Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restore travel (and sanity) within Ireland

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Europe opening up borders and us living on an island cant go more than 5km away crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Thought the 5km applied to walking and excercise?
    I have to drive more than that to get to a shop.
    I think the laws were passed in a hurry and I'll certainly abide by the spirit of them,but have no problem dropping shopping to an elderly friend 20km away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

My wife's parents live an hour away. She has been struggling as she is very close to them. Last time she saw them was March. Saturday gone I told her we were going. She was concerned about the Garda, I put anti inflammatory medication in a bag. I said your 'Dad was complaining of a sore neck'. He also said he and my MIL are too afraid to leave the house. So we made an essential trip to help a family member.
    No one lost their life as we travelled by car didn't stop, sat 6 ft apart in my PIL's garden drinking a coffee after handing over the medication. Stop by a Garda on my way home, asked the purpose of our trip. Told the Garda we were bringing medication to my FIL. No issue.
    PTD.

Surely if the parents are over 70 they are cocooning so she would be entitled to deliver food and any medication they might require.
    She could visit then, and still abide by the law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

joe40 wrote: »
    Surely if the parents are over 70 they are cocooning so she would be entitled to deliver food and any medication they might require.
    She could visit then, and still abide by the law

You would think so, but I have encountered a few Garda who have made up their own restrictions. My son is a Garda and I've had to correct him as well. He thought up till recently the over 70's were legally required to stay in the home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭VonLuck

My wife's parents live an hour away. She has been struggling as she is very close to them. Last time she saw them was March. Saturday gone I told her we were going. She was concerned about the Garda, I put anti inflammatory medication in a bag. I said your 'Dad was complaining of a sore neck'. He also said he and my MIL are too afraid to leave the house. So we made an essential trip to help a family member.
    No one lost their life as we travelled by car didn't stop, sat 6 ft apart in my PIL's garden drinking a coffee after handing over the medication. Stop by a Garda on my way home, asked the purpose of our trip. Told the Garda we were bringing medication to my FIL. No issue.
    PTD.

I can understand it's tough for people, but what if everyone had the same approach as you? You'd have every Tom, Dick and Harry going to all corners of Ireland, potentially spreading the virus to areas which were previously free of it. That's the whole idea of the travel restriction. The moment the government relax restrictions there will be a free for all and they are trying to delay that for as long as required so that they can get the testing up to scratch.

I also think it's entirely unfair on those obeying the restrictions whilst people flout the rules. A lot of people are trying their hardest and are finding it very difficult being away from family, but they are making the sacrifice, acting selflessly, because they believe they are helping the country as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Living with a nurse on the frontline, I have been wholeheartedly behind the Government to date, but even I am struggling to understand this 5km limit going going to 20km at the end of June.

France has announced travel limits in Green Zones of up to 100km. They may increase this at the 2nd June. Red Zones (mainly north east) remain locked down.

I have not checked other countries but I would have thought in Ireland that a limit which prevents inter-city travel would be adequate e.g. 50-60km.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

VonLuck wrote: »
    I can understand it's tough for people, but what if everyone had the same approach as you? You'd have every Tom, Dick and Harry going to all corners of Ireland, potentially spreading the virus to areas which were previously free of it. That's the whole idea of the travel restriction. The moment the government relax restrictions there will be a free for all and they are trying to delay that for as long as required so that they can get the testing up to scratch.

I also think it's entirely unfair on those obeying the restrictions whilst people flout the rules. A lot of people are trying their hardest and are finding it very difficult being away from family, but they are making the sacrifice, acting selflessly, because they believe they are helping the country as a whole.

How would they be doing that, if it was done with proper social distancing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭VonLuck

robbiezero wrote: »
    How would they be doing that, if it was done with proper social distancing?

Do you think everyone is obeying social distancing rules to the letter of the law? Even a small percentage breaking the 2m restriction could spread the virus.

Are you serious?! No government would stop me visiting parents. Whats wrong with you people?

