Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paper Mario: The Origami King

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

This game is SO much fun! I watched a couple of Twitch streamers play it and I knew I had to buy it. Bought it on Sunday and have been playing solidly since. As a casual gamer I think it’s great coz I’m not very good at video games. The dialogue is very witty and the characters are beautifully designed. Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

This game is SO much fun! I watched a couple of Twitch streamers play it and I knew I had to buy it. Bought it on Sunday and have been playing solidly since. As a casual gamer I think it’s great coz I’m not very good at video games. The dialogue is very witty and the characters are beautifully designed. Love it!

My favourite part so far are the little coffee shops in the 'dungeons' and the arts and crafts bosses. So much heart in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Rhyme wrote: »
    My favourite part so far are the little coffee shops in the 'dungeons' and the arts and crafts bosses. So much heart in the game.

The craft boses are really good alright. I found the coloring pencil one very different but fun. The toad dialogue is funny too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I think I'm nearly finished the game now. It's great, so much charm and for the most part very enjoyable.

I'm a bit sick of the mini game onslaught at the moment though, that's my only criticism of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Have a look at Bug Fables instead maybe? It’s much closer to The Thousand-Year Door (the best Mario RPG) than Origami King and is cheaper too (was on sale at point also I think).

That game looks great - thanks :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Played the first part this morning (up to finding Luigi). Loving it so far.
    Not sick of battles (yet!) but I already know I'd prefer an XP/leveling system.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Accolades trailer (for anyone still on the fence)

Just finished it at lunch there, tense final battle, barely ate any of my sandwich until I was done. Multi-stage as only a Paper Mario final battle can be but well balanced.

Back I go to Animal Crossing to chill out as the last hour or two of Origami King is so fast and tense. Haven't felt momentum in a game like that in a while. I might go back to it before too long and see if I can seek out some of the treasures and Toads I didn't find and the last health upgrade but I can definitely see myself starting it anew again in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭coffee to go

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

Will this drop in price eventually or will it keep its value like the main mario games? I want to pick it up. But dont see my self playing it for a while with my backlog.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Enjoying the game so far, I'm on the second streamer only.
    But, good heavens, the battle system and I do not get on... don't like it at all!
    Just give me real time battles!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Enjoying the game so far, I'm on the second streamer only.
    But, good heavens, the battle system and I do not get on... don't like it at all!
    Just give me real time battles!

I felt that the battles took up comparatively less time in my play through than other Paper Mario games even with re-visiting some areas and fighting everything I saw. A lot of them could be avoided too. I always had to remind myself that the battles weren't giving me experience, just coins and very occasionally items.

The boss battles are a treat though, seeing tactics and techniques flip by and then settling on one that gets you as much as you can in as few moves. Only on the last streamer did I have to move the slices inward/outwards to get good results, before that it was all turning them counter/clockwise.

I had to take a break at the last streamer area with about 25 hours on the clock.

I couldn't put it down for an entire weekend, then the fatigue hit me. I just couldn't face another wander to find the dude who needs the thing to get to the other thing.

Will come back to it this week after time time giving my AC island some TLC!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Manning3000

Got this yesterday and played about the first three hours.

Absolutely love it, great art style, very witty, battle system is so so.

But a perfect game to dig into as a come down from The Last of Us Part 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This is available, a Origami King notebook set from Nintendo, to be bought with platinum points via their store

https://mynintendostore.nintendo.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/797

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Any Irish shops selling it cheaper than €50? It's €40 from currys UK but I'll buy here if it's within €10

xckjoo wrote: »
    Any Irish shops selling it cheaper than €50? It's €40 from currys UK but I'll buy here if it's within €10

I've seen a few people online selling it for cheaper but you don't get the same guarantees as with buying from a shop. Base.com have it for 40 pounds but you're adding on postage there too (I bought it from them and love their service and speed but I'm selling on my copy).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

xckjoo wrote: »

€48.99 in Argos and says it comes with a free gift but doesn't say what the gift is.

Finished this last night. I rushed the end a bit, I was kinda over all the mini games and bosses by this point.

Overall a very enjoyable game though, maybe in a few years I’ll replay it so going to hold on to the cart.

Not much chance of me getting all the collectibles though, I think Nintendo have really Flanderised this aspect of their games. It doesn’t help that the in-game museum is slow to load rooms, saves when you exit each room and switching display panels has a slow animation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

After initially not liking the game because of the whole fight structure I ebbed away at it when i had a spare hour or two ....in the end I found it a great game ...the "boss's" were enjoyably ridiculous .....just dig in to the inner child and enjoy

• Advertisement

I found it too hard to enjoy the battles, ended up avoiding them like the plague, kinda spoiled it for me.
    I was in that Ninja theme park level and got pissed off, so haven't gone back to it.
    If it had of had realtime battles or even a more traditional turn-based battle form I think I would have played it to completion, as it is I don't I will go back to it :(

Advertisement