Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public service pay cut?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭FluffPiece

Dav010 wrote: »
    Have any libraries reopened to the public?

Since the start of the pandemic? Yes they re-opened and tried to offer alternative ways of business incorpating book drops / pushing online services etc.

With level 5 I believe they are mostly closed to the public but so are most public service buildings where you need an appointment now for most things?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,586 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Why do you want to know?

The poster doesn’t appreciate the assumption, without explanation of why, the assumption is a fair one.

The poster doesn’t appreciate the assumption, without explanation of why, the assumption is a fair one.

Nah, thats like sitting in a pile of ****e and declaring anyone who wont come into it to wrestle you loses the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

You made that choice, nobody made that for you, a lot of people in the private sector have travel/time costs, but don’t have the job stability/security, so don’t whinge about how much you take home.

Just the same as you made the choice to work in the Private Sector, but yet you feel that it is perfectly ok for you to whinge??

Public Sector jobs advertised all the time, if its such a cushy number why haven't you applied?

Genuinely confused here, there is a perfectly attainable cash cow where you don't really have to do any work but you have consciously made a choice to stay in a much worse off private sector job?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Nah, thats like sitting in a pile of ****e and declaring anyone who wont come into it to wrestle you loses the fight.

:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Eloquently put, but for the less defence minded of us, it is just a request to qualify why the poster was unhappy about the assumptions being made, easily answered by the poster informing us of what he/she does when the library is closed.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Just the same as you made the choice to work in the Private Sector, but yet you feel that it is perfectly ok for you to whinge??

Public Sector jobs advertised all the time, if its such a cushy number why haven't you applied?

Genuinely confused here, there is a perfectly attainable cash cow where you don't really have to do any work but you have consciously made a choice to stay in a much worse off public sector job?

I’m not whinging about my job, I make more, and enjoy my work more, by being self employed.

I’m not whinging about my job, I make more, and enjoy my work more, by being self employed.

But its ok for you to whinge about other peoples jobs? Jobs that you don't want because you have a better one?

Very odd.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    But its ok for you to whinge about other peoples jobs? Jobs that you don't want because you have a better one?

Very odd.

Totally. When I hear PSs going on about pay “restorations” instead of a pay rise, whinging about how small their increases are etc, all the while knowing that they have job security unheard of in the private sector, it really is stomach churning.

Arah i feel the same about a lot of things in the private sector, which is an entity as a whole that does untold harm with its greed and rapaciousness and which seems never to have to answer for itself as a unified sector the way ppl think the public sector should

But i dont let it churn my guts or anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Treppen

Totally. When I hear PSs going on about pay “restorations” instead of a pay rise, whinging about how small their increases are etc, all the while knowing that they have job security unheard of in the private sector, it really is stomach churning.

Ya job security is a horrible notion alright.

Imagine, someone feeling secure in a job?

Arah i feel the same about a lot of things in the private sector, which is an entity as a whole that does untold harm with its greed and rapaciousness and which seems never to have to answer for itself as a unified sector the way ppl think the public sector should

Yip, I respect your opinion. But it’s that greed of course that drives commerce, without it, where would private sector jobs come from? We can’t all be PS’s you know.

Exactly.

The failure to recognise that one can't exist without the other is curious.

General sweeping statements directed at an entire sector are generally misinformed from my experience.

Treppen wrote: »
    Ya job security is a horrible notion alright.

Imagine, someone feeling secure in a job?

Job security is fantastic, can you think of a private sector employee who enjoys equal job security to a PS? Surely that security in itself has a value that private sector workers don’t enjoy.

The horrible notion is that those who have it, don’t seem to appreciate its value.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    McWilliams is again right, there's no need for cuts post covid, cutting is in fact counter initiative, it's one of the reasons why our health system has been struggling with covid

Government strategy of division in the public sector is working, it's slowly tearing itself apart

Unions need to focus that there is far more to working and employment than just pay scales alone.
    The pay, pay, pay scales has been the Unions' themselves, comfortable, entree into government for too long.

Job security is fantastic, can you think of a private sector employee who enjoys equal job security to a PS? Surely that security in itself has a value that private sector workers don’t enjoy.

The horrible notion is that those who have it, don’t seem to appreciate its value.

I am glad you admit it is a notion, because I am not aware of anyone who doesn't recognise it as the single most important factor of a Public Sector job.

Again i agree with some of this too

I dont think PS workers should be unaware of their privileges in hard times when they demand x, y and z in good times.

And I think that the private sector cohort should have the same awareness, if you get me.

Id also differentiate the low paid from the wealthy interests in the latter, which is imo the real divide but we're veering off topic now i admit

Again i agree with some of this too

I dont think PS workers should be unaware of their privileges in hard times when they demand x, y and z in good times.

And I think that the private sector cohort should have the same awareness, if you get me.

Id also differentiate the low paid from the wealthy interests in the latter, which is imo the real divide but we're veering off topic now i admit

I have no issue with you criticising the private sector, fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I'm looking forward to FFG announcing these paycuts.

I have no issue with you criticising the private sector, fire away.

The problem there is its not a 'fair fight' in terms of comparing sectors, one is transparent with clear payscales and benefits which are there for all to scrutinise, this is not the case with the other, nor could it ever be to be fair.

We are all part of the 'workforce' I genuinely don't understand the need to pit one against the other, there are far more reprehensible cohorts in society that it would make much more sense to vent ones ire towards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

It's the only thing of value for any low-mid ranking post 2011 entrant to a public sector job. We still have two tier pay system, will retire basically with whatever state pension exists + lump sum you have no choice in whether it's taken out of wages every pay cheque. No Flexi time for a year now since covid (my job hasn't changed, still required in person every day so working for free 7 hours a week on average for over a year now) and severely restricted annual leave to boot.

