Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public service pay cut?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

IMO there should be a 20% public sector wide pay cut to assist with the payment for this crisis

It is the fair thing to do to get this country back in check.

I don’t think it’ll be just an opinion soon it’ll be an absolute necessity to allow us access to loans to pay for all this self imposed mess. It’s time the country got onto this page and out of Covid induced narnia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

For the moment there is probably no point in worrying about cuts or tax increases. Hopefully we can borrow at a low rate and the economy kicks back into gear this year. That would be the best the case scenario. On the other hand, if it doesn't and if the rest of the world is in recession and we have quite a large deficit, it would be naive to think that there won't be cuts to salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭onrail

https://www.stats.govt.nz/topics/income
    average is just over NZ$1000 per week.
    at €1 = NZ$1.78 that is €29,601.

now there could be difference of methodology and so on, but NZ is a less prosperous country and salaries are lower there.

I imagine Auckland has the best wages going there.

Fair enough, but I'd like to delve into the particulars of that figure if I had time. My experience there was that cost of living in NZ was similar (if not higher) and salaries among the professional classes were much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Cutting public service pay of those that barely make 350 euro pw considering we’re giving people 300 euro regardless of prior earnings. Needs to be a way to recoup from those you used it and not punish those who put themselves at risk by continuing to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

What is so magic about September. Schools should experiment in June so as not to have all problems to solve in September. Despite a lot of justified criticism of the UK, they solved the Healthcare workers childminding problems by opening schools for their children. We have failed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    For the moment there is probably no point in worrying about cuts or tax increases. Hopefully we can borrow at a low rate and the economy kicks back into gear this year. That would be the best the case scenario. On the other hand, if it doesn't and if the rest of the world is in recession and we have quite a large deficit, it would be naive to think that there won't be cuts to salary.

“Hopefully “ we can borrow? And what pray tell happens when we can’t borrow?
    It won’t be just grand in 3 or 6 Months time!

IMO there should be a 20% public sector wide pay cut to assist with the payment for this crisis

It is the fair thing to do to get this country back in check.

And how will you be affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

And how will you be affected?

What a silly question. If the country gets back in check, it will be positive for all of us in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

road_high wrote: »
    “Hopefully “ we can borrow? And what pray tell happens when we can’t borrow?
    It won’t be just grand in 3 or 6 Months time!

Sure, well I think its unlikely. But no point in worrying about it now as it is all so unclear. In the case that we can't borrow, I guess we will have to look at cutting services, social welfare, public sector salaries and increasing taxes etc. Obviously we don't have a lot of room this time as we have over 200bn in debt.

addaword wrote: »
    What a silly question. If the country gets back in check, it will be positive for all of us in the long run.

He is talking about a 20% paycut being the fairest thing to do. I'm asking how exactly will he be affected in that case.

Btw you should butt out of questions that aren't addressed to you. Especially when you appear to not even understand what is being asked.

• Advertisement

He is talking about a 20% paycut being the fairest thing to do. I'm asking how exactly will he be affected in that case.

Btw you should butt out of questions that aren't addressed to you. Especially when you appear to not even understand what is being asked.

You should look beyond what effect it would have on one particular individual, if any, and instead look at what would be best for the country, given it is so heavily in debt and borrowing so much more now as a result of covit.

He/she said it would be the fairest thing to do to get the country back in check.

You should look beyond what effect it would have on one particular individual, if any, and instead look at what would be best for the country, given it is so heavily in debt and borrowing so much more now as a result of covit.

He/she said it would be the fairest thing to do to get the country back in check.

And how are you affected?

And how are you affected?

My taxes are affected as the billions that are needed to support the public sector, which is one of the highest paid and pensioned in the world, have to come from somewhere. If the country got back on track, it would be good for most people in the country. It is not fair on our children and grandchildren to be expected to repay current government borrowing which they spend foolishly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

My taxes are affected as the billions that are needed to support the public sector, which is one of the highest paid and pensioned in the world, have to come from somewhere. If the country got back on track, it would be good for most people in the country. It is not fair on our children and grandchildren to be expected to repay current government borrowing which they spend foolishly.

Giving people 350 a week for doing nothing doesnt help. The bank bailout and tax incentives etc for global multinationals aswell as PS pay amd pension should also be looked at and tackled.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chaos Black

What is your position on Government financial assistance to businesses and for example in particular, farmers?

