Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

private care during miscarriage

Options
  • 14-05-2020 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

im just curious about something. I am wondering between public and private care. I would prefer private but I don't want to go forking out thousands of euro I will have to borrow incase I have a miscarriage. do u lose all the money if u lose ur baby? its a big risk. I don't know how it works? many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I can try answer your questions as I went private on my first and most recent pregnancy which ended in a miscarriage at 8.5 weeks back in march.
    Going private you usually pay in stages. So the chances of you losing much money if you do happen to miscarry, should be minimal.
    I had only paid for my first appt which was 150euro, 75 of which I claimed back from my health insurance.
    I was at my 2nd appt with my consultant when we discovered there was no heartbeat. He didnt charge me for that appt.
    So it really does depend on what way your consultant would charge but as far as I know you dont pay everything up front. It's in stages over the course of your pregnancy.
    Hope this helps. Any other questions just shout

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

im just curious about something. I am wondering between public and private care. I would prefer private but I don't want to go forking out thousands of euro I will have to borrow incase I have a miscarriage. do u lose all the money if u lose ur baby? its a big risk. I don't know how it works? many thanks

Hiya,

I’m currently pregnant with my second baby, third pregnancy and have gone private on all. Unfortunately, I had a missed miscarriage at 11 wks on my first pregnancy. At that stage, I hadn’t paid anything to my consultant and never did for that pregnancy. I ended up being treated in the EPU and my consultant visited me when I was in there even though I hadn’t even met him before that. He was a gentleman. He also saw me 6 weeks later and I wasn’t charged that day either.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭sallyanne12

andreac wrote: »
    I can try answer your questions as I went private on my first and most recent pregnancy which ended in a miscarriage at 8.5 weeks back in march.
    Going private you usually pay in stages. So the chances of you losing much money if you do happen to miscarry, should be minimal.
    I had only paid for my first appt which was 150euro, 75 of which I claimed back from my health insurance.
    I was at my 2nd appt with my consultant when we discovered there was no heartbeat. He didnt charge me for that appt.
    So it really does depend on what way your consultant would charge but as far as I know you dont pay everything up front. It's in stages over the course of your pregnancy.
    Hope this helps. Any other questions just shout

Ah Andreac, thank you so so much. And I’m so sorry to hear of your miscarriage. I am high risk for miscarriage the doctor told me due to thyroid issues and hormones imbalanced and also PCOS. So I’m quite anxious about it all. I do want to go private tho so your help put me more at ease. Thank you and I hope you have a healthy pregnancy next time :)

awny wrote: »
    Hiya,

I’m currently pregnant with my second baby, third pregnancy and have gone private on all. Unfortunately, I had a missed miscarriage at 11 wks on my first pregnancy. At that stage, I hadn’t paid anything to my consultant and never did for that pregnancy. I ended up being treated in the EPU and my consultant visited me when I was in there even though I hadn’t even met him before that. He was a gentleman. He also saw me 6 weeks later and I wasn’t charged that day either.

Thank you and I’m also sorry about your missed miscarriage. I didn’t realise that miscarriages are so common in healthy women Who don’t even have any issues with thyroid or whatever.
    take care of yourself with this pregnancy :)
    Another thing, how do you go about selecting a consultant? Word of mouth recommendations is it? At the moment they are all just names to me

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

Thank you and I’m also sorry about your missed miscarriage. I didn’t realise that miscarriages are so common in healthy women Who don’t even have any issues with thyroid or whatever.
    Another thing, how do you go about selecting a consultant? Word of mouth recommendations is it? At the moment they are all just names to me

Yep mainly word of mouth or a GP. Which hospital are you hoping to attend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

20% of pregnancies end in miscarriage so it’s quite common unfortunately. I personally know 5 women who are very close to me who have miscarried. It’s just not something that a lot of women talk about.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I went semi-private in the Rotunda.They usually do your first appointment at 12 weeks, but don't ask you for money until after the whole appointment is completed and you go to the receptionist to book the next appointment.

I haven't had the experience but I imagine that if the scan at that appointment showed the pregnancy was not successful, then you wouldn't be charged.

awny wrote: »
    Yep mainly word of mouth or a GP. Which hospital are you hoping to attend?

I’m hoping to attend the coombe. I had a horrific experience in holles street and a very traumatic delivery. Ended in an emergency section with baby in ICU and me needing blood transfusions. Then again I was public so maybe private there would be different. I’m just terrified of giving birth now. Also I’m wondering if I’ll be able to give birth naturally considering I have very damaged abdominal muscles and had a section. I heard it’s impossible to push with the damaged abs.
    Do all the private consultants do the c sections? Is there a specific one that would be better than another for c section delivery?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I have not had experience of the Coombe, but have heard Dr.Hugh O'Connor highly recommended by a close aquaintance.If that helps.

shesty wrote: »
    I have not had experience of the Coombe, but have heard Dr.Hugh O'Connor highly recommended by a close aquaintance.If that helps.

