Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public service pay cut?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

2ndcoming wrote: »
    That line is a favourite of the worst in society.

Fúck right off.

Your language says more about you than about me, and brings the tone of the boards debate down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

addaword wrote: »
    Our vat rate is higher, about a seventh higher. Our income tax rates kick in quicker. Excise duties. Usc. Cgt. They paid 28 to 28%, our rates are 33% to 40%, Because of the large number of multinationals here our GDP rates are skewed. I think David McWiĺiams was right.

Yes, our 23% VAT is higher than UK 20%, and our lower rate 13.5% is higher than their lower rate.

Excise on beer is very similar, can be lower here, depending on exchange rate.

Big difference is PRSI, we are 4%, UK is 12%.

Our tax credits are bigger, so we start paying income tax at a higher income than UK.

Our top MTR starts very early, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Your language says more about you than about me, and brings the tone of the boards debate down.

Okay, petal.

By the way, 2010 called, they want their debate back. How anyone is still engaging in this nonsense is the worst part. DONE. TO. DEATH.

Find a hobby. You'll be happier for it.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Fúck right off.

You should be reported.

ECB have pledged 750 billion for the covid relief fund. Public servants might get a pay rise out of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

ECB have pledged 750 billion for the covid relief fund. Public servants might get a pay rise out of that.

Hopefully. They deserve it after all they've done during the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

A central bank was supposed to be an independent national authority that conducted monetary policy, regulated banks, and provided financial services including economic research. Charlie McCreevy was paid by the government / taxpayer as well as the Central bank was. The Central bank did not do its job properly in the tiger years.

How can our Central Bank be classed as independent when it's sole shareholder is the minister for finance? He also has a role in appointing the Governor of the Central Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It was the bank who were doing tons of highly immoral but somehow barely legal sh1t,

It was not us doing barely legal **** snig making unheard amount of cash dong it?, that was the banks fault. They are f right offf?, as you say.
    Who do you think was borrowing from the banks? And investing in the banks?
    A central bank was supposed to be an independent national authority that conducted monetary policy, regulated banks, and provided financial services including economic research. Charlie McCreevy was paid by the government / taxpayer as well as the Central bank was. The Central bank did not do its job properly in the tiger years.

How can our Central Bank be classed as independent when it's sole shareholder is the minister for finance? He also has a role in appointing the Governor of the Central Bank.
    Who do you think should be the shareholder? Who do you think should appoint the Governor?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/reforms-spell-end-of-light-touch-era-1.787475

The Central Bank, like all public bodies, operates under legislation that sets out what they can and can't do. Your opinions on their role and scope are irrelevant. Their legislation was 'light touch' by design.

Ask Charlie McCreevy about they powers they had.
    I said the banks are as good as public sector. The state's shares in the banks can only be sold following an order from the finance minister. The Banks are guaranteed by the government. The other poster suggested they are typical of the private sector. They are not.
    You're right, they're not typical. Most private sector business don't get to bankrupt countries in the way our banks did, aided and abetted by the property developers.
    The point is they are not working. Neither are some teachers, going by the large numbers of parents whose pupils have not heard from their school in 5 or 6 weeks.
    Are they not working? Have you spoken to many of them or their principals to see what they are doing or not doing? And the 'large number of parents' is just another one of those things that you made up, right? You don't have any source for it. Are those parents all your nieces and nephews or what's today's fairy story?

Call them failteireland , whatever you want. I suppose you think all of their many employees are busy working from home advising tourists where to go for the weekend, or are they on €350 per week?
    It's not about what I call them. That's the name of the organisation, for at least ten years. It's amazing how you know what their employees are doing but you don't know the name of the organisation.
    At least you admit that this is all supposition on your part. You actually have no idea what Failte Ireland employees are doing or not doing. Maybe you should find out before you go casting slurs?
    You should be reported.

So report it. What are you waiting for?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

One thing I know is the anti PS toss bags on this site won't influence the decision. Be clear on that.

Bobtheman wrote: »
    One thing I know is the anti PS toss bags on this site won't influence the decision. Be clear on that.

As Colm Mccarthty the economist said, the country will not not out of compassion, it will run out of money. Cuts are inevitable in lots of things.

