Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public service pay cut?

Options

Comments

Geuze wrote: »
    You seem to be against any employer contributing to staff pensions?.

The likes of fliball would have public servants breaking rocks for a dollar a day if they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭HartsHat

fliball123 wrote: »
    So you agree they dont cover the full cost thanks for clearing that up. Let them pay the full cost

Why? When I was in the Private Sector, my employer covered a significant amount of my pensions through contributions. Then the public sector also covered an even more significant portion through tax breaks?

Nobody pays the full cost of their own pension.

The State subsidies everyone's. If your employer isn't covering yours you have to ask, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

HartsHat wrote: »
    Why? When I was in the Private Sector, my employer covered a significant amount of my pensions through contributions. Then the public sector also covered an even more significant portion through tax breaks?

Nobody pays the full cost of their own pension.

The State subsidies everyone's. If your employer isn't covering yours you have to ask, why not?

I pay far more than the cost of my own state pension each year. By that I mean in one year of work the state receives more in PRSI from me than the yearly pension pays out.

Do people understand how many deductions there are in the PS?

Once you earn over 40k your marginal tax rate us about 60%

People like to throw around figures like 50-60k in the PS and mask it as a massive wage, I can confirm it is not

I get a contribution from my company of approx €200 per month. I put €1500 per month into my pension. I don't regard this as "tax". Why dont public sector workers get their unions to make it optional to take part in the defined benefit pension? Then of course the pension contribution would be optional.

988 as average public service wages per week is ridiculous. That figure is pushed up enormously by the high wage grades like AP, PO & Ast Secretary. There are very few post 2011 workers (already on reduced wages and far worse pension compared to colleagues performing same role) who will see anywhere near that money for a decade or two. I've recently been promoted after 3 years as a CO to EO, and won't come near that for 12 years.

That number also includes allowances and overtime for Gardai, etc.

The private comparison, once again ignored all the part-time staff, under 18s working weekend jobs outside of the minimum wage and nose importantly, that the millionaires don't declare their incomes publicly as they are not required to.

That will all be ignored by the next public sector bashing comment as addaworld continues to do

• Advertisement

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    I get a contribution from my company of approx €200 per month. I put €1500 per month into my pension. I don't regard this as "tax". Why dont public sector workers get their unions to make it optional to take part in the defined benefit pension? Then of course the pension contribution would be optional.

I don't see that poster claiming it's tax either however I am surprised that your company share is so little. Most company schemes match the staff.

Do however notev that your private pension contributions are tax deductible

I don't see that poster claiming it's tax either however I am surprised that your company share is so little. Most company schemes match the staff.

Do however notev that your private pension contributions are tax deductible

In 20 years of working in tech companies, I have never had a defined benefit pension. Normally it is a percent of salary, typically 5% in my experience. My current company caps the contribution at 5% of a fairly low salary.

Its also worth mentioning that the employer contribution is before PRSI and USC. My own contribution is taken after these have been deducted, so it isn't tax free making employee contributions. This is something that has been brought in during the last recession. I think employer contributions should be treated the same as employee contributions from a tax perspective. The reason this wasn't brought in was it would disproportionately affect the public sector. The pension situation here is rubbish for private sector workers. To be perfectly honest if they made it any worse, by say capping the tax free rate at 20% or something, I would work abroad.

I think a lot of public sector workers think everyone gets great pension contributions in the private sector, but it hasn't been my experience. I suppose some of the old fashioned type companies that were traditional kind of linked to the public sector, like banks, managed to keep the defined benefit pension going for a while. I haven't worked for any of them.

In 20 years of working in tech companies, I have never had a defined benefit pension. Normally it is a percent of salary, typically 5% in my experience. My current company caps the contribution at 5% of a fairly low salary.

Its also worth mentioning that the employer contribution is before PRSI and USC. My own contribution is taken after these have been deducted, so it isn't tax free making employee contributions. This is something that has been brought in during the last recession. I think employer contributions should be treated the same as employee contributions from a tax perspective. The reason this wasn't brought in was it would disproportionately affect the public sector. The pension situation here is rubbish for private sector workers. To be perfectly honest if they made it any worse, by say capping the tax free rate at 20% or something, I would work abroad.

