Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public service pay cut?

Options
1120121122123124126»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Jeez, for someone who knows everything about how to run the country, you seem to know very little about this issue.

It would actually require Revenue to do what they do with every other sector - take a few high profile cases, punish offenders and make sure they are well publicised, use their sophisticated analytics platforms to find exceptions to the income vs expenditure vs assets and audit a few chancers, and again, publicise the results.

They're pretty good at this stuff.

Have we seen the high profile offenders yet for people giving grinds ??? If we have I have not heard about it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

fliball123 wrote: »
    Have we seen the high profile offenders yet for people giving grinds ??? If we have I have not heard about it

They focus their resources where they are going to get the biggest bang for their buck,which clearly is not teachers giving grinds.

They focus their resources where they are going to get the biggest bang for their buck,which clearly is not teachers giving grinds.

Look I have said I have no truck with them doing it but to say its only going on in the private sector is wrong. As one person here spinning its a "private endeavor" shi1t. Its a public servant making money in the shadow economy. As I stated I dont blame them with the high income tax rates that are forced on to workers in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Look I have said I have no truck with them doing it but to say its only going on in the private sector is wrong. As one person here spinning its a "private endeavor" shi1t. Its a public servant making money in the shadow economy. As I stated I dont blame them with the high income tax rates that are forced on to workers in the country.

It is a private endeavour though. It has nothing to do with the State out with the potential tax liability.

Seriously, do you want to talk about this teacher issue you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

If a teacher gives grinds, or a Public sector Engineer/Architect/ Technician draws up house plans, they are no longer acting as Public Servants ( they are not paid as Public Servants/ no longer covered by any Public Service indemnities etc).

If they are doing so without declaring this for tax purposes they are acting illegally and should be prosecuted -End of.

• Advertisement

It is a private endeavour though. It has nothing to do with the State out with the potential tax liability.

Seriously, do you want to talk about this teacher issue you have?

so when the private sector do is it also a private endeavor as well its gas the double speak out of some here.

When the private sector do its tax avoidance by the private sector vs when the public sector does it its a private endeavor and zero to do with the public sector even do the person doing it works in the public sector...

Look lets move the conversation on I was simply pointing out to a poster its happens in both sectors and the above is how its explained away for those in the public sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

so when the private sector do is it also a private endeavor as well its gas the double speak out of some here.

When the private sector do its tax avoidance by the private sector vs when the public sector does it its a private endeavor and zero to do with the public sector even do the person doing it works in the public sector...

Look lets move the conversation on I was simply pointing out to a poster its happens in both sectors and the above is how its explained away for those in the public sector.

Answer me this - If I am a public servant from Monday to Friday from 9 to 5
    and I work as a barman on Saturday, am I still being paid as a public sector worker for my barman work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

You need to read that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So you are condoning tax evasion then? No wonder the country is struggling financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

How do you know they don't declare the income at the end of the year?

We learned a lot about private sector tax evasion in the last year. The hospitality and tourism sectors disappeared overnight and the tax take didn't even notice. Now, I don't know about you, but I have never met a poor publican or a poor hotelier or guesthouse owner. I would guess that the Revenue have an awful lot of material for years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Treppen

Ya I'm sure that'll make the newspapers... Teacher has to pay revenue 10k for undeclared income... Ya that'd put the kinehan Gang in the halfpenny place alright :pac:

Look at the tax defaulters list every year... How many public service occupations do you see.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/press-office/list-of-defaulters/index.aspx

Give it up fliball it's the private sector that are doing the absolute dog on it. Look at the occupations on the list EVERY YEAR. Teachers giving grinds in their own private time is a private sector drop in a very big private sector cesspool ocean of black economy.

But nice of you to bring the auld teacher bashing and public sector bashing into the one thread. Maybe we could consolidate the begrudgery for future threads.

Advertisement