Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Saddle / Shorts and an abscess

Options
  • 15-05-2020 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Looking for some help for a sensitive issue (literally), since the lockdown I've dusted down the bike and have been cycling with the kids. Say around an hour each day.
    Really enjoying and remembering all the cycling I did around 20 years ago.
    Around 6 years ago I had what called perianal absess which was very sore and needed an operation. Not caused by cycling. No cycling back then
    I've just finished a week of antibiotics from the doc as I thought it was coming back and wanted to get it seen to.
    He mentioned what I had was more than likely a saddle sore sort of a lump under the skin just behind the scrotum (Apologies uccckkk) its mostly gone now.

I use a mountain bike and have I guess a squishy saddle on in it.
    Could any one here recommend a new saddle and say shorts that would elevate any pressure being put in this area but still remain kind of comfortable.

Preferably if I could order online, I'm ok with fitting it myself I think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

There are piles (sorry, couldn't resist...) of info online but, honestly, the best investment you can make is not in a saddle, but in a fitting session so that you are correctly positioned on the bike. It will cost €70+ but it is worth it, especially if you think you are going to stick with cycling. Correctly positioning yourself on your sit bones when on the saddle will remove a lot of issues. Second to that is to buy decent shorts with a good seat pad. If you dont want to go down that route, you are likely to continue to cause irritation with movement between skin and clothing and thus irritation/chaffing and this will quickly lead to sores. Oh, and and an excellent hygiene regime is a must too........no ifs/butts (:)) on this one either. Did I say excellent hygiene regime..?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

depending on exactly where it is, there are saddles split down the middle which could be of assistance.
    as above, a bike fitter will be useful - not necessarily in relation to getting your actual position correct on the bike, moreso that they're probably well used to dealing with saddle/comfort issues as a result of saddle or sitbone shapes.

you can also get creams (generally called chamois cream) which helps comfort in the saddle.
    also, this week, aldi have cycling shorts with the padded inserts (and not just skintight ones, they've looser generic short shaped ones too); but beware of too much padding, it can create extra pressures.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

Start adding dettol laundry sanitiser to your wash.

It really works. Kills off the bacteria. No need for chamois creams.

Bye Bye Bad Bum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Get rid of the squishy saddle as it is likely the cause of the problem. The material bunches and causes chaffing which can become sore/infected. A hard saddle will mean you actually sit on your sit bones and not the soft tissue on your rear end.

Perhaps something like this with a cut out. >> https://www.donedeal.ie/view/24813740

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I could write a book on this.

I suffered from saddle sores/boils/abcesses for years. They are really painful. I tried everything with limited success.

First, shower before you go out on the bike - just enough to clean 'down there'. Get out of your shorts immediately when you get home and have a shower. As mentioned above, use anti bacterial laundry additive (where fabric conditioner goes) and use non-bio detergent. EDIT: Don't ever use fabric conditioner as it reduces the ability of a fabric to absorb moisture/sweat.

Get a saddle with the centre cut out - I use Selle Italia SLR Superflow on both road bikes. Before you buy be sure to measure your sit bones to get the correct size - too small will mean you're sitting on your perineum and too wide will result in excessive chaffing.

I use many different shorts but I found Endura FS260 afforded more comfort than others while I had discomfort but they didn't necessarily prevent a sore.

Everyone is different and while I suffered many sores/abcesses, I had so many recurrences that my GP was concerned about resistance to the antibiotics and he changed them a few times. Finally, he put me on a long term (3 month) course of antibiotic that is often used for chronic acne.

I had my last really bad infection in July 2017 - really painful. When the infection cleared I was left with a 'lump' that would continually discharge. I then needed an operation to remove it. Holy fcuk, recovery was a painful process as the wound was left open to heal. It took about six weeks to become comfortable and another four before I could get back on the bike.

Anyway, that was the last infection. I haven't had one since.

It turns out the underlying cause of my saddle sores was cigarette smoking. Once I gave up the smokes - problem solved. I haven't had a problematic sore since. Yes, I get the odd bit of chaffing but nothing that keeps me off the bike and nothing that has me even thinking visiting my GP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

crosstownk wrote: »
    I could write a book on this.
    you'd have to get really creative with the title...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

you'd have to get really creative with the title...

The Princess and the Pea??

EDIT: And I have photos of the healing journey but nobody wants to see those!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I had my last really bad infection in July 2017 - really painful. When the infection cleared I was left with a 'lump' that would continually discharge. I then needed an operation to remove it. Holy fcuk, recovery was a painful process as the wound was left open to heal. It took about six weeks..

I've been there, had a serious infection tjst required surgery and went through the same healing process afterwords, lost all dignity as you know.

The cleaning regime is most important here plus moisturis the area to prevent it drying it & getting infected from small cuts etc.

EDIT: And I have photos of the healing journey but nobody wants to see those!
    stephen hawking famously said that he was warned that each equation in one of his popular science books, would halve the sales. i suspect a similar rule applies with your photos.

I used to suffer from pilonidal sinus/cysts. Never needed it to be operated on, My GP did explain the procedure exactly as crosstownk outlined but it wasn't bad enough according to the consultant and thankfully haven't experienced it since my mid-late 20's. So if it was painful to even sit in a chair for me I hate to think what it was like for people who had it worse.

Great shout on the shower before and after cycling. Gets rid of any nasties that might thrive in hot sweaty conditions and any fluff from underwear and clothing especially if you have a hairy arse like mine :o

Another good shout on the saddle, I explained my situation to the LBS and they let me try a few different ones. I went with a Fizik one (I'll need to check the exact model but it was also a cutout one) and that made it tolerable to ride when I got a flare up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

I used to suffer from saddle sores.
    1. shorts need to be as tight as possible. they should be uncomfortable standing up.
    2. check leg length. I have major issues as my right leg is 1 inch shorter than my left (yes, major difference and I wear orthotics to correct it).
    3. get a proper solid saddle like a Romin or Toupe Specialized with the varying widths to suit your seat bones.

Aidan Hammond bike fitter sorted me with cleat wedges for the leg lengths issue. my cleat is built out by 20 mm from the shoe on the right. I also use a cork heal wedge with the shoe to even everything out. he also mentioned that my shorts were too big after a bike fit... tight as possible.

and wash your shorts after every spin. I like the Castelli shorts with a KISS pad or Progetti.
    no more saddle sores :p

Advertisement