Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public service pay cut?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

fliball123 wrote: »
    Or option 3: He has coped onto the fact that for every euro we spend on our outgoings has to be found and successive governments seem to keep going back to income tax as the main source to pay for it.

As for teachers giving grinds that was in response to a poster who was going on about tax avoidance going on in the private sector. I simply pointed out it is rampant in both.

Rampant is it?

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Keep telling yourself this if it makes you feel better, it doesn't however make it factual.

Deterrent he says?

Imagine how lucky we are as a nation to have Fliball looking out for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Keep telling yourself this if it makes you feel better, it doesn't however make it factual.

OK how does the Public sector pay anything towards my wage

Rampant is it?

It is google grinds in Ireland lots of websites for teachers looking for per hour rates. It goes on in the private sector too and who can blame them when our income tax rates are so high at such a low level

Deterrent he says?

Imagine how lucky we are as a nation to have Fliball looking out for us all.

Once again devoid of fact you have just stopped arguing as you know the facts dont back you up

• Advertisement

OK how does the Public sector pay anything towards my wage

What do you do for a living?

Personally working in a building built with CC and IDA funding pre covid, using the roads built and maintained by the CC to get there, while I get paid over three times what my equivalent does in the ps with better conditions and perks than they do.

Health service any time I needed hospital care when I worked security so I could go back to workand thankfully less since changing career

For my one friend on PUP they are the ones contributing to his benefits while also setting up the system and administering it.

List is not exhaustive but at least factual.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No public sector does not pay anything towards my wage. Sorry. If anything our public sector and the state its in and what we have to pay in tax to cover it is a deterrent to people investing here.

Did you ever get child benefit as a parent?

Well the cuts were just a realization that bench marking was a fraud. can we get our taxes back that was paid out for this?

The levy on pension funds was a realisation that pension tax relief is a fraud, a subsidy to the middle classes at the expense of the worst off.

It is google grinds in Ireland lots of websites for teachers looking for per hour rates. It goes on in the private sector too and who can blame them when our income tax rates are so high at such a low level

I don't need to because I have no need for the services of grinds tutors.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Piehead

Being a public servant is crap.. it's awful having a permanent guaranteed job with good pay.. public servants should be paid more than people in the private sector even though it's more secure and you can never be fired, no matter how crap you are..

• Advertisement

Thats what your hoping. The opinion I express is coming into view a lot more than you think.

Your opinions are an outlier as confirmed by your own admission that you can't find a political party to vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Piehead wrote: »
    Being a public servant is crap.. it's awful having a permanent guaranteed job with good pay.. public servants should be paid more than people in the private sector even though it's more secure and you can never be fired, no matter how crap you are..

I've seen people fired 8n the CS.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,584 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I've seen people fired 8n the CS.

Were any of them due to market forces?

Dav010 wrote: »
    Were any of them due to market forces?

Watch them goalposts man youll hurt someone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Treppen

You're shooting yourself in the foot, teachers giving grinds has nothing to do with the public sector.

Giving grinds is no different to going to someone's house and giving a haircut or fixing their gutters for cash in hand.

It's a private endeavour.

Treppen wrote: »
    You're shooting yourself in the foot, teachers giving grinds has nothing to do with the public sector.

Giving grinds is no different to going to someone's house and giving a haircut or fixing their gutters for cash in hand.

Especially when teachers working in private fee paying schools do it.

Watch them goalposts man youll hurt someone

One of the benefits which most PSs have over private sector workers is job security, this was mentioned in the post Southwesterly replied to when saying CSs have been fired. Private sector employment is sensitive to market forces, it’s a fair question, were any of those CSs fired as a result of market forces?

Again, context, the grinds post was in response to a PS saying tax evasion was rife in the private sector, and the question is, do state employed teachers always declare cash earned from grinds? It is a bit hypocritical if they don’t.

From personal experience, grinds were always paid in cash. I have no issue with that, their game, their rules.

Except most of the profiles if you look at the site give their work of how many years they are teaching so they are public sector. Look I don't blame them not declaring the income with the income rates being so high in the country

Except most of the profiles if you look at the site give their work of how many years they are teaching so they are public sector. Look I don't blame them not declaring the income with the income rates being so high in the country

I'm not sure if you've really thought this through. Do you think people who go advertising their services on websites don't declare the income?

Have you any idea how sharp Revenue are on this stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭relax carry on

What if was teachers giving haircuts for cash in hand? It would blow his mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

What if was teachers giving haircuts for cash in hand? It would blow his mind.

Or teachers giving grinds in exchange for free coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Vizzy wrote: »
    Or teachers giving grinds in exchange for free coffee

Stop. I'm on a plane out of this madhouse.

I'm not sure if you've really thought this through. Do you think people who go advertising their services on websites don't declare the income?

Have you any idea how sharp Revenue are on this stuff?

It would mean one revenue resource following each and every one of the people who have an advert up. How would the revenue know they have been paid unless they were in the house at the time of payments. Its not hard to pull off and tryng to track it and catch people dodging cash would end up costing us more.

I do blame them, they should be declaring for tax.

But as I said, it has nothing got to do with public sector work , there doing it outside of their employers remit on a private basis, same as if they were drawing silage for cash over the summer.

So to say that tax evasion is "rampant" IN the public sector is simply untrue.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Again, context, the grinds post was in response to a PS saying tax evasion was rife in the private sector, and the question is, do state employed teachers always declare cash earned from grinds? It is a bit hypocritical if they don’t.

From personal experience, grinds were always paid in cash. I have no issue with that, their game, their rules.

Again, context. Grinds are a personal private endeavour in the private sector.

Do state employed anybody declare tax from private endeavours outside their work?. Who knows, but they are not doing the work on the time of their employer. They're doing it privately. Saying that it is "rampant" IN the public sector is false.

Which just proves the point that it's easier to evade taxes in the private sector than in the public.

It would mean one revenue resource following each and every one of the people who have an advert up. How would the revenue know they have been paid unless they were in the house at the time of payments. Its not hard to pull off and tryng to track it and catch people dodging cash would end up costing us more.

Its amazing the things you think are obvious and easy and the things you think are impossible.

One would almost imagine you hadnt much of a clue about a lot of your topics in this thread, almost

Revenue have taken cases against grind teachers not declaring tax.
    BTW revenue can (and do) estimate how much is owed to them by their own calculations. They can also assess what your means is and any abnormal transactions in your bank. Once they pick an amount you owe its virtually impossible to appeal

Its amazing the things you think are obvious and easy and the things you think are impossible.

One would almost imagine you hadnt much of a clue about a lot of your topics in this thread, almost

I find a lot of these public sector bashers are experts at other people's jobs.... but when it comes to naming their own employment and financial circumstances... Tumbleweed....

• Advertisement

Jeez, for someone who knows everything about how to run the country, you seem to know very little about this issue.

It would actually require Revenue to do what they do with every other sector - take a few high profile cases, punish offenders and make sure they are well publicised, use their sophisticated analytics platforms to find exceptions to the income vs expenditure vs assets and audit a few chancers, and again, publicise the results.

They're pretty good at this stuff.

Advertisement