It’s idiots like you who will prolong the lockdown. Do your parents and fellow citizens a favour and stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Anybody that needs/wants to visit further flung elderly parents having stayed away for months know the dangers and would not be taking decisions to visit lightly.

The same people know how to socially distance going to a shop at this stage, I don't think any of them would be willing to visit vulnerable parents and put them in danger by not taking every possible pro-cation. It's not like the country is open in terms of hotels, B&B's cafes and restaurants where people would drive off and frequent to put those areas at risk.

In fact socially responsible citizens have played a major role in flattening the curve and making sure the health system did not become overwhelmed, the reward for that should not be waiting until the 20th of July to see parents who's twilight months and now it seems possibly years are being eroded in terms of family contact. We need to learn to live with this thing as we all know by now it's not going away anytime soon.

The Tom, Dick's and Harry's of this world who would take off and flout guidelines in terms of social distancing and sanitation have been doing it all along and laughing at the rest of us for the solidarity the rest of the country has taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I really don't think you understand at all seeing as you're accusing them of virus spreading and all sorts by the end of the post. I'm aware of a number of people who have continued to visit, some outside the mandated restrictions. I trust their acknowledgement of personal responsibility. From their perspective it is the right decision and it has been of great psychological benefit to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It’s idiots like you who will prolong the lockdown. Do your parents and fellow citizens a favour and stay away.

Funny you say that....

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/delays-in-testing-raise-doubts-about-timing-of-lifting-irish-lockdown-1.4238531

Do you think everyone is obeying social distancing rules to the letter of the law? Even a small percentage breaking the 2m restriction could spread the virus.

I would reckon that those who aren't obeying the social distancing rules are not obeying the distance rules either, so you are gaining nothing here, only punishing the people who would travel and visit safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

sideswipe wrote: »

The Tom, Dick's and Harry's of this world who would take off and flout guidelines in terms of social distancing and sanitation have been doing it all along and laughing at the rest of us for the solidarity the rest of the country has taken.

I have seen these types visiting their relations, I have a cocooner neighbor whose house I observe from my landing window who has had at least three visitors a week since she was ordered to cocoon. Needless to say I am going to shun her if she survives . I have seen people with trollies full of non essential items. People outside their permitted exercise circles. People who haven’t clapped once for the heros on the frontline of the war. The enemy is within.

No it isn't. Calm down.

I stopped washing everything but my hands three weeks ago. I find it has made a difference in terms of people socially distancing themselves from me when I go to get essentials. Not showering has also significantly reduced my carbon footprint so it’s a win win. My cats are starting to get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

You would think so, but I have encountered a few Garda who have made up their own restrictions. My son is a Garda and I've had to correct him as well. He thought up till recently the over 70's were legally required to stay in the home.

He should really have known this, deeply unsettling if the gardai out there don't know the recommendations and their remit. I'm not trying to get at your son, I know it's a difficult time and gardai are under immense pressure and strain.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭atahuapla

Are you serious?! No government would stop me visiting parents. Whats wrong with you people?

Wow what an attitude, we're all in this together, eh?

atahuapla wrote: »
    Wow what an attitude, we're all in this together, eh?

All these people who are visiting their parents should be named, shamed, then shunned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

robbiezero wrote: »
    No it isn't. Calm down.

Theyre everywhere, theyre literally everywhere, lemmings!

"oh my god you are outside your 5k, your spreading the virus, youre spreading the virus, its your fault we are locked down"

Nothing to do with the testing mess, the care home mess, the testing turnaround mess its because you strayed outside 5k and apparently the virus has built in gps that can identify and latch itself to someone outside their 5 k, its lying theyre waiting on someone to stray outside their 5k, if only they stayed within that 5k the virus couldnt get them becasue theres an invisible forcesheild thats stops them coming within 5k of you.

