Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restore travel (and sanity) within Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Paddygreen wrote: »
    I have a dossier on the non compliant in my neighborhood as I’m sure many other concerned citizens have. I can get a very clear view from my landing window of comings and goings in my vicinity. Nothing escapes my attention.

Am enjoying your posts, although with the forum the way it is, I sometimes have to read a few times to determine that you are not serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Paddygreen wrote: »
    I have a dossier on the non compliant in my neighborhood as I’m sure many other concerned citizens have. I can get a very clear view from my landing window of comings and goings in my vicinity. Nothing escapes my attention.

Thank you for all your efforts Comrade. You're doing essential work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Sandz066 wrote: »
    I live in Cork but home is Kerry.. I haven't seen my parents, nieces, nephews or friends since early February.

It is likely to be July before I see them face to face again. I saw them more frequently when I lived in Spain for a year even though they're only an hour down the road.

We all have to do our bit to keep the spread of infection as low as possible. Stop whinging and being selfish and wait until the health experts and Government say it is ok to travel.

Like when it was safe for thousands of Italians to travel here when it was running rampant over there. Because as Tony himself said there was no evidence it would spread in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

manlad wrote: »
    Parents live 45 mins away. I've not seen them since February, July is supposedly when I can go visit them again without restrictions. Doesn't seem fair at times. I'm reminded each day about the additional numbers of people who have lost their lives so its difficult to argue with it.

Good god. Go see your parents you lazy... person.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

I live in Cork but home is Kerry.. I haven't seen my parents, nieces, nephews or friends since early February.

It is likely to be July before I see them face to face again. I saw them more frequently when I lived in Spain for a year even though they're only an hour down the road.

We all have to do our bit to keep the spread of infection as low as possible. Stop whinging and being selfish and wait until the health experts and Government say it is ok to travel.

But you can see them and still do your bit. 5k to visit 4 people or 150k makes no difference if you practice social distancing etc. How many countries have enforced a distance limit?

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

robbiezero wrote: »
    As I said, I would strongly advise anyone who cannot differentiate between spending a few hours chatting in a parents garden while social distancing and spending a weekend in holiday home in wexford, to obey to the letter all restrictions.
    Also try not to use any sharp objects.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Ballso wrote: »
    Why?

The fact you have to say 'why?' validates the comment you responded to.

Why?

You going to answer this? Why is meeting another household and potentially spreading the virus ok according to "common sense", but going to an empty house verboten? Why is this supposed to be obvious to us?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You going to answer this? Why is meeting another household and potentially spreading the virus ok according to "common sense", but going to an empty house verboten? Why is this supposed to be obvious to us?

It's to keep the spread within a zone so containment is easier. Taking it down the country to a holiday home and then heading back to base is doubling the range.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    It's to keep the spread within a zone so containment is easier. Taking it down the country to a holiday home and then heading back to base is doubling the range.

So it's the distance that is the deciding factor then? What if my holiday home is closer to me than my parents are?

Sounds like ignoring the rules and making up your own interpretations is not a great idea to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

So it's the distance that is the deciding factor then? What if my holiday home is closer to me than my parents are?

Sounds like ignoring the rules and making up your own interpretations is not a great idea to me

What are you on about? Basic control of an epidemic. Contain in 2km radius cells, then 5km, then 20km. I was going to post more but you're being obtuse with interpretation of relies that makes no sense. Go do what you want. If enough of us see the sense in adhering to the plan we'll get there. You're not worth a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

If enough of us see the sense in adhering to the plan we'll get there

You've a group of people circa 100,000 here in this country that don't adhere to anything, uncontrollable.

What's your plan for them to see sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭VonLuck

What are you on about? Basic control of an epidemic. Contain in 2km radius cells, then 5km, then 20km. I was going to post more but you're being obtuse with interpretation of relies that makes no sense. Go do what you want. If enough of us see the sense in adhering to the plan we'll get there. You're not worth a ban.

That's entirely his point though...

You going to answer this?

Nah, because I doubt you would understand the answer. So no need to waste either my time or yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Mike3287 wrote: »
    You've a group of people circa 100,000 here in this country that don't adhere to anything, uncontrollable.

What's your plan for them to see sense?

Give them special ethnic status and everything will be fine...;)

Oh wait...........

Are you asking me why I think there is a difference between spending a couple of hours in me mas garden with social distancing and suitable hygiene observance is different to multiple (potentially) people descending on a tourist location for an extended stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sandz066

But you can see them and still do your bit. 5k to visit 4 people or 150k makes no difference if you practice social distancing etc. How many countries have enforced a distance limit?

I don't have a car so going to visit them would mean taking public transport and increased risk of picking something up. So no I'll wait until later phases to venture that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Breezin

I don't have a car so going to visit them would mean taking public transport and increased risk of picking something up. So no I'll wait until later phases to venture that far.

That's fair enough. You are being responsible, clearly.
    A different matter entirely to travelling in isolation or with household members.

Are you asking me why I think there is a difference between spending a couple of hours in me mas garden with social distancing and suitable hygiene observance is different to multiple (potentially) people descending on a tourist location for an extended stay?

Are you a bit slow? I've asked four times now. Visiting another household is OK, but visiting an empty house is not. Why? Surely "common sense" says it's the latter that's OK.

Anyone can ignore the rules by simply adding some "common sense" measures to the directions given.

