Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public service pay cut?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    while both public and private live in the same economy and thus compete for housing ,services etc , the reality is the main driver of public sector pay is union influence over politicians , if government decide to raise public sector wages , its largely because they view it as electorally profitable , preventing defection to the private sector is a very small consideration

Since the turn of the century our PS and running costs have cost 130 bn more than the state has taken from the private sector in taxation , the new strategy seems to be to keep borrowing more money and apparently never pay it back while paying very low interest rates , it may work in the short term but it wont work in the long term as future shocks reduce income.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭onrail

Competition for most roles above CO in the public service is extremely high, nothing unusual about that.

But if there are people in the public sector managing the contracting of your service, then there is are roles for you. Not everyone can make the grade of course.

The people managing my service have barely a bulls notion what I do. It’s a checklist thing.

But the ‘extremely high competition‘ for those positions ultimately proves the point that public service is more desirable than private sector no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

addaword wrote: »
    I done the next best thing. I made sure my kids got jobs there.

No, you didn't.

Stop making stuff up.

onrail wrote: »
    The people managing my service have barely a bulls notion what I do. It’s a checklist thing.

But the ‘extremely high competition‘ for those positions ultimately proves the point that public service is more desirable than private sector no?

Not based on posters commenting on an actual competition

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057913063

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

Since the turn of the century our PS and running costs have cost 130 bn more than the state has taken from the private sector in taxation .

That would be astonishing if it were true. I am not saying it is not, by the way.. There are close on 2 million private sector workers and only 330,000 public sector workers. Think of all the tax the private sector pays to the government, be it income tax, vat, usc, excise duty, vehicle registration tax, inheritance tax, gift tax, capital gains tax, corporation tax etc. You think all that plus 130 billion more has been swallowed by the public service ? Maybe you just meant income tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Would you care to expand on this?

Staff Officer grade all promoted to Executive Officer level 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭doc22

august12 wrote: »

Would you care to expand on this?

Staff Officer grade all promoted to Executive Officer level 2017.

Meh it was the same grade in all but name, and as an EO grade it's now an open panel appointment too while all SO's were internal promotions. SO's started at a hire salary too.

Vizzy wrote: »
    No, you didn't.

Yes I did. They got good advice from family and friends.

Yes I did. They got good advice from family and friends.

You still did not "make sure your kids got a job there", unless you sat the assessment test and did the interview for them.
    You you are still making stuff up.

You still did not "make sure your kids got a job there", unless you sat the assessment test and did the interview for them.
    You you are still making stuff up.

Every parent likes to see their kids educated by their family and good friends on the best choices to make in life. It is not extremely difficult to get in to the public service. They can always leave and get a job in the private sector but I doubt they ever will, the public service just has so many advantages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It is now beyond question that every single political party prioritises the public sector above everyone else

Every parent likes to see their kids educated by their family and good friends on the best choices to make in life. It is not extremely difficult to get in to the public service. They can always leave and get a job in the private sector but I doubt they ever will, the public service just has so many advantages.

But not every parent is going hell for leather to get their kids pay and conditions worsened.

It is now beyond question that every single political party prioritises the public sector above everyone else

Just like 2008 to 2010 where pay was cut, pension levy was applied, extra hours added, more work heaped on less staff, sick pay scheme reduced etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

Proper order too, they're the only ones doing any work at the moment. Sure the whole private sector are on covid leave, the lazy shower of dogs..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

doc22 wrote: »

Meh it was the same grade in all but name, and as an EO grade it's now an open panel appointment too while all SO's were internal promotions. SO's started at a hire salary too.
    So why wasn't it extended across the public sector including HSE, my point being, civil service has a strong union representation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

kingstevii wrote: »
    Proper order too, they're the only ones doing any work at the moment. Sure the whole private sector are on covid leave, the lazy shower of dogs..

Say it aint so Krusty

Slipsliding again.

Did you or did you not "make sure" your kids got a job in the public service ?

