Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public service pay cut?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

How about we first of all identify who are these librarians doing no work? Where are they? Have they been reassigned by their local authority to other departments, or to the HSE for contact tracing? Do they actually exist anywhere beyond your own imagination?

As I said earlier to another poster, it was a general statement. Those that have no work have no work! Private or public sector.

So would you agree that...
    those that have no work should be temporarily put on the C19 payment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

noodler wrote: »
    Pay increases every year.

Increments too.

And a plethora of sector specific deals.

I don't know why colleagues in the service have this feeling of being "owed". There was alot taken off people during the last recession.

It is quite entitled, and a bit disrespectful to the taxpayer generally, to even deny the increase in pay over the last year which have contributed to a couple of billion euro increase in the PS pay bill

It doesn't matter how many times you say it - there have been no pay increases since 2008. There has been some restoration of some of the cuts, but not all.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

According to the Irish Times, a Garda retiring at 60 with a €102,000 lump sum and €34,000 pension would have their pot valued at €1.8 million, including the spouse’s benefit. An ordinary public servant, retiring with a €60,000 lump sum and €20,000 pension has benefits worth €850,000 in private-sector terms.

n97 mini wrote: »
    As I said earlier to another poster, it was a general statement. Those that have no work have no work! Private or public sector.

So would you agree that...

So you're not aware of any examples of public servants with no work then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,479 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Geuze wrote: »
    Here are some details of the past four pay deals, AFAIK

(1) Croke Park agreement - two pay cuts

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/89ddb8-croke-park-agreement/?referrer=/en/croke-park-agreement/

PDF file of agreement:

https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/6622/243d1eeba2634e08845131ffc96df7f0.pdf#page=1

(2) Haddington road: more hours to work, third pay cut for >65k

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/3b1739-haddington-road-agreement/?referrer=/haddington-road-agreement/

PDF:
    https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/6623/f5412f648cc74dccb9493859c9355051.pdf#page=1

FAQs:
    https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/25399/bcfdf41436d444148d4c2dce99935fa3.pdf#page=1

Also 10% less for new entrants somewhere in (1) or (2)

(3) Lansdowne Road agreement - this was the first pay restoration

• PRD threshold increased from 15k to 28,750.

• A flat extra 1,000 pa for all workers

• HRA extra pay cuts for people on over 65k were reversed

(4) Current PSSA

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/432f22-public-service-stability-agreement-2018-2020/

PDF:
    https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/6618/394821552e784f17aa5407e8af32e410.pdf#page=1

The principal pay measures in the agreement are:
    • 1 January 2018 annualised salaries were increased by 1%
    • 1 October 2018 annualised salaries were increased by 1%
    • 1 January 2019 annualised salaries up to €30,000 were increased by 1%
    • 1 September 2019 annualised salaries increase by 1.75%
    • 1 January 2020 annualised salaries up to €32,000 increase by 0.5%
    • 1 October 2020 annualised salaries increase by 2%

It's not always clear why you quote links and copy/paste information.

Thanks for providing a link to the fact there have been annual pay increases since 2016 bit I'm not sure anyone questioned it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,746 ✭✭✭✭kippy

No no, silly. This is Ireland. In Ireland, we don't "cut" anything. We instead identify the narrow band of hard working middle income private sector higher rate taxpayers (around 20% of the population), and we simply increase their taxes yet again. More welfare and more public sector pay, sure why not? Wouldn't it be cruel not to? Just identify those people, tax them once again, and then pat yourself on the back for reducing "inequality".

You're the lad with the masters in economics right?

You must have gone to the school where they taught you that taxes only applied to private sector workers. It's a pity, you might have been a contender.

Great thread by the way - It brings me right back to the 2009-2012 period of Irish history where private versus public was the number one billing.

Yes I am, but are you going to answer the question or keep trying to deflect?

Also, while you're at it, do you think it's impossible for over half the private sector to be out of work and not have one public sector worker with nothing to do?

It's not always clear why you quote links and copy/paste information.

Thanks for providing a link to the fact there have been annual pay increases since 2016 bit I'm not sure anyone questioned it.

There have been no increases since before 2007. There has been some restoration of some, but not all, of the cuts.

Of course people know of some public servants with little or no work this past few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

It doesn't matter how many times you say it - there have been no pay increases since 2008. There has been some restoration of some of the cuts, but not all.

Did the cash into your bank account go up or down?