I think a lot of public sector workers think everyone gets great pension contributions in the private sector, but it hasn't been my experience. I suppose some of the old fashioned type companies that were traditional kind of linked to the public sector, like banks, managed to keep the defined benefit pension going for a while. I haven't worked for any of them.

It's really not my issue if you have a bad pension scheme. Try to get a better one.

You get tax relief on pension contributions, if you don't understand how that works, again that's on you. I'm not your financial advisor.

It all boils down to one simple reality. I am still very much needed in the current climate, it anything we need to recruit more staff. My pension was agreed long before I joined. You could have and still can apply to the public sector. Your career choices aren't my concern nor do I see fit to try and convince your employer, which I pay as a customer, to reduce your safety and benefits.

It's really not my issue if you have a bad pension scheme. Try to get a better one.

You get tax relief on pension contributions, if you don't understand how that works, again that's on you. I'm not your financial advisor.

It all boils down to one simple reality. I am still very much needed in the current climate, it anything we need to recruit more staff. My pension was agreed long before I joined. You could have and still can apply to the public sector. Your career choices aren't my concern nor do I see fit to try and convince your employer, which I pay as a customer, to reduce your safety and benefits.

Well, you don't pay anything to my company as a customer. We don't have customers, it isn't that type of business. My career choices have worked out very well thanks. I haven't been calling for any reduction in your conditions either, if you look through my previous posts. My point is really based on the tax system and the situation the government has for private pensions. If they look to massively increase taxes again or increase the cost to saving for a pension, i'm done.
    The current situation has shown that all I really need is internet and a computer to do my job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

The likes of fliball would have public servants breaking rocks for a dollar a day if they could.

It doesnt matter what I say or what you say. The fact is in 2008 when we hit the crash the numbers were not as bad and public sector pay had to be cut. 2020 the numbers will be a hell of a lot worse and if we go into a depression you can be guaranteed that the ps will have to have a pay cut. Its simple maths I dont understand how anyone doesnt get this we are already 200billion in the hole with an addtional 30billion forcast. What if we have a few boughts of Covid and the lads who are temporary on the dole dont get their jobs back..Do you think we can continue paying what we are paying with 25% less people working. I dont think so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,014 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It doesnt matter what I say or what you say. The fact is in 2008 when we hit the crash the numbers were not as bad and public sector pay had to be cut. 2020 the numbers will be a hell of a lot worse and if we go into a depression you can be guaranteed that the ps will have to have a pay cut. Its simple maths I dont understand how anyone doesnt get this we are already 200billion in the hole with an addtional 30billion forcast. What if we have a few boughts of Covid and the lads who are temporary on the dole dont get their jobs back..Do you think we can continue paying what we are paying with 25% less people working. I dont think so

The PS have learned a lot from 2008.
    Very little was restored to them.
    A series of strikes would ensue and the country cannot afford that.

Good luck with that the general public have learned as well there is a lot of good will at the moment towards nurses but be warned the squeezed middle are already over taxed and those who are mobile will leave worsening the situation. Strike away see how far it gets you

Good luck with that the general public have learned as well there is a lot of good will at the moment towards nurses but be warned the squeezed middle are already over taxed and those who are mobile will leave worsening the situation. Strike away see how far it gets you

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

khalessi wrote: »
    Where have PS looked for payrises?

Nurses went on strike in breach of the Pubsec pay deal last year, screwing over thousands of patients.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/nurses-announce-two-extra-strike-dates-to-five-already-planned-901822.html

Teachers had several strikes this year over pay

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0204/1112962-teachers/

Gardai threatened a full scale illegal strike in 2016, they received a 50 million euro extra pay for that.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda-overtime-at-celtic-tiger-level-over-cost-of-averting-strike-1.3310121?mode=amp

I agree that most of the PS are part of the squeezed middle.
    They won’t take any more.
    Striking has also got them plenty in the past and they know that.

I agree that most of the PS are part of the squeezed middle.
    They won’t take any more.
    Striking has also got them plenty in the past and they know that.

