Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Aero bike, budget 3.5K but flexible

Options
  • 14-05-2020 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All,

Have taken to cycling over the last year, this time last year bought my first road bike (Cube attain)...from slow beginnings have progressed steadily all year. Want to buy an aero bike, I have a budget of 3.5K but could go to higher say 5K if I felt it was worth it but prefer in or around 3.5-4K.

I have been looking at the PROPEL ADVANCED 1 DISC as seems great value for money.......integrated cockpit, carbon frame(no cables showing), composite wheels, etc. Only reservation is that it's not DI2 which is another jump. but if I say compare to Trek madone, Giant winning with the integrated cockpit.

So my question is, what other aero bikes should I be considering for this budget?

thnx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

You gotta be looking at the Canyon aeroad for sure.

IMO, generally speaking, the massive jump in price for di2 isn't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm looking at a new bike in the same price range (but more race than aero geometry).

I found that you couldn't beat Canyon for the money at RRP (3300 for Di2 Disc), but I've emailed 10 Giant dealers in my area asking what sort of discounts they can do on 2020 models (not yet officially discounted but 2021 is announced and arriving in shops). They've all offered something decent and a few have even gone down towards 4000 which includes carbon wheels and a power meter making it a much better deal than Canyon for the money.

So I'd say to ask around especially if you're willing to take a last year's model Propel

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

I’ve a similar budget myself but not sure on making the jump to aero or not.

I like the look of Canyon Aeroroad and Orbea Orca. The propel I’m not that gone on, it just looks like it wouldn’t be a comfortable ride.

I’m also looking at less aggressive bikes like Canyon Ultimate and Giant TCR advanced SL 2

Anyone any experience on these bikes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i read the thread title and thought 'at that price, you'd want something stiff but compliant'.
    anyway. carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I’ve a similar budget myself but not sure on making the jump to aero or not.

I like the look of Canyon Aeroroad and Orbea Orca. The propel I’m not that gone on, it just looks like it wouldn’t be a comfortable ride.

I’m also looking at less aggressive bikes like Canyon Ultimate and Giant TCR advanced SL 2

Anyone any experience on these bikes?

I think the propel looks a bit of a mess to be honest. I'm on my second tcr advanced pro and by any metric it's a fantastic bike, and the SL will be slightly better. Neighbour has an Ultimate CF slx a couple of years now. A magnificent bike. I don't know who, or how you, would be disappointed after buying one. My wife has a new Aeroad (you're welcome honey), and it's pretty fabulous. It's also not electronic and not disc so it manages to be aero AND light.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

GerJC wrote: »
    I have been looking at the PROPEL ADVANCED 1 DISC as seems great value for money.......integrated cockpit, carbon frame(no cables showing), composite wheels, etc.

If you're doing any races where you're likely to be supported, eg. open races or stage races, then disc wheels are likely to be a bit of faff when you puncture. Could be the difference between a quick wheel change and standing around for a few minutes while someone digs out your specific spare wheel from the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

Anyone take the plunge on anything?

I was trying to check out bikeexchange.ie to see if any good deals going but can’t access without a username and password for some reason.

Advertisement