Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plants to modernise garden

Options
  • 14-05-2020 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

My garden is pretty much just grass. Last year I planted 3 lavender plants of which one unfortunately looks to have died. I like the modern gardens - lavender, buxus hedges. Any suggestions for sone nice easy to grow plants which are modern, look nice and will add to the garden.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

Not unusual to find a lavender to not make it through the winter as they don't really like it when it is damp and cold. A hard pruning in late august when they are passed the best of their flowering helps them a bit but I don't think my garden is warm enough or well drained enough to keep a hedge of them growing. Lambs' ear plant (Stachys byzantina)and curry plant (Helichrysum italicum) are similar but I find are a bit tougher. Box hedges are said to be prone to a blight disease recently so I have avoided these as well but an alternative I do find grows OK is Lonicera nitida Baggensons Gold. One of the better shrubs for all year colour as well are the pittosporum with a number of varieties with different leaf colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭whodafunk

I actually spotted the type of look/plants I am after. Can anybody name any/all of these plants please? Also are they just spring/summer flowering?

Thank you

Photo attached

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

whodafunk wrote: »
    I actually spotted the type of look/plants I am after. Can anybody name any/all of these plants please? Also are they just spring/summer flowering?

Thank you

Are they osteospermum (African daisy) varieties?

If so I have found they are nice for the summer they are planted but have not lasted through the winter in my own garden.

Can somebody name these plants please? The purple ones. Thanks

• Advertisement

And the tall ones here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

The tall purple ones are alliums.

whodafunk wrote: »
    And the tall ones here

The orangey ones are Kniphofia, Red hot Poker.

Ask away in the ID Megathread, everything gets answered there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Advertisement