That’s a great help thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I think because all those consultants are self employed in terms of their private work, there won’t be any hospital policy, so it will all come down to their own personal terms and conditions.
    A friend of mine had a late pregnancy loss a few years ago, At around 20 weeks, so she’d have made either 1 or 2 payments at that stage (out of 3), and got a cheque in the post a couple of weeks later with a full refund

jlm29 wrote: »
    I think because all those consultants are self employed in terms of their private work, there won’t be any hospital policy, so it will all come down to their own personal terms and conditions.
    A friend of mine had a late pregnancy loss a few years ago, At around 20 weeks, so she’d have made either 1 or 2 payments at that stage (out of 3), and got a cheque in the post a couple of weeks later with a full refund

That was nice of the consultant.
    Why did she lose the baby so late if you don’t mind me asking? I didn’t know women lost babies that late... that’s rather scary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

That was nice of the consultant.
    Why did she lose the baby so late if you don’t mind me asking? I didn’t know women lost babies that late... that’s rather scary

I don’t really know the details. I don’t think they really knew why, sometimes these things just happen. But it doesn’t happen very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

For my private consultant I paid in stages and was only asked to pay after I had my 12 week appointment with him and everything was ok. He provided a free early scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

You don’t pay it all up front and I’d imagine the consultants are reasonable in this regard- they must have lots of women booking in early who suffer losses. Without sounding too businesslike about it, a woman who suffers a miscarriage of a wanted pregnancy is probably likely to try again and come back to the consultant- you’d never go back if they kept all your money

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jebus111

I am attending Rotunda and they never ask about money until after booking appointment and I literally saw consultant every week due to complications in the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I’m hoping to attend the coombe. I had a horrific experience in holles street and a very traumatic delivery. Ended in an emergency section with baby in ICU and me needing blood transfusions. Then again I was public so maybe private there would be different. I’m just terrified of giving birth now. Also I’m wondering if I’ll be able to give birth naturally considering I have very damaged abdominal muscles and had a section. I heard it’s impossible to push with the damaged abs.
    Do all the private consultants do the c sections? Is there a specific one that would be better than another for c section delivery?

I attended the coombe on both and my consultant there was dr michael o connor. Absolutely lovely man who is now master of the coombe since my first baby so you would be in great hands there if you went with him. Hos secretary Is so lovely too.
    Michael performed my d and c when I miscarried and his care went above and beyond.
    So I would highly recommend him if you are going to be attending the coombe for private care.

I had a tough delivery in Holles street, although most of the staff were fabulous bar one mean one on unit 3... , it was just bad luck. I was very anxious after so went private on number 2. Ended up with an elective section so the private room after was great and it was reassuring to know the consultant in advance of the section. I asked my doctor for a recommendation of someone to go to and he’s lovely, very kind. Another friend was with him too because a friend of hers who works in holles street said they’d use him. Unfortunately my baby was very sick after (nothing to do with the birth) so now I’m back with him and he knows all my history

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Mostly I think its "no foal, no fee" in practice but I don't think they advertise it as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sallysue2

I was private in my last pregnancy which ended at 16 weeks. I had paid a third of the fee at that stage and that's all I paid. In those 16 weeks I had 6 scans and a minor procedure, spent 2 weeks in hospital. I rang the secretary several times afterwards to see if I owed anything more and nobody ever got back to me. Pregnant again and with the same consultant. If you have a complicated history I'd highly recommend going privately x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

My consultant has no rules on how much or when to pay as long as you have paid at your 6 weeks post natal check up.

I think the official rules in the hospital are:
    €1000 by 12 weeks
    €1000 by 28 weeks
    Balance by 6 weeks check up.

If you had a bad outcome you wouldn’t be down much if any money even if the consultant charged you because you can claim back on your health insurance.

I am around 26 weeks now have paid him €1000 for his fee so far but claimed back €850 from health insurance.
    I can’t claim anything else back from health insurance but can claim 20% back from my tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

Millem wrote: »
    My consultant has no rules on how much or when to pay as long as you have paid at your 6 weeks post natal check up.

I think the official rules in the hospital are:
    €1000 by 12 weeks
    €1000 by 28 weeks
    Balance by 6 weeks check up.

If you had a bad outcome you wouldn’t be down much if any money even if the consultant charged you because you can claim back on your health insurance.

I am around 26 weeks now have paid him €1000 for his fee so far but claimed back €850 from health insurance.
    I can’t claim anything else back from health insurance but can claim 20% back from my tax.

How did you claim back €850 Millem? My health insurance will only cover €350 of the full consultant private maternity fee of €3500. €850 back from €1000 sounds amazing!

Lizardlegz wrote: »
    How did you claim back €850 Millem? My health insurance will only cover €350 of the full consultant private maternity fee of €3500. €850 back from €1000 sounds amazing!

I know what you are saying!
    It is just with my health insurance and how it fell! I can’t claim any more back now because it’s per pregnancy! My guy is charging me €3k repeat. I got the same back on my last baby too :) different plans have different amounts that you can claim
    Back under maternity consultant visits! There are some plans where you can claim over €2k in maternity fees but the plans could cost €4-€5k!

I got 50% back from my panorama test too but that was separate I paid €450 got €225 back.