• Advertisement

riddles wrote: »

One kid in national school - no contact from the school in five weeks and no access to the books.

One in secondary school getting loaded on work with no coordination among teachers of workload volume.

How hard would it have been to create remote virtual classroom offering per year in primary albeit not a two way engagement per class year for 3 hours a day and then the current teacher distributes and corrects homework

A similar model per subject and year in secondary.

The department of education and a lot of the teaching community have absolutely no interest in their roles. A function currently totally unfit for purpose and in urgent need of reform.

PS the only current measure still active in the PS is whether you swipe in every day. Most don’t even have laptops and are at home on full pay. Others are literally swamped in work which is a representation of the PS in normal operations. About 30% carrying the 70% that do SFA.

Andrew Renko thinks the likes of you and me and countless others who know of kids who have not heard from their schools in 5 weeks are exaggerating!

Andrew Renko thinks the likes of you and me and countless others who know of kids who have not heard from their schools in 5 weeks are exaggerating!

Andrew Renko thinks that when you jump from one story from one parent to "large number of parents", then you are exaggerating.

Really, you're not helping yourself here.

Andrew Renko thinks that when you jump from one story from one parent to "large number of parents", then you are exaggerating.

You are still confused, or pretending to be. Riddles was one parent of a child in the school where the teacher did not communicate with his class in 5 weeks. There are plenty of kids in similar positions, where they have not heard from their teacher in 5 or 6 weeks. There are kids in my extended family like that. You yourself used the excuse that the reason was because some teachers did not have a laptop or tablet. Pathetic. You are not doing yourself any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭enricoh

Who knew Bob, groundbreaking stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,409 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If you can't discuss rationally without resorting to vulgar insults then why post?

You are still confused, or pretending to be. Riddles was one parent of a child in the school where the teacher did not communicate with his class in 5 weeks. There are plenty of kids in similar positions, where they have not heard from their teacher in 5 or 6 weeks. There are kids in my extended family like that. You yourself used the excuse that the reason was because some teachers did not have a laptop or tablet. Pathetic. You are not doing yourself any favours.

The only confusion here is in your apparent inability to comprehend basic English.

Here's what Riddles said; "One kid in national school - no contact from the school in five weeks and no access to the books"

There is no mention of the teacher not communicating with the class. Riddles said the teacher did not communicate with his child. You made the leap that the teacher didn't communicate with the class. That's another one of your imaginary leaps, like the 16,000 SNAs and the entire Failte Ireland staff. These issues exist in your own imagination.

And again, (for the fifth time, I think), my comment about teachers not having a laptop or tablet was in the context of them being required to manage classes through a Learning Management System. It was nothing to do with contacting the class for teaching. That's another one of your leaps.

Happy Leap Year. You win a Leap card as your prize.

And maybe you could come up with your quips, instead of taking other people's?

The only confusion here is in your apparent inability to comprehend basic English.

Here's what Riddles said; "One kid in national school - no contact from the school in five weeks and no access to the books"

There is no mention of the teacher not communicating with the class. Riddles said the teacher did not communicate with his child. You made the leap that the teacher didn't communicate with the class. That's another one of your imaginary leaps,

Riddles said in another post the teacher did not communicate with the class, and in the school my relations go to the teacher did not communicate with the class. Ask many parents, lots of teachers leave a lot to be desired. Imaginary leaps have nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Riddles said in another post the teacher did not communicate with the class, and in the school my relations go to the teacher did not communicate with the class. Ask many parents, lots of teachers leave a lot to be desired. Imaginary leaps have nothing to do with it.

Perhaps those teachers had Covid-19?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,409 ✭✭✭✭noodler

blanch152 wrote: »

Baseless.

You just made that up again. Here's Riddles two other posts on this thread, neither of which says what you claim he said. I've searched Riddles other posts too for 'class' and 'teacher' and nothing comes up.
    It take's perhaps allowing for time for a cup of tea an hours work on a Monday morning to upload to an App do page number whatever from English, Irish and Maths and then an artwork, or project for the rest of the week.
    the Seesaw app took 5 weeks to materialise all the books locked up in the school working off the CJFallon site.

