Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public service pay cut?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Libraries have been closed for a full year now. Librarians (to quote just as an example of public sector pay):
    City Librarian ... to 88,000k per annum
    Grade 7 Librarian ... to 66,000k per annum
    Grade 6 Librarian ... to 59,000k per annum
    Grade 5 Librarian ... to 52,000 per annum
    Grade 4-46k, Grade 3-40k.

The above are mostly well above E1,000.00 per week.
    No Library whatsoever that I know has been open in the past year.

btw in the past, I have had issues with library staff;- and who very simply never, ever, reply; and rely on "the Council" to direct everything.

Almost all of the staff that you've dealt with have been library assistants at Clerical Officer level. There is one librarian assigned to run each larger library, with a part time librarian splitting time between smaller branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,586 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Private sector employed myself, just moved to the company that I'm currently with last August.

I get 30 days annual leave exclusive of bank holidays, plus six personal days on top. Annual leave will increase to 33 days after my first twelve months and max out at 45 after five years, personal days increase to 9 after the twelve months and max out currently at 12 after two years, but you can get more at your manager wants to give you some as a reward.
    I received my 7% annual pay rise last week and am getting a bonus of 10% of my gross salary next week. We normally have bonus awards twice in the year so due a 5% bonus in September.

We get company funded health and life insurance Six months paid sick leave if needed.

I also refuse as I have in any job I've had to work outside my contracted hours without paid overtime or time in lieu agreed before hand by e-mail.

All without the whinging of people who couldn't get a ps job, or have a weird hatred of ps workers that really raised it's head with Thatcher and Ronnie.

Would you say this reflects a typical private sector job? That is an incredible package most employers are not in a position to offer, multinational no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

Almost all of the staff that you've dealt with have been library assistants at Clerical Officer level. There is one librarian assigned to run each larger library, with a part time librarian splitting time between smaller branches.

no.no. definitely Grade 6 or 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭FluffPiece

Libraries have been closed for a full year now. Librarians (to quote just as an example of public sector pay):

btw in the past, I have had issues with library staff;- and who very simply never, ever, reply; and rely on "the Council" to direct everything.

Oh dear, where to start?

Do we start that the libraries have indeed been open at various stages throughout the last year? Level 5 has caused temporary closures much like a lot of places, but they have been open to the public when appropriate.

Most libraries are staffed in the main by library assistants, which would be at the clerical officer scale. There will be others such as branch librarians / senior library assistants, but when you walk into a library when it is open, you're as likely to run into a library assistant rather than a branch librarian. I sincerely doubt if you checked their payslip you'd see 1k a week gross?

I've had issues with private sector staff before, can I blame all private sector staff with the same brush as a result?

Dav010 wrote: »
    Would you say this reflects a typical private sector job? That is an incredible package most employers are not in a position to offer.

It's quite a common package for the industry that I work in I'd say, some companies would offer more, some less. I get any courses and exam fees paid for in full regardless of cost, while a company that a mate works for the company pays three quarters of the course fees and half the exam fees.

I've mates in other industries such as electronic engineering, accountancy, insurance and banking who would have similar or better especially in terms of pay and bonuses for the latter three.

My brother who works for a company that installs and maintains car washers even gets similar in terms of bonus and holidays, with a company van for personal use. While he doesn't do any, his work mates use the company vans for nixers out of hours and on their days off.
    His company funded pension and health insurance wouldn't be as good as mine, but there a lot better than the ones my missus gets working for a county council, and he doesn't have to assist the AGS on drug raids where there is the potential for guard dogs to be present.

• Advertisement

no.no. definitely Grade 6 or 7.

They possibly bring out the manager to deal with the Karens.

They possibly bring out the manager to deal with the Karens.

and the manager refers them to the council instead of dealing with their bull**** like what they post online...

FluffPiece wrote: »
    and the manager refers them to the council instead of dealing with their bull**** like what they post online...

Do libraries have a conspiracy theories section?

It’s next to Fiction.

You should check out the super library that is only staffed by City / County Librarians at the top of their scale and noone else. That has the BEST CT section. Pretty hard to get access tho...

• Advertisement

FluffPiece wrote: »
    You should check out the super library that is only staffed by City / County Librarians at the top of their scale and noone else. That has the BEST CT section. Pretty hard to get access tho...

That the one in the Ilac centre?

Used to love that one, great place to study between lunch hours and shifts back when I worked retail security and door work.

Mate of mine had an interview February last year in the city centre just before covid hit and was supposed to bring a copy of his C.V. and completed application form to it.
    He ended up forgetting them on the day and was trying to find a place near by that would do printing from email.
    Snap Printing just beside Jervis street wouldn't do a copy because they only do bulk jobs by appointment or some such.
    Told him to try the library in the ilac as they used to do photocopies and printing from what I could remember.
    When he got there he was told that the service was only for members, any library would have done, but when he explained what it was for the staff member signed onto the system for them.

Really helpful of them I thought and they refused the tenner that my mate offered on top of the printing costs, so he brought them in a box of chocolates after the interview as a way of saying thanks.

