Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB

Options
  • 14-05-2020 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hiya,

Is it just me or is it impossible to listen to RTE Gold on DAB radio while driving a car in Dublin? All DAB stations go to mute every few minutes.

Comments

RnR wrote: »
    Hiya,

Is it just me or is it impossible to listen to RTE Gold on DAB radio while driving a car in Dublin? All DAB stations go to mute every few minutes.

DAB doesn't have nearly the same coverage as FM and it's more line of sight and with digital it's all or nothing, you either have good signal and audio or nothing.

RTE never updated DAB or the Network it's still really a trial that RTE are supposed to be shutting down.

They never updated to a modern compression standard either and were using MP2 would you believe it ?

They advertised "better than FM" "don't have to tune the radio" but you don't have to tune a modern FM radio these days or at least not in some cars, my car displays the stations it sees and that's it.

No other commercial companies showed an interest in DAB either from what I understand and the whole thing offered nothing more to the public for the investment required.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Malmsteen

DAB in this country is a joke, go to any European country and there are thousands of Commercial and State Radio stations to chose from...Problem here is no investment and then RTE controlling where the technology went...sorry Rant over.

State broadcasters might have been more interested but I don’t thing very few commercial companies are which is why it failed nothing to do with RTE really.

DAB is also unnecessary as it doesn’t provide even a tiny fraction of the benefit digital tv does. FM does the job and people don’t have to go out and buy new radios.

Last time I was in Germany DAB was rubbish poor signal coverage switch over to fm signal perfect.

One reason dab failed in was it Norway? They turned off all state fm broadcasts and lost a tonne of listeners.

This Digital is best is just a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Malmsteen wrote: »
    DAB in this country is a joke, go to any European country and there are thousands of Commercial and State Radio stations to chose from...Problem here is no investment and then RTE controlling where the technology went...sorry Rant over.

Any country? How about France, Spain and Greece?

https://www.worlddab.org/countries/austria

• Advertisement

They really are hell bent on forcing Digital in the U.K and pushing it as being something better than analogue radio or glorifying increasing numbers of digital listeners.

Am I missing something ? what's going on ? lol

Beats me MadLad but the amount of LW/MW transmitters that are closing down in the Uk is actually quite scary everything is going Digital which I think personally is a bad thing..

The inly thing I can think of is that the Radio companies think that being on a digital platform will increase listener numbers but quality of content is where they need to focus their efforts, the best platform in the world is useless without proper entertaining content.

People are turning away from traditional broadcasters, one of the big issues I have with Irish radio is the constant negativity, covid talk, politics, talk, news very 30 mins, hearing the same crap so much is a big turn off, continuous and one sided anti trump rhetoric, continuous U.S politics in general, they need to start talking about the Chinese president if they think Trump is bad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They really are hell bent on forcing Digital in the U.K and pushing it as being something better than analogue radio or glorifying increasing numbers of digital listeners.

Am I missing something ? what's going on ? lol
    It's not even like they are freeing up spectrum to sell off to the mobile phone companies.

Given the political climate it wouldn't surprise me that it's an attack on that section of the media.

Back to the original problem, any half decent DAB car radio is bound to have bluetooth and chances are you already have a phone with a data plan and a browser that can get to http://gold.rte.ie/

I would have said the player but the comments suggest it's SNAFU.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thisisaim.rteradio&hl=en_IE

It's not even like they are freeing up spectrum to sell off to the mobile phone companies.

Given the political climate it wouldn't surprise me that it's an attack on that section of the media.

Back to the original problem, any half decent DAB car radio is bound to have bluetooth and chances are you already have a phone with a data plan and a browser that can get to http://gold.rte.ie/

I would have said the player but the comments suggest it's SNAFU.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thisisaim.rteradio&hl=en_IE

One of my biggest issues with DAB in Ireland is the poor sound quality, they use MP2 compression invented in 1986 and they try to sell DAB as the great modern Digital radio, makes me laugh.

The app is the same, gold is in poor quality and most if not all of RTEs online streams, so this proves RTE are hell bent on selling Digital as an attraction to how wonderful they are instead of providing the real benefit of Digital Radio and that is high quality streams. But as I said Earlier, if they had the best streaming quality I probably wouldn't listen to them much because they don't have the content and no doubt when I turn on RTE R 1 I will get depressed and that't actually no joke.

• Advertisement
Advertisement