Oh and the virus listens to leo when so it used to be 2k but listened to leo say 5k so its now operating at 5k, thast what leo meant when he said it was in retreat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm kind of dreading the crazy traffic jam that the country will turn into as soon as travel restrictions are lifted. Everyone will want to go everywhere. I certainly wont be driving anywhere till it cools down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Jesus, if you want to visit your parents (at a social distance, of course) who live 45 minutes away, then just go visit them. Bring a couple of bags of shopping, the gardai aren't going to stop you, you're within the rules if you're shopping for them. I have literally no issue with someone doing this, for their sanity. Sure you can go outside your 5k to pick up a takeaway dinner.

Driving down to Wexford now to spend the weekend in your holiday home is a different story. But if you haven't seen your parents in three months, dear God, off you go in the car. We're adults, have a bit a sense about things and we'll all be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

JDD wrote: »
    Jesus, if you want to visit your parents (at a social distance, of course) who live 45 minutes away, then just go visit them. Bring a couple of bags of shopping, the gardai aren't going to stop you, you're within the rules if you're shopping for them. I have literally no issue with someone doing this, for their sanity. Sure you can go outside your 5k to pick up a takeaway dinner.

Driving down to Wexford now to spend the weekend in your holiday home is a different story. But if you haven't seen your parents in three months, dear God, off you go in the car. We're adults, have a bit a sense about things and we'll all be okay.

Couldnt agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭seamusk84

I booked a nice hotel in Kerry for the August Bank Holiday weekend, along with a trip out to the Skellig islands. Sure hope it all goes to plan.

I think it is important to book now and have it in the bag as people will start panic booking staycations in the coming weeks for the summer.

Worst case scenario: Lock-down is re-imposed and you get refunded your booking deposit. What harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

seamusk84 wrote: »
    I booked a nice hotel in Kerry for the August Bank Holiday weekend, along with a trip out to the Skellig islands. Sure hope it all goes to plan.

I think it is important to book now and have it in the bag as people will start panic booking staycations in the coming weeks for the summer.

Worst case scenario: Lock-down is re-imposed and you get refunded your booking deposit. What harm.
    This could be a silver lining for tourism in this country as we are effectively trapped on the island!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

seamusk84 wrote: »

I'm thinking of doing the same thing for August. Was seriously considering Centerparcs, but not if it's going to be overrun with people. That'll be a tough call. I was initially concerned about the waterdome, but apparently swimming pools are actually quite safe due to the amount of chlorine they put in the pools.

Maybe I'll stick to somewhere smaller. And if it turns out that the schools are only opening for one a day week, we might book for September instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Breezin

JDD wrote: »

I agree fully with that on an individual level. But it is not public policy, and my understanding is that only designated carers can visit cocooners or elderly. What if the parent is not over 70 and not ill? What if it's a grandparent or parent wanting to visit their children or grandchildren? What if someone, even a Tom, Dick or Harry - how dreadful! - just needs to travel for its own sake, for recreation, while fully observing social distancing rules?
    Where do you draw the line?
    It's all very well if we all make up our own rules. That's a natural response to bad law, but it's also a peculiarly Irish fudge. I would much prefer an honest approach.

I'm kind of dreading the crazy traffic jam that the country will turn into as soon as travel restrictions are lifted. Everyone will want to go everywhere. I certainly wont be driving anywhere till it cools down.

A lot of peeps will have forgotten how to drive I’d expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

From RTE
    A draft document from the Italian government says free movement within separate regions of the country will be allowed from 18 May.

So in Italy you will be able to go where you like on Monday

We can't even travel freely withing our own counties until July 20th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Paddygreen wrote: »
    I have seen these types visiting their relations, I have a cocooner neighbor whose house I observe from my landing window who has had at least three visitors a week since she was ordered to cocoon. Needless to say I am going to shun her if she survives . I have seen people with trollies full of non essential items. People outside their permitted exercise circles. People who haven’t clapped once for the heros on the frontline of the war. The enemy is within.

People who don't clap are the lowest of the low Paddy:pac::D

Keep up the good work, those curtains won't twitch themselves;)

Advertisement