See where it gets them when everyone is being taxed to pay to keep them at a level that is unsustainable not only do they want to keep what they have they want pay rises. It cant be done there will be an absolute sh1t storm is any government attempt to up income tax rates its already to much. So something going to have to give

See where it gets them when everyone is being taxed to pay to keep them at a level that is unsustainable not only do they want to keep what they have they want pay rises. It cant be done there will be an absolute sh1t storm is any government attempt to up income tax rates its already to much. So something going to have to give

Let the games begin.

Let the games begin.

Its not exactly a game I take no bloody enjoyment in having these discussions I would much rather we didnt have covid , we didnt have a sh1tstorm coming down the line with unemployment along with the strong possibility of the greatest depression the world has seen. There is no chance public sector pay will be immune to this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

purifol0 wrote: »

Teachers had several strikes this year over pay

1 day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

So you agree they dont cover the full cost thanks for clearing that up. Let them pay the full cost
    Do all private sector workers cover the full cosy of their contributory pension, I don't so, but you don't hear me moaning about it, Some qualify for a full contributory pension on 10 years contributions, I am not entitled to a contributory pension, and my PS pension is not the gold plated one people make it out to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

august12 wrote: »
    Do all private sector workers cover the full cosy of their contributory pension,.

Most private sector workers cannot afford their own pensions, after they pay through their taxes for the government ones. And most private sector workers work in SMEs, not fancy multinationals like Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I pay far more than the cost of my own state pension each year. By that I mean in one year of work the state receives more in PRSI from me than the yearly pension pays out.

The contributory state pension at current rates pays out €12,900 a year. To pay more than that in PRSI (let's very conservatively say €13,200) you would be earning €330,000 a year. Roughly equal to 11 clerical officers with 6 years experience. Congrats to you, I guess.

Pretty pathetic on both you and your employers part given the above information. You could fill a gold plated pension of your very own in a fraction of the time those pesky public servants could on that salary.

Public support is overrated. ESB never had much support for any of their disputes but they had clout.

Its not exactly a game I take no bloody enjoyment in having these discussions

Stop acting like what you say has any influence or importance. We are just a few people on a discussion forum. Nobody is listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

Stop acting like what you say has any influence or importance.

What the net taxpayer, those who fund the fund the government and the public sector say or think is important. The lives of many of the 2 million in the private sector has been decimated, yet the cossetted public sector expects a pay increase in these recessionary times when the country is borrowing 30 billion to keep the lights on?

Public servants always attack the messenger, be it the Indo, the Irish Times, The Sunday Times, Eddie Hobbs, Colm McCarthy, David McWilliams etc. Pay cuts are inevitable to help re-balance the country. In New Zealand some people paid by the public purse there have taken a 20% pay cut voluntarily.

This entire thread and forum provides a fantastic insight for anyone reading back on it on the years to come.

Those that are already promoting lies about the previous recession are finding it harder to get away with as they once did, since the threads from ten years ago are still up.

Boards.ie and to alesser extent politics.ie is invaluable in that sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

purifol0 wrote: »
    This entire thread and forum provides a fantastic insight for anyone reading back on it on the years to come.

Those that are already promoting lies about the previous recession are finding it harder to get away with as they once did, since the threads from ten years ago are still up.

Boards.ie and to alesser extent politics.ie is invaluable in that sense.

What lies are being promoted?

khalessi wrote: »
    What lies are being promoted?

That the public sector do not discriminate on age. That there were no public sector strikes. That was just the last 2 days and I rebutted them in my previous two posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

addaword wrote: »
    Most private sector workers cannot afford their own pensions, after they pay through their taxes for the government ones. And most private sector workers work in SMEs, not fancy multinationals like Google.

Don't forget the govt dipped their hands into private pensions when the going got tough .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭HartsHat

addaword wrote: »

That's bad financial planning.

My public sector pension is no better than my private sector pension, because I was earning so much additional in private sector that I was able to put a good chunk away, tax free.

If you're not availing of such a government subsidy, that's on you.

Take some personal responsibility.

Advertisement