• Advertisement

addaword wrote: »
    According to the Irish Times, a Garda retiring at 60 with a €102,000 lump sum and €34,000 pension would have their pot valued at €1.8 million, including the spouse’s benefit. An ordinary public servant, retiring with a €60,000 lump sum and €20,000 pension has benefits worth €850,000 in private-sector terms.

And your point is?

That people accepted modest salaries over their career to benefit from a decent pension scheme?

Why don't you run the figures for what new entrants post 2013 will come out with under the Single Pension Scheme and see who's impressed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

So the pay restorations so far have been:

third pay cut for people over 65k reversed
    less PRD/pension levy, as the PRD threshold was increased to 34,500
    1,000 pay increase
    2018 = 1% and 1%
    2019 = 1.75%
    2020 = 2% in autumn

Childish tbh.

Anyway, that's the union view.

The bottom line is there has been a pay increase every year in the public sector. Multiple for some due to increments and sectoral specific deals.

Paybill in 2014: 14.7bn

Paybill in 2020: 19.7bn

Obviously you could only really attribute half of that to pay rates as we have just surpassed the Celtic Tiger peak for numbers employed but they rate increases have been significant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Pay increases every year.

Increments too.

And a plethora of sector specific deals.

I don't know why colleagues in the service have this feeling of being "owed". There was alot taken off people during the last recession.

It is quite entitled, and a bit disrespectful to the taxpayer generally, to even deny the increase in pay over the last year which have contributed to a couple of billion euro increase in the PS pay bill

The increase so called was after Savage reductions.
    I joined 3 years ago. My first pay slip was €30 more than I had on social welfare (with 2 kids) a few weeks earlier along with the loss of a lot of benefits to add to my joy of working. I was worse off working.

I'm on roughly 450 take home after a 37.5 hour working week. Add to that an 80km round trip every day to work and home. Car, insurance, tax, fuel etc. And don't say use public transport. The nearest bus/ train is 15 km away.
    If anyone thinks 450 a week is overpaid, you're in cloud cuckoo land. I was earning more in the private sector until I was made redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

kippy wrote: »
    You're the lad with the masters in economics right?

You must have gone to the school where they taught you that taxes only applied to private sector workers. It's a pity, you might have been a contender.

I dont need a chart for this one lads

The way the country gets income tax:

Private sector>Exchequer>Public sector

Note its not the other way around.

Every public sector worker is another cost to the country's balance sheet that the private sector worker is hit for, no matter how much "tax" is written on their (PubSec) payslip.

Childish tbh.

Anyway, that's the union view.

The bottom line is there has been a pay increase every year in the public sector. Multiple for some due to increments and sectoral specific deals.

Paybill in 2014: 14.7bn

Paybill in 2020: 19.7bn

Obviously you could only really attribute half of that to pay rates as we have just surpassed the Celtic Tiger peak for numbers employed but they rate increases have been significant.
    I agree,
    time to slash 25% off the public sector pay and pensions bill in whatever way possible. It's the only way.

That people accepted modest salaries over their career to benefit from a decent pension scheme?
    According to the Irish Times 2 years ago, Gardai earn on average, about €1,300 a week. You think that is modest, and a Garda retiring at 60 with a €102,000 lump sum and €34,000 pension would have their pot valued at €1.8 million, including the spouse’s benefit is modest?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

How about putting it to the unions that they can have a pay cut or keep the current rates and sack the worst 5% of unverified sick leave takers.

purifol0 wrote: »
    I dont need a chart for this one lads

The way the country gets income tax:

Private sector>Exchequer>Public sector

Note its not the other way around.

Every public sector worker is another cost to the country's balance sheet that the private sector worker is hit for, no matter how much "tax" is written on their (PubSec) payslip.

I get that.
    But to make the suggestion that taxes don't apply to the public sector is totally disingenuous.
    And to be totally frank about it, increasing taxes across the board saves the state money on each and every public sector worker it employs on top of whatever pay cuts the state imposes on the private sector worker. So while you can say that the moment to run the state generally comes from economic activity and private sector taxes among other things, the taxation of public sector workers is a saving for the state on the cost of running the state.

My issue, is the implication that public sector workers don't get effected by tax cuts - which was the very obvious implication that our friend with a masters in economics was making.

Just waiting till independent news and media get stuck into the public service. They love giving the PS a good kicking.

• Advertisement

According to the Irish Times 2 years ago, Gardai earn on average, about €1,300 a week. You think that is modest, and a Garda retiring at 60 with a €102,000 lump sum and €34,000 pension would have their pot valued at €1.8 million, including the spouse’s benefit is modest?

Gardaí are required to perform 30 years' service before they can retire, so many will do so well before 60. My father retired at 52 after 34 years.