I'll skip to the point and say that is a cheap shot. I looked at your posting history and saw you appear to own a farm or have some relation to the sector.

Ultimately, none of us will decide on taxes or pay decreases. Politicians will decide and hopefully make an informed decision (including advice from their Civil Servants) on what is in the national interest.

If a pay cut and increased taxes is what has to be done, i'll take it on the chin. More likely though i'll say as this goes on people will start pointing fingers at everyone else on who should pick up the tab.

So you want your children's pay cut 20%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/05/new-zealand-jacinda-ardern-4-day-week-pandemic-productivity

I'm just going to leave this article about a 4-day working week here.

So you want your children's pay cut 20%

Their employer will not be able to afford to sustain current wage levels.
    They can go and get jobs in the private sector if they want, but I bet they will stay in the public sector.

What is your position on Government financial assistance to businesses and for example in particular, farmers?

I'll skip to the point and say that is a cheap shot. I looked at your posting history and saw you appear to own a farm or have some relation to the sector.

Ultimately, none of us will decide on taxes or pay decreases. Politicians will decide and hopefully make an informed decision (including advice from their Civil Servants) on what is in the national interest.

If a pay cut and increased taxes is what has to be done, i'll take it on the chin. More likely though i'll say as this goes on people will start pointing fingers at everyone else on who should pick up the tab.

If things end up so bad that we need 20% paycuts then nobody in the country will get off lightly.

I cant see a 20% paycut or anything like it in reality. We ran near 20 billion deficits for years during the last recession. A couple of bad years due to covid is the most likely outcome. With the ECB printing money to cushion the economic effects. The whole world is in the crap this time. Worldwide austerity is not going to be the solution.

They can go and get jobs in the private sector if they want, but I bet they will stay in the public sector.

Unbelievable attitude to have for your own flesh and blood. 🀣

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

fawlty682 wrote: »
    What is so magic about September. Schools should experiment in June so as not to have all problems to solve in September. Despite a lot of justified criticism of the UK, they solved the Healthcare workers childminding problems by opening schools for their children. We have failed.

Experiment with children? Seriously??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Let’s compare what you are paid compared to your international counterparts ?

Not a vast majority, just some. And some of those may be out of a job soon. And difficult to compare a public service IT person to a website designer or google nerd, or the lad who fixes your laptop. They all work in IT you could say.

What about the secretaries, admin etc?

oh hes all about the fkn subtleties of comparison all a sudden

ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Could we start with cutting the wine in Ivy House. There's about €80,000 of wine in there.

yenom wrote: »
    Could we start with cutting the wine in Ivy House. There's about €80,000 of wine in there.

Plenty of money is wasted by the taxpayer to some at the top all right. The salary of the president of Ireland is 249,000. The salary of the president (their prime minister) of Spain, a much larger country, is only 82,000. Google it if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Plenty of money is wasted by the taxpayer to some at the top all right. The salary of the president of Ireland is 249,000. The salary of the president (their prime minister) of Spain, a much larger country, is only 82,000. Google it if you want.

And?

And
    yenom wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

https://www.stats.govt.nz/topics/income
    average is just over NZ$1000 per week.
    at €1 = NZ$1.78 that is €29,601.

now there could be difference of methodology and so on, but NZ is a less prosperous country and salaries are lower there.

I imagine Auckland has the best wages going there.

I worked in Australia, pay was about the same then - but taxes were so much lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

According to the Irish Times on the 15th of August last, hospital consultants here are paid 28% more than their counterparts in the UK, and 36% more than their counterparts in New Zealand. If, after paying insurance and overheads, consultants make more in private practice there is nothing to stop people leaving the public sector.

There are plenty of similar jobs in both sectors eg secretarial, admin, receptionist, lab technician, architect, vet, etc

Funny how Irish consultants are leaving to work in the UK , but none are coming down to us from the North

The basic pay in the UK is less but they get paid overtime and get merit awards, with less tax,
    -most consultants returning to Ireland take a pay cut.

You certainly wont find the top Irish consultants earning the type of money the NHS pays.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/16/doctor-earns-740000-year-nhs-gender-gap-revealed/

• Advertisement

According to the Irish Times on 15th of August last year, Irish hospital consultants earn 28% more than their UK counterparts.

Advertisement