Do you really think you can just make stuff up and not be caught out?

• Advertisement

All the teachers in the country who have not communicated with their class in 5 weeks cannot all have had Covid-19. And if they had, perhaps their headmaster or someone else would have sent them work?

Maybe the reason some schools have not communicated with their students in 5 weeks is because:

And not all teachers have laptops or tablets, so how they supposed to manage their students on the service?

It is hard to send out homework or keep in touch on a mobile phone, and anyway the schools do not provide teachers will a mobile phone. Who would pay for the wear and tear and energy use of a teachers own mobile phone anyway? Best not to use it. And think of the GDPR. It is the department of Educations fault. It is not even their fault. It is the ministers fault.

That's another one of your imaginary leaps, like the 16,000 SNAs and the entire Failte Ireland staff.
    Tell us where all the 16,000 Special Needs assistants are working so, or are they on the €350 p.w. covit payment, as was asked on the radio the other day?
    What tourists are all the Failte Ireland staff busily advising from home?

Riddles said the teacher did not communicate with his child.

Riddles said "One kid in national school - no contact from the school in five weeks and no access to the books". It was more than the teacher who did not communicate with the child. In another school I know, the headmaster contacted a parent of each child, to verify which teachers were sending work or not and if the parents were happy etc. That was the correct thing for the school to do. Unfortunately the conduct of one teacher did not improve but that teacher is retiring this year anyway.

All the teachers in the country who have not communicated with their class in 5 weeks cannot all have had Covid-19. And if they had, perhaps their headmaster or someone else would have sent them work?

How many are in this 'all the teachers who have not communicated with their class in five weeks'? Is this one, or two, or thousands?

Maybe the reason some schools have not communicated with their students in 5 weeks is because:

It is hard to send out homework or keep in touch on a mobile phone, and anyway the schools do not provide teachers will a mobile phone. Who would pay for the wear and tear and energy use of a teachers own mobile phone anyway? Best not to use it. And think of the GDPR. It is the department of Educations fault. It is not even their fault. It is the ministers fault.

It's great the way you include the direct quote, and then you have to twist and exaggerate it to find something to complain about, because there really isn't anything to complain about in the quote itself.

So are you still saying that Riddler said there was no contact with the class for five weeks, or do we just write that off as another of your fantasies?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The ECB launched 750 bn PEPP a few weeks ago, March 2020.

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/mopo/implement/pepp/html/index.en.html

It is not a direct transfer to Govts, so it will not be spent directly on PS pay.

You may be thinking of the European Commission response to COVID, which is also 750bn, you may be confusing them?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0527/1142811-europe-recovery-fund/

How many are in this 'all the teachers who have not communicated with their class in five weeks'? Is this one, or two, or thousands?

As you seem out of touch with the education system, I suggest you ask the parents of school going kids how often teachers are in contact. Some are excellent and are in contact every day, some once a week and some even less. Draw your own conclusions.

No answer thew question about the SNA's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Who would pay for the wear and tear and energy use of a teachers own mobile phone anyway? Best not to use it. And think of the GDPR. It is the department of Educations fault. It is not even their fault. It is the ministers fault.

Whoa, whoa, back up the truck a bit here.

I am using my own phone and my own laptop for the last 8 weeks.
    All on a secure app, and no more of a GDPR risk than if I am sitting at my desk.
    If I exceed my monthly limit for the phone or for internet ( which I haven't yet) the excess will be paid for.
    As for energy, I assume you are referring to Electricity, well, for the amount of power I am using, I am willing to suffer the loss.
    But then, why wouldn't I, I'm sitting at home on my a**e doing nothing like everyone else in the PS.

Vizzy wrote: »
    like everyone else

I never said everyone. Some teachers are excellent and I personally know a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Was disappointed this week to see my sons weekly Thursday zoom call was cancelled as it is a scheduled day off this week. No offer to move it forward to tommorow for example. Ironic as I had provided feedback to the school last week that we would like a second weekly call with the teacher. So it’s one email and one Zoom call (occasionally)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

And SNA's, couldn't be any excellent amongst the 16,000 of them, given that they are sitting on their a**e doing nothing since the crisis started, could there?

Advertisement