Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay as you go sim (for data)

Options
  • 14-05-2020 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

I've just bought a sim-free smart phone for my mother purely for video calls (whatsapp or viber).
    What would be the best pay as you go sim to load with credit that doesnt expire?
    She wont use much data other than whatever is used for video calling. Doubt the phone will be used to make calls or texts either.
    I dont live in ireland so not up to speed on decent providers or plans etc.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Assume she doesn't have home broadband and the phone will be her only internet access?

Check out how much data is consumed with calling apps. Vodafone, 3 and Tesco have 1GB add ons for 5e per 4 weeks. Vodafone and Tesco can be topped up by 5e online if you want to look after that for her.

IMO don't top up by any more than will be used for the add on as credit might get consumed by some other usage.

Vodafone also have free webtext if she wants to send texts for free to any number.

The credit expiry isn't really relevant if add one are bought every month and there isn't any decent value pay as you use plans for data...eg Vodafone charge 19c per MB which is ridiculously high compared to 1GB for 5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭wally79

I have no experience using them so not sure how good data is but gomo deal sounds very good

€12.99 a month for life
    all calls, text, data covered

https://gomo.ie/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2PP1BRCiARIsAEqv-pSx6lVRYrY0PgzQifmMIs7jHAuXm9SuXoLt2pLD8AOQComdNy72FBgaAnwhEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Assume she doesn't have home broadband and the phone will be her only internet access?

Check out how much data is consumed with calling apps. Vodafone, 3 and Tesco have 1GB add ons for 5e per 4 weeks. Vodafone and Tesco can be topped up by 5e online if you want to look after that for her.

IMO don't top up by any more than will be used for the add on as credit might get consumed by some other usage.

Vodafone also have free webtext if she wants to send texts for free to any number.

The credit expiry isn't really relevant if add one are bought every month and there isn't any decent value pay as you use plans for data...eg Vodafone charge 19c per MB which is ridiculously high compared to 1GB for 5e.

Correct, no broadband this will be her only internet access.

I was hoping for a decent pay as you use data package rather than signing up to a monthly cost, but if theres no decent ones available...

She is on a pay as you use sim now. No data, just some minutes and texts. She doesn't top it up very often and i suppose i was hoping to do sonething similar here. I might try see if she would switch over phones and get rid of the other one.

Thank you both for your reply

Advertisement