Are you a bit slow? I've asked four times now. Visiting another household is OK, but visiting an empty house is not. Why? Surely "common sense" says it's the latter that's OK.

Anyone can ignore the rules by simply adding some "common sense" measures to the directions given.

Harris was asked a few questions of this sort on Morning Ireland earlier. He was winging it, giving answers that were what looked like "common sense".

That same process applied to travel would yield a dramatically different outcome than his current approach. Common sense tells you that if you travel by private transport and practice social distancing in common activities, such as

• going to an empty house alone or with household
    • picnicking alone or with household
    • walking/hiking alone or with household
    • swimming alone or with household
    • sunbathing alone or with household
    then there is no risk of passing on or contracting the virus.

The only interpretation that there might be a risk is that which is premised on general flouting of social distancing, which presumes via collective guilt that we are all irresponsible.

What is needed is more intelligent policy and policing that targets those who do not practice social distancing, and treats the rest of us fairly. The travel ban is not necessary.

• Advertisement

You specifically said "Holiday Home". Can you even read your own nonsense?

What do you think the reaction in local areas would be if multiple people decided to go to their holiday homes for an extended stay?
    How does this relate to people visiting their parents in an arbitrary location for a few hours?

Hopefully the locals will give you the reception you deserve.

Charming! Hopefully the gardai will not be tolerating vigilantism.

Breezin wrote: »
    Charming! Hopefully the gardai will not be tolerating vigilantism.

I was thinking more along the lines of dirty looks.
    To be honest I don't think there is any major issues with anyone going to a holiday home at this point apart from issues with local population due to the hysteria and fear.

Just that there is quite a difference between that and visiting a parent for a few hours in their garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

the ongoing deterioration of the mental health of those over the age of 70 living by themselves who have been house bound abiding by the rules since the 12th of March is a huge issue that is not appropriately being considered. Our personal situation was that my elderly mother who lives approx 20k away and I have been doing a weekly shop for and leaving at her door at having a socially distanced chat and cuppa with in the front garden. Last weekend I sterilized my car seats/seat belts, door handles etc. We both wore masks, gloves and she sat in the back passenger side seat as I to wore a mask and gloves. I drove her over to ours where she entered our back garden through the side gate and sat over two meters away from us while myself my wife and my two young kids shared a BBQ with her. She remained distanced throughout, didn't enter the house and had sterilizing wipes and gel next to her. This short, about two hour visit gave her the biggest jolt in the arm I could ever expect. Her whole mental health has lifted immensely as she was beginning to slump down and feel isolated. I honestly feel that with immense care and precaution occasional meets like this can be immeasurably beneficial for those who are not online and are very vulnerable mentally and physically at this time

the ongoing deterioration of the mental health of those over the age of 70 living by themselves who have been house bound abiding by the rules since the 12th of March is a huge issue that is not appropriately being considered. Our personal situation was that my elderly mother who lives approx 20k away and I have been doing a weekly shop for and leaving at her door at having a socially distanced chat and cuppa with in the front garden. Last weekend I sterilized my car seats/seat belts, door handles etc. We both wore masks, gloves and she sat in the back passenger side seat as I to wore a mask and gloves. I drove her over to ours where she entered our back garden through the side gate and sat over two meters away from us while myself my wife and my two young kids shared a BBQ with her. She remained distanced throughout, didn't enter the house and had sterilizing wipes and gel next to her. This short, about two hour visit gave her the biggest jolt in the arm I could ever expect. Her whole mental health has lifted immensely as she was beginning to slump down and feel isolated. I honestly feel that with immense care and precaution occasional meets like this can be immeasurably beneficial for those who are not online and are very vulnerable mentally and physically at this time

Why is your mother housebound? What rules is she following that she thinks requires her to remain in her home. My father is 72 and has gone for a walk every single day since this crisis started.

I was thinking more along the lines of dirty looks.

Given that a lot of people in such areas have kids living elsewhere, not least in Dublin, I wonder if the dirty looks will extend to those when they come back. Or perhaps they are immune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

she is categorized as high risk

You specifically said "Holiday Home". Can you even read your own nonsense?

What do you think the reaction in local areas would be if multiple people decided to go to their holiday homes for an extended stay?
    How does this relate to people visiting their parents in an arbitrary location for a few hours?

A holiday home is an empty house...

The point is that visiting an empty house is objectively safer than visiting family for a few hours, yet you've been hysterical every time it's been mentioned. Neither are allowed under the guidelines.

Just follow the directions given and stop making up your own interpretations.

A holiday home is an empty house...

The point is that visiting an empty house is objectively safer than visiting family for a few hours, yet you've been hysterical every time it's been mentioned. Neither are allowed under the guidelines.

Just follow the directions given and stop making up your own interpretations.

What happens if multiple people go to a holiday home in the same area?
    How do you get provisions?
    Where will you get petrol?
    Where do you go for exercise?
    Nonsense to say its the same thing.

I'm not in the least bit hysterical, why would I be. I am happily visiting parents whenever I need to, I don't have a holiday home so I don't give a tuppenny ****e about going to one.

I think people could probably safely go to their holiday homes with a bit of cop on, but its just not the same as a few hours visiting your mas garden no matter how much. If it was why was there so much hysteria about it in the early days of restrictions?

• Advertisement

she is categorized as high risk
    My father is too, but his mental health is as important to him as his physical health. Your mother is not required to remain in her home 24/7.

Advertisement