Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I get a solicitor or deal directly with the other drivers insurance?

Options
  • 14-05-2020 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was in accident earlier in the year, the other party was at fault and I contacted their insurance and followed their process. I went to my GP to have injuries assessed

Since the lockdown nothing progressed.

I have been contacted by the other drivers insurance recently,they have admitted they are liable (without prejudice) and are looking for estimates to have my car fixed and for report regarding my injuries.

To be fair they have been fairly informative and have given me 3 options,deal with them directly,get a solicitor or go through the injuries board.

I am happy to deal with them directly however when I asked my doctor for a report they said they usually deal with solicitors and would charge me a big figure to get the report.

The other drivers insurance has said they are happy to obtain the report themselves and need my PPS,any days I missed of work etc.

Should I obtain a solicitor seeing even though they are willing to do the leg work themselves? I know legal representatives may prolong this matter to rack up a bill and the insurance want to get out of paying as little as they can but as the insurance are just willing to get this over with I'm happy to let them.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

sexmag wrote: »
    Hi,

I was in accident earlier in the year, the other party was at fault and I contacted their insurance and followed their process. I went to my GP to have injuries assessed

Since the lockdown nothing progressed.

I have been contacted by the other drivers insurance recently,they have admitted they are liable (without prejudice) and are looking for estimates to have my car fixed and for report regarding my injuries.

To be fair they have been fairly informative and have given me 3 options,deal with them directly,get a solicitor or go through the injuries board.

I am happy to deal with them directly however when I asked my doctor for a report they said they usually deal with solicitors and would charge me a big figure to get the report.

The other drivers insurance has said they are happy to obtain the report themselves and need my PPS,any days I missed of work etc.

Should I obtain a solicitor seeing even though they are willing to do the leg work themselves? I know legal representatives may prolong this matter to rack up a bill and the insurance want to get out of paying as little as they can but as the insurance are just willing to get this over with I'm happy to let them.

Any thoughts?

Short answer is deal with them directly, if they make you an offer for injury and your not happy with it, you don't have to accept and you can go to a solicitor then if needs be.

To assess your injury for a rough estimate google book of quantum piab.

Doctors report should only be around 280, you have to pay this if you go through a solicitor as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

spodoinkle wrote: »
    Short answer is real with them directly, if they make you an offer for injury and your not happy with it, you don't have to accept and you can go to a solicitor then if needs be.

To assess your injury for a rough estimate google book of quantum piab.

Thank you for your advice. I will have a look at that.

Would you think there would be any issues for them obtaining my medical report from my GP if I give permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Above advice is sound. Liability is admitted and that is the biggest hurdle. If there was any dispute, a solicitor would be the best option. If your injury is complex with future implications, make sure you get proper medical advice. If it is standard, wait and see what you are offered. Obviously, don't rush in and accept the first offer, unless you are pleasantly surprised. Make sure your settlement includes all costs

Advertisement