But to make the suggestion that taxes don't apply to the public sector is totally disingenuous.

I agree. Only net cost should really be considered. So say we pay €20bn in wages and get €5bn back in tax, the actual cost should be put at €15bn. Bearing in mind of course that if the same metric is applied to the private sector there won't be a net cost, only net gain.

sabat wrote: »
    How about putting it to the unions that they can have a pay cut or keep the current rates and sack the worst 5% of unverified sick leave takers.

Interestingly, when you google it, the number of sick days taken by Ireland's public servants is almost twice that taken by workers in the private sector according to new figures. Public servants average 8.5 sick days each year compared to 4.5 days in the private sector according to figures released by the Department of Public Expenditure.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Gardaí are required to perform 30 years' service before they can retire, so many will do so well before 60. My father retired at 52 after 34 years.

Wow. Meanwhile the state pension age for the private sector worker is 67!

Fair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I agree,
    time to slash 25% off the public sector pay and pensions bill in whatever way possible. It's the only way.

As PS pay for most staff has not recovered to the 2008 levels, you suggestion is utterly unrealistic.

You will be happy to hear that the premium that the PS used to earn over the private sector has been reduced, thanks to the paycuts and slow pay restoration.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/rp/rp-eappp/eappp20152018/mainresults/

Key Findings (2015-2018)
    The trend shows that the pay differential between the public and private sector is steadily declining in the period 2015 to 2018.

The scale of the pay differential in the public sector was higher for females than for males with the difference in pay differential between females and males in the public sector ranging from 12.9% to 17.3%.

When comparing the public and private sector over the period 2015-2018, the pay differential for male employees in the public sector ranged from a premium of 1.0% to a discount of -10.8% depending on the specification used.

(Note: PS men earn from 1% more, to 10.8% less than private sector equivalents)

The corresponding differential for females showed that female workers in the public sector had a differential ranging from 3.3% to 15.8% depending on the model applied when compared to their counterparts in the private sector.

Interestingly, when you google it, the number pf sick days taken by Ireland's public servants is almost twice that taken by workers in the private sector according to new figures. Public servants average 8.5 sick days each year compared to 4.5 days in the private sector according to figures released by the Department of Public Expenditure.

Look,
    there is an issue with sick pay in the public sector - some genuinely take the piss and this really skews the figures, that has been tightened up on however in the past decade, but still not enough probably.

But then there are genuinely jobs in the public sector where you are more likely to get sick or where if you are sick you HAVE to stay out of work. In these current times you can surely appreciate that.

Geuze wrote: »
    As PS pay for most staff has not recovered to the 2008 levels, you suggestion is utterly unrealistic.

You will be happy to hear that the premium that the PS used to earn over the private sector has been reduced, thanks to the paycuts and slow pay restoration.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/rp/rp-eappp/eappp20152018/mainresults/

Key Findings (2015-2018)
    The trend shows that the pay differential between the public and private sector is steadily declining in the period 2015 to 2018.

The scale of the pay differential in the public sector was higher for females than for males with the difference in pay differential between females and males in the public sector ranging from 12.9% to 17.3%.

When comparing the public and private sector over the period 2015-2018, the pay differential for male employees in the public sector ranged from a premium of 1.0% to a discount of -10.8% depending on the specification used.

(Note: PS men earn from 1% more, to 10.8% less than private sector equivalents)

The corresponding differential for females showed that female workers in the public sector had a differential ranging from 3.3% to 15.8% depending on the model applied when compared to their counterparts in the private sector.
    No Geuze, it is totally realistic.
    There's absolutely no negatives at all for the country in cutting all public sector wages by 25%. It will hardly be noticed........

I agree,

Oh, just because I objectively note an increase in my salary when it happens doesn't mean I am advocating widespread cuts.

All I've said is that at a minimum the 2% on October is surely gone.

Please God we can survive with one big borrow this year and no adjustments are needed next year but the signs of a quick recovery aren't great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

So a complete solo run by John Moran then?

• Advertisement

Look,
    there is an issue with sick pay in the public sector - some genuinely take the piss and this really skews the figures, that has been tightened up on however in the past decade, but still not enough probably.

But then there are genuinely jobs in the public sector where you are more likely to get sick or where if you are sick you HAVE to stay out of work. In these current times you can surely appreciate that.

I'll think you'll find the main reason for so much sick leave in the public sector is the fact there is the fact you get sick pay itself (also zero consequences of abusing it). Another luxury most private sector employees dont have.

Advertisement