Don’t want to derail this by getting into health insurance but you know if your husband has health insurance he can claim the day to day maternity benefits that aren’t in your name eg like the 5 lunches and 5 dinners delivered to your house, the cleaners and the parking expenses etc! Obviously it depends on what’s on his plan!!

Irish life health said they can’t discriminate against Dad’s! Now the maternity consultant is for mum only as are the scans and foetal screening as they are in mum’s name!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

It is just with my health insurance and how it fell! I can’t claim any more back now because it’s per pregnancy! My guy is charging me €3k repeat. I got the same back on my last baby too :) different plans have different amounts that you can claim
    Back under maternity consultant visits! There are some plans where you can claim over €2k in maternity fees but the plans could cost €4-€5k!

I got 50% back from my panorama test too but that was separate I paid €450 got €225 back.

Don’t want to derail this by getting into health insurance but you know if your husband has health insurance he can claim the day to day maternity benefits that aren’t in your name eg like the 5 lunches and 5 dinners delivered to your house, the cleaners and the parking expenses etc! Obviously it depends on what’s on his plan!!

Irish life health said they can’t discriminate against Dad’s! Now the maternity consultant is for mum only as are the scans and foetal screening as they are in mum’s name!

Gosh sounds like you have a great insurance plan for maternity!! Ours is quite average regarding maternity!!! But I will look At the day to day things also! There’s no cleaner or meals or anything but there’s baby massage, swimming etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Sorry I know it’s OT but are you with Irish life? Sounds like we have the same plans. Didn’t even consider my husband could also avail of the dinners/lunches cleaner!!! Have you used these benefits on your other pregnancies? I wonder can you use your own cleaner or is it a company that they are aligned with. I know the Pilates and yoga can be availed of post pregnancy too up to six months so might be a chance of using that if things dramatically change with Covid19!

cant26 wrote: »
    Sorry I know it’s OT but are you with Irish life? Sounds like we have the same plans. Didn’t even consider my husband could also avail of the dinners/lunches cleaner!!! Have you used these benefits on your other pregnancies? I wonder can you use your own cleaner or is it a company that they are aligned with. I know the Pilates and yoga can be availed of post pregnancy too up to six months so might be a chance of using that if things dramatically change with Covid19!

My husband is with Irish Life heath and I am with vhi. You need to use their cleaner I think! You don’t pay anything. I got his health insurance through Cornmarket and picked the maternity personal package. They confirmed everything with Irish life health.
    €50 expenses for parking etc (keep receipts) day before and 3 days after, cleaner (their company), meals (their company) and a few other things...I can’t remember!

Lizardlegz wrote: »
    Gosh sounds like you have a great insurance plan for maternity!! Ours is quite average regarding maternity!!! But I will look At the day to day things also! There’s no cleaner or meals or anything but there’s baby massage, swimming etc.

I think the baby bundle with vhi is a maternity benefit not a day to day. I am with vhi myself! Basically to claim these there is a 52 waiting period if they weren’t on your previous plan (like me I was with Irish life health). The receipt must have the name of the person on it so say the baby massage you can only claim it if it says your name
    on it!
    Check it all out though!
    My renewal is feb so things do change. Even new things get added onto plans.
    From memory you can claim that baby bundle up the baby’s first birthday. In my case I can claim in from 1st feb 2021 as some things weren’t on my ILH plan!

Personally I do think ILH is better, my kids are with them and even get €100 back on car seats, money back on sports clubs and 6 x €20 back on prescriptions!

Sorry for derailing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭anndub

I've had two miscarriages, both at 8 weeks, both in the Rotunda. I'd booked in for both babies with scan dates confirmed etc before the initial spotting happened which would have been at around 6 weeks for both babies. I presented at the Rotunda assessment unit and was scanned and the consultant I was under was contacted by phone. For both I was brought back in to the private clinics for a scan 7 to 10 days later to see if the pregnancy was progressing, twice in the case of the second miscarriage. I wasn't charged on either occasion but was given the best of care. I firmly believe the level of support I was given helped hugely in allowing me to conceive and successfully carry the babies I had immediately after each miscarriage.

Edited to add the first payment is taken at the booking appointment in the Rotunda despite you getting an early scan at about 8 to 10 weeks as part of the package. I'd imagine it's done this way so as not to charge people who may go on to miscarry.

Millem that’s very useful knowledge! I have a plan that has no frills- basically good private and hi tech hospital cover etc so I can be private but none of the extras like maternity cleaning, meals etc. My husband has a work plan so I’m off to check his now!!!

• Advertisement

Beanybabog wrote: »
    Millem that’s very useful knowledge! I have a plan that has no frills- basically good private and hi tech hospital cover etc so I can be private but none of the extras like maternity cleaning, meals etc. My husband has a work plan so I’m off to check his now!!!

We all have corporate plans in this house....they are much better than the usual plans and sometimes even cheaper!! My husband is with ILH this is what is his...it is the maternity personalised package.
    With lots of them you don’t pay anything they pay supplier directly eg cleaner, GentleBirth app, doula, food hamper.
    He got to pick a few personalised packages so I added that one for him! There is no wait time for personalised packages and you can change them at any time apparently :)

Advertisement