No health insurance, Christmas bonus or generous discounts dependent on sector you work in (home/car insurance for example) or any other perks like private sector.

If you want people to continue to provide critical services hail rain or shine are you begrudging us job security now? or should we just be more thankful for it?

Bloody hell.

It's the only thing of value for any low-mid ranking post 2011 entrant to a public sector job. We still have two tier pay system, will retire basically with whatever state pension exists + lump sum you have no choice in whether it's taken out of wages every pay cheque. No Flexi time for a year now since covid (my job hasn't changed, still required in person every day so working for free 7 hours a week on average for over a year now) and severely restricted annual leave to boot.

No health insurance, Christmas bonus or generous discounts dependent on sector you work in (home/car insurance for example) or any other perks like private sector.

If you want people to continue to provide critical services hail rain or shine are you begrudging us job security now? or should we just be more thankful for it?

Bloody hell.

Do many private sector jobs come with health insurance, cheaper house/car insurance and bonuses?

In the private sector there is no obligation beyond AL of 20 days pa with unpaid sick leave, how does that compare to your job?

Would you swop a pay increase for that job security?

FluffPiece wrote: »
    Yes they re-opened and

With level 5 I believe they are mostly closed

Libraries have been closed for a full year now. Librarians (to quote just as an example of public sector pay):
    City Librarian ... to 88,000k per annum
    Grade 7 Librarian ... to 66,000k per annum
    Grade 6 Librarian ... to 59,000k per annum
    Grade 5 Librarian ... to 52,000 per annum
    Grade 4-46k, Grade 3-40k.

The above are mostly well above E1,000.00 per week.
    No Library whatsoever that I know has been open in the past year.

btw in the past, I have had issues with library staff;- and who very simply never, ever, reply; and rely on "the Council" to direct everything.

Fann Linn wrote: »

In February, 2021 the Government gave the Public Sector:- A pay increase of 3% over 3 years.
    SIPTU said that they are v.v.happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Fann Linn wrote: »

Not going to happen for you so get over it.

Libraries have been closed for a full year now. Librarians (to quote just as an example of public sector pay):

btw in the past, I have had issues with library staff;- and who very simply never, ever, reply; and rely on "the Council" to direct everything.

Do you know the difference between a clerical officer grade librarian starting at the bottom of that scale- which you have omitted, by the way- and the duties of a county librarian?

I mean either you dont and honestly who has the time to discuss this stuff with that level of disinterest

Or you do and you decided to go ahead with that post anyway and honestly who has the time to discuss this stuff with that level of dishonesty

Do many private sector jobs come with health insurance, cheaper house/car insurance and bonuses?

In the private sector there is no obligation beyond AL of 20 days pa with unpaid sick leave, how does that compare to your job?

Would you swop a pay increase for that job security?

Private sector employed myself, just moved to the company that I'm currently with last August.

I get 30 days annual leave exclusive of bank holidays, plus six personal days on top. Annual leave will increase to 33 days after my first twelve months and max out at 45 after five years, personal days increase to 9 after the twelve months and max out currently at 12 after two years, but you can get more at your manager wants to give you some as a reward.
    I received my 7% annual pay rise last week and am getting a bonus of 10% of my gross salary next week. We normally have bonus awards twice in the year so due a 5% bonus in September.

We get company funded health and life insurance Six months paid sick leave if needed.

I also refuse as I have in any job I've had to work outside my contracted hours without paid overtime or time in lieu agreed before hand by e-mail.

All without the whinging of people who couldn't get a ps job, or have a weird hatred of ps workers that really raised it's head with Thatcher and Ronnie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Most libraries have been open in the last year. They’re all open online too.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Private sector employed myself, just moved to the company that I'm currently with last August.

I get 30 days annual leave exclusive of bank holidays, plus six personal days on top. Annual leave will increase to 33 days after my first twelve months and max out at 45 after five years, personal days increase to 9 after the twelve months and max out currently at 12 after two years, but you can get more at your manager wants to give you some as a reward.
    I received my 7% annual pay rise last week and am getting a bonus of 10% of my gross salary next week. We normally have bonus awards twice in the year so due a 5% bonus in September.

We get company funded health and life insurance Six months paid sick leave if needed.

I also refuse as I have in any job I've had to work outside my contracted hours without paid overtime or time in lieu agreed before hand by e-mail.

All without the whinging of people who couldn't get a ps job, or have a weird hatred of ps workers that really raised it's head with Thatcher and Ronnie.

Genuine thanks for this

Theres plenty wrong with the public service but the level of dishonesty in the way people talk about public vs private makes it an impossible ask to discuss it reasonably and i think there's great credit in people on either side willing to admit the good and bad each way without it becoming diatribe

• Advertisement

Genuine thanks for this

Theres plenty wrong with the public service but the level of dishonesty in the way people talk about public vs private makes it an impossible ask to discuss it reasonably and i think there's great credit in people on either side willing to admit the good and bad each way without it becoming diatribe

Well my missus works for the PS and like most people that I know in the different branches of it have been working throughout the current covid pandemic, she's actually been working the whole weekend including today.

How I know that the library staff have been working, while the buildings are closed is that one of them was redeployed to my missus department, but some people who have a habit of leaving out half the story on stuff they discus know better apparently.

There's a lot of dishonesty posted by some on here about the ps/cs. But then again some of those that post it, aren't honest when discussing other topics, so why expect honest posting about about this one from them.

Advertisement