Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paper Mario: The Origami King

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,351 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I'll post one video review, I'm sure you can find others. It has to be GameXplain, seeing as they've provided the most thorough coverage of the game up to its release.

Paper Mario: The Origami King - REVIEW (Nintendo Switch)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=EBT0XlKGE7M

The biggest criticism overall from the reviews is the combat system. I thought it would be the lack of experience points and RPG mechanics.

Wow! The game isn't even out yet, and already people have it running on emulators.

Nintendo Switch Emulators Yuzu, Ryujinx Can Already Run Paper Mario: The Origami King

https://wccftech.com/nintendo-switch-emulators-yuzu-ryujinx-can-already-run-paper-mario-the-origami-king/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It leaked last week or earlier this week, didn't it?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    It leaked last week or earlier this week, didn't it?

Ya, I posted about it. But I thought that was people with Switch copies of the game, not this.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It was data mined at the time so the code would've been dumped for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

sligeach wrote: »
    The biggest criticism overall from the reviews is the combat system. I thought it would be the lack of experience points and RPG mechanics.

It has always looked like they tried to reinvent the wheel so to speak, the whole line up enemy things never sounded particularly compelling. Should just stick to basic turn based combat as Mario & Luigi isn't really a thing for the foreseeable future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As a man who really doesn't like turn-based combat, that they've messed around with convention with this release cheers me up no end.

I would have still bought it though!

INTERVIEW: PAPER MARIO’S DEVELOPMENT TEAM LAYS IT ALL OUT
    NINTENDO AND INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS DISCUSS THE MAKING OF THE ORIGAMI KING AND THE CHALLENGE OF REINVENTING A DECADES-OLD SERIES

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/features/interviews/paper-mario-origami-king/

This interview has riled a lot of people and I can absolutely see why.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

sligeach wrote: »
    INTERVIEW: PAPER MARIO’S DEVELOPMENT TEAM LAYS IT ALL OUT
    NINTENDO AND INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS DISCUSS THE MAKING OF THE ORIGAMI KING AND THE CHALLENGE OF REINVENTING A DECADES-OLD SERIES

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/features/interviews/paper-mario-origami-king/

This interview has riled a lot of people and I can absolutely see why.

God that is a hell of an interview, I can only imagine that Tanabe wanted to say those things or else he had no idea how bad it would have sounded as all he was asked are soft questions. Suddenly the decline of Mario & Luigi makes total sense, feel bad for the people who used to work at AlphaDream now.

• Advertisement

Video on Nintendo Japan Twitter shows some Origami characters from Paper Mario: The Origami King being made.

Google Translate: [Nintendo HP] "Paper Mario Origami King" official website has been updated.
    "I tried folding an origami character."

And if you go to the website you will see Youtube videos of the characters being made in full.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/aruua/index.html

It's really cool. Here's Princess Peach.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=YAg6eLYovIU

I've seen Peach being made before, but that was a while ago and I think it was fan made. The others are new to me. It's mad how they do it.

Edit: This is the person I seen before make Princess Peach. Though as she says herself it's not true origami. Still impressive, nonetheless. And she goes through step by step, whereas the Nintendo videos don't.

Make King Olly from Paper Mario the Origami King

https://youtube.com/watch?v=51wVjNUAWXg

Learn all about the World of Paper Mario: The Origami King! - Nintendo Switch

https://youtube.com/watch?v=V7_ftbG6bjU

This was something I just remembered from the GameXplain review a couple of days ago now and I had to make a gif about it. Look at that water! Is there a Nintendo game with more realistic looking water?
    rtkBL6.gif

I think that's the culmination of their countdown.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Have you bought it yet Sligeach?
    Will you be getting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

My copy shipped yesterday, hopefully it'll arrived in time for the weekend. Can't wait :)

I picked it up this morning in Smyth's but haven't yet played.
    It came with an Origami sheet set and a nice keyring, and as with the other bits and bobs I've gotten from Nintendo as bonuses, I'm afraid to open them!

So many interrupting tutorial speeches, nearly drove me demented.
    Don't think they are skippable either.
    Otherwise, it's lovely

Turned it on, sat back and let the awesome writing roll over me. A lot of the dialogue is fairly standard stuff but the little jokes slotted in are so full of heart.

Just past the first two major bosses and while the ordinary battles take a bit of pushing (once you are levelled high enough, lower level enemies can be defeated instantly so that's nice) the boss battles are a lot of fun.

That said, I do miss the ordinary RPG battle systems from the previous Paper Mario games I've played but as far as a breath of fresh air goes, this is a winner.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,481 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I keep wondering if I might enjoy these games, and been looking at this one but there's a weird consistency about Paper Mario comments: player reviews tend to focus on what the games aren't, rather than what they are. Same here; lots of laments that it's not as RPG focused as the series used to be - that it's not "Thousand Year Door", a 16 year old game.

So it looks like fun, and still broadly RPG style - but divorced of the yearning for the old approach, is the game any good? What's this game analogous to?

The biggest stumbling block for most people I'd imagine is the battle system, it's very unusual.

It's a cutesy game, somewhat hand-holdy and extremely colourful. Extremely pretty in parts and the paper theme is very strong in this, money being cardboard, Paper Macho for large and strong Papier Maché characters and loads of arts and crafts aspects (colouring pencils, rubber bands, card tubes, chicken wire etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've read a few threads on Facebook that say the game is fantastic. I'm inclined to give it a shot when I get paid. :)
    Played and finished most other PM games - loved the GBA/DS/3DS games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,481 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So is it a RPG at all then?

pixelburp wrote: »
    So is it a RPG at all then?

Not exactly, the player character doesn't appear to level up and only the battle system is turn based and, even then, it's more of a mini game system.
    Call it an action adventure, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah, it's a lot of fun! It's definitely got all the charm of the previous games. I dunno about anyone else, but I like the battle system, I like figuring out the movements to align the enemies for the best attack possibilities!
    Some of the ones in the battle lab have me stumped though! Going to keep at them...

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Not exactly, the player character doesn't appear to level up and only the battle system is turn based and, even then, it's more of a mini game system.

Ok, that's a bit more useful as a guide; like I said too much revolved around it "not" being something I had no idea what it was. That price point though, ouch. Nintendo are the Apple of Gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭coffee to go

So is it closer to a Zelda game than a traditional turn-based (J)RPG? I appreciate that the battle system is obviously turn-based, but it's the actual adventuring bit that's more important? This was the reason that I loved Super Paper Mario and if feels closer to that, then sign me up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

pixelburp wrote: »
    I keep wondering if I might enjoy these games, and been looking at this one but there's a weird consistency about Paper Mario comments: player reviews tend to focus on what the games aren't, rather than what they are. Same here; lots of laments that it's not as RPG focused as the series used to be - that it's not "Thousand Year Door", a 16 year old game.

So it looks like fun, and still broadly RPG style - but divorced of the yearning for the old approach, is the game any good? What's this game analogous to?

Have a look at Bug Fables instead maybe? It’s much closer to The Thousand-Year Door (the best Mario RPG) than Origami King and is cheaper too (was on sale at point also I think).

• Advertisement

Action adventure with turn-based battling and some RPG elements? You get permanent health upgrades through exploration and as your health increases, so does your strength (characters comment that 'you've gotten a bit stronger since you increased your health'). Equitable weapons as well but they break after a while, not too bad as you find weapons around and two fights will usually give you enough cash to buy a new one with each major area having a shop.

Advertisement