out of my wages every month since the crash (thanks to the private sector btw).
    I've had a wage cut since 2012... What I'm getting restored per year barely matches the extra crash tax I pay in 2 months.

This month I've paid €380 for ASC and USC tax.
    What have you paid?

Theres 3 sites first page of google all with lists of people giving grinds I am sure they all pay tax on them

https://www.schooldays.ie/articles/grinds-leaving-cert-junior-cert-tutors-primary

https://classhub.ie/search?tutor_name=&category_id=40&area_id=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhr2FBhDbARIsACjwLo15ctpe1toW2U89kwPsbB09eh89ueV7PpTGiKnEofrc1q0_rpQKk5AaArSPEALw_wcB

https://www.firsttutors.com/ireland/

I didnt see them raiding the public sector pension pot?

I have been through the 200 billion in debt too many times but we owe 160 Billion for borrowings on the stupidity of the government borrowing to fund ps pensions pay and welfare through the naughties and basing it on stamp duty . Which sector do they work in again. As for the banks who was the watchdog supposed to be watching them?? where do they work , have one guess.

The ERSI are telling use we need an increase in income tax and at the same time people think its the right time for the public sector are getting 3 payrises. .

The "raid" on private sector pensions was a drop in the ocean compared to the "raid" on public sector salaries that is still in place.

Really though, neither of them were raids.

Well the cuts were just a realization that bench marking was a fraud. can we get our taxes back that was paid out for this?

Let's not kid ourselves that Boards users are anyway representative of the population at large.

There's lots of people on all sides that aren't posting here.

We all just speak for ourselves.

Thats what your hoping. The opinion I express is coming into view a lot more than you think.

Well the cuts were just a realization that bench marking was a fraud. can we get our taxes back that was paid out for this?

The real deficit on these topics is a credibility one, im sorry to have to inform you that weve tallied your posts vs the responses and you owe the thread quite a number of high quality posts

The real deficit on these topics is a credibility one, im sorry to have to inform you that weve tallied your posts vs the responses and you owe the thread quite a number of high quality posts

Did you not say your were going to ignore me ? Seems like the truth is cutting a little too fine with you.

The truth is alas cut very finely indeed between the mixer in the rest of your posts

Id say about .05% pure, not very good stuff.

Anyway, has there been any sign of a public sector pay cut yet, other than you repeating it will happen?

Any sign at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Did you not say your were going to ignore me ? Seems like the truth is cutting a little too fine with you.

I'd wager that almost to man on this thread no-one is taking heed of anything that you're posting.

Tell us what you work at that allows you so much free time to post on a subject you know little about, across multiple threads?

I'd wager that almost to man on this thread no-one is taking heed of anything that you're posting.

Tell us what you work at that allows you so much free time to post on a subject you know little about, across multiple threads?

I work in the Public sector :)

I work in the Public sector :)

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Don’t know about these days but used to work in IT he used to mention it in these discussions years ago.

Don’t know about these days but used to work in IT he used to mention it in these discussions years ago.

I still work in IT and my company makes a profit. I get done what I need to get done my work is not 9 to 5 mon to fri .. so dont be worrying what I do for work as it does not impact you or your take home pay.

I still work in IT and my company makes a profit. I get done what I need to get done my work is not 9 to 5 mon to fri .. so dont be worrying what I do for work as it does not impact you or your take home pay.

Exactly. Just like your witterings have on public sector pay.

I’m guessing the motivation is some friend, neighbour or family member working in the PS is well paid and he thinks they don’t deserve it.

I don’t believe for a second this is about the fiscal health of the country.

I’m guessing the motivation is some friend, neighbour or family member working in the PS is well paid and he thinks they don’t deserve it.

I'd say you're right

It seems so OTT, to be verging on illness.

Why do you think it is the former and not the latter?

Dav010 wrote: »
    Why do you think it is the former and not the latter?

Because it's clearly the former.

His posts are just endless incoherent anti-PS tirades.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

And yet people still entertain him or is it a case of being entertained by him :D

Clearly, in what way?

It appears that a few posters are unhappy with his/her viewpoint so have made up a scenario to explain it.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    Clearly, in what way?

Because of it's the latter it's bordering on insanity and he should seek help.

I have mates in Revenue and Dept Finance and they're not as obsessed with public service pay as this random IT guy.

Advertisement