It is not supposed to be "extremely difficult" to get a job in the public service. It quite simple actually. Just apply for the job, do an appropriate assessment and interview, and provided you can convince the interview board that you are the most deserving candidate, you will be offered the job.

Another route, of course, is to get you to intervene and you can "make sure" that the person will get the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭doc22

doc22 wrote: »
    So why wasn't it extended across the public sector including HSE, my point being, civil service has a strong union representation.

A strong union would have prevented it, promotions now start 7/8k below SO salary and the fact 50% of promotions will come externally is hardly a big win:confused:. For Roles in SW, Revenue where CO staff were there for 20 years the SO grade meant those internal staff could be rewarded and with the knowledge of system/processes could manage staff easily. Now an EO could could be out into the exact same role of SO with no experience of the civil service and attempt to manage staff far more experienced than them. For some offices SOs made up the majority of Junior management due to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Surprised they signed off on the final 2% restoration in October. Was a lovely article in the Sunday Times today saying they shouldn't have. I don't know what I'll do with my 9 odd quid extra per week. Add more Koi Carp to the lake or another wing to the east of the house!

this thread has given me an awful dose of guilt

i'll pass the 2% on to the butler i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭onrail

Slipsliding again.

Did you or did you not "make sure" your kids got a job in the public service ?

It is not supposed to be "extremely difficult" to get a job in the public service. It quite simple actually. Just apply for the job, do an appropriate assessment and interview, and provided you can convince the interview board that you are the most deserving candidate, you will be offered the job.

Another route, of course, is to get you to intervene and you can "make sure" that the person will get the job.

I think by ‘making sure’ he means that he strongly encouraged them to pursue public service careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Property tax and water rates will be merged together as a household charge and greatly increased. Greens will get much of their way and carbon taxes will pacify them but also collect additional revenues. Plenty sneaky taxes. Pensions hit also

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm on 30+ pages here, so maybe I missed it. If the public service should take a pay cut, should those still working in the private sector also be taxed an equivalent amount, so we can all get the country back up and running together?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Property tax and water rates will be merged together as a household charge and greatly increased. Greens will get much of their way and carbon taxes will pacify them but also collect additional revenues. Plenty sneaky taxes. Pensions hit also

And what about those of us who don't pay water charges as we pay to maintain our own wells?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

MarkR wrote: »
    I'm on 30+ pages here, so maybe I missed it. If the public service should take a pay cut, should those still working in the private sector also be taxed an equivalent amount, so we can all get the country back up and running together?

No I think cutting public service workers pay thread was started and agreed with by private workers so I don’t think they want their pay touched lol...

costacorta wrote: »
    No I think cutting public service workers pay thread was started and agreed with by private workers so I don’t think they want their pay touched lol...

Yes, somebody else must pay. It's always their preferred solution.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

No, that would be hypocritical. I'm sure they would be onboard. I mean there's a 30 billion hole in the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Acquiescence

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    And what about those of us who don't pay water charges as we pay to maintain our own wells?

I would suspect that the vast majority that roll out this argument are farmers who do actually maintain access to mains water whether they use it or not.

Maybe I'm wrong in this case.

But personally in that position or similar i would certainly contend that contributing to the upkeep of the infrastructure would be important. What if a circumstance were to arise where the well water is inaccessible for whatever reason.

onrail wrote: »
    I think by ‘making sure’ he means that he strongly encouraged them to pursue public service careers.

He spent about 4 or 5 pages on this thread quoting another poster on what they wrote/said, if he meant "that he strongly encouraged them to pursue public service careers" he should have said that, an not make claims that he cant stand over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Surprised they signed off on the final 2% restoration in October. Was a lovely article in the Sunday Times today saying they shouldn't have. I don't know what I'll do with my 9 odd quid extra per week. Add more Koi Carp to the lake or another wing to the east of the house!

Don’t go to mad with that 9 Euro. I might buy an extra coffee a week. Feel like a rebel

Advertisement