It’s next to Fiction.

Might explain why I haven't found it, prefer history, science and woodworking.

Might explain why I haven't found it, prefer history, science and woodworking.

Sounds dull.

Woodworking can be a bore alright

Stop you'll have me in knots.

Only with the brace and bit.

Sounds dull.

Ah helps keep the mind sharp, get enough fiction online.

Ah helps keep the mind sharp, get enough fiction online.

Don’t we all.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,078 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Is it the Dept. of Transport that pay the ESB.

What?!?
    'they can literally put the lights out' - no, they can't -that's just probably Bertie Ahern greasily exhorting them in their state-agreed secrecy

You must be too young to remember the 80s/90s.
    , i.e. when it comes to vetting maybe Private Surveillance companies - the parent companies of these are in U.S., where F.F. do business.

And also, do they vet Security Companies in regard to Sensors, definitely used by Irish Water in issuing water.

The ESB are very, very, close to being very extremely sinister.

Gibberish.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

What?!?

Gibberish.

Well who pays them? The stealth by which they operate is almost disturbing. Local offices of ESB seem to have disappeared in early 2000's. Their main office is in East Wall Road but I doubt anyone is allowed go in. At one time they were contracted to do works in Spain. Is that still an option?

They have to know about water metering and the sensors that may rely on an maybe ever-so-small electrical pulse, embedded in the Diehl and Itron water-meters. Who gives Licences to Irish Water to use these, the ESB?

• Advertisement

What the actual hell are you on about tho

Well who pays them? The stealth by which they operate is almost disturbing. Local offices of ESB seem to have disappeared in early 2000's. Their main office is in East Wall Road but I doubt anyone is allowed go in. At one time they were contracted to do works in Spain. Is that still an option?

They have to know about water metering and the sensors that may rely on an maybe ever-so-small electrical pulse, embedded in the Diehl and Itron water-meters. Who gives Licences to Irish Water to use these, the ESB?

You may have noticed that lots of 'local offices' have dissapeared - banks, insurance companies, utilities and more - as the Internet enabled them to do their business online instead.

ESB International does consultancy work all over the world and brings in considerable profit to ESB and to Ireland.

As for the sensors, if they are radio devices then ComReg would be the licencing authority, nothing to do with the ESB. If you did a little bit of basic research on these issues that seem to concern you greatly, you'd have worked that out.

@AndrewJ.Renko. What is the bet that ComReg find rules and laws to with-hold information. anyhow.

btw, 'what the hell are you on about tho'.. I can assure you that in the u.s., neighbour v neighbour in midrange areas, where display of all issue by one, by water sensors, can force others to sell; is not spoken of - but is a weapon on some.
    People there cannot go to court as it would cost the actual house.
    I even spoke to a council there but they said nothing, [but intentlylistened]; litigation is their bete-noire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

@AndrewJ.Renko. What is the bet that ComReg find rules and laws to with-hold information. anyhow.

btw, 'what the hell are you on about tho'.. I can assure you that in the u.s., neighbour v neighbour in midrange areas, where display of all issue by one, by water sensors, can force others to sell; is not spoken of - but is a weapon on some.
    I even spoke to a council there but they said nothing, [but intentlylistened]; litigation is their bete-noire.

:D:D:D

I really hope you are taking the piss!

@pogue. Big Brother IS watchin' yaaa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

What stealth, I've been in there on tours with the school. They are always very active in recruiting from disadvantaged areas and also have a rake of college students on placement. Fairly rubbish secret cabal they have going.

Comparative wages is a separate issue, and actually I've no issue with them being paid well at all. Nimble business model in their research depts and the work on the ground is tough and in all weather. Only being discussed as a parallel not to demean the company or the work.

Fair play to them getting laptops for disadvantaged kids during lockdown too, refurbs and distribution done on the company dime. I didn't see a lot of multinationals lining up.

There is certainly still a semi state mentality and theres good and bad to that but more good of well managed.

I've no idea, but FOI legislation and parliamentary questions are your friends here.

I've no idea what this means.

What stealth, I've been in there on tours with the school.

Comparative wages is a separate issue, and actually I've no issue with them being paid well at all. Nimble business model in their research depts and the work on the ground is tough and in all weather.

There is certainly still a semi state mentality and theres good and bad to that but more good of well managed.

Yeah. I do kinda' agree with you. ESB are dependable, and I hope always are part of the state. Somehow it must be difficult for them being part-state and also contracts works.
    I hope the state stakes them in, important employees are far more nation-concerned and dependable and have the [irish] magnanimity.

But the contracts part and where they simply must deal with the International private companies - out for profit; this could be where bad or ill deals are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

All local authority libraries in my county & neighbouring counties have been open at some stage over the past 12 months. My father has been using their book delivery service in his area since lockdowns began. I presume it is the library staff that facilitate this.

Am curious, what issues (plural, I note) have you had with library staff in the past? Was it just one staff member or multiple staff members?

• Advertisement

I've no idea what this means.

You're not alone and I include the op when saying that.

Advertisement