Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new generation,are rebelling the last generation..

Options
  • 15-05-2020 1:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭

I notice that a lot of young people are rebelling against the PC culture and history is repeating itself, young men and women just tired of being shut down, being told what's appropriate for sensitive ears etc.

Watching movies from the 80's and 90's where anything goes, is said or lauged about.. is an eye opener for the teens and young adults of today.

It's very refreshing to see that humanity has hope and hopefully romance falling in love will reeamerge and men and women will again get their feet back on the ground.

It's enlightening to see, all these social justice warriors and their ilk are not having any influence on the next 20 something's...

Looks like we're in for a social turn around, and I'm delighted to see people are waking up and ignoring the fake news and political correct brigade's...

Thankfully meme's are getting through to people, and pushing the boundaries again..

As the posh people say, it's going to be a jolly good show and here here...

Onwards and upwards...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Great post and well said, it's refreshing to see that not all younger people are millennial snowflakes who go out of they're way to get offended by trivial and ridiculous things that most people wouldn't bat an eyelid at.

Especially after this covid-19 madness, lifes too short to go around whinging or getting offended , i think a substantial amount of people will reevaluate their lives after this and not take anything for granted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Great post and well said, it's refreshing to see that not all younger people are millennial snowflakes who go out of they're way to get offended by trivial and ridiculous things that most people wouldn't bat an eyelid at.

Especially after this covid-19 madness, lifes too short to go around whinging or getting offended , i think a substantial amount of people will reevaluate their lives after this and not take anything for granted.

Thanks for that response, my advantage is I almost read into the PC culture and bull**** myself, and believe it.

And the one good thing about it all, is that teen-agers are no longer homophobic and that hit that nail on the head and they respect women and diversity more, bullying is frowned upon and it's not ****ing cool to be tormenting other kids who are over weight, have a nervous disposition or a bit odd or different.

But bring back satire, romance and emotional intelligence and just because I've an optinion it doesn't give someone a right to take it away from me or bully me into their political agendas or because I don't want to call you by your pronoun's...John will do...

The last 20 year's of PC culture has confused and gaslighted the masses...it's all contradictory and designed by people who are ****ed up themselves...

Especially a lot of sociology lecturers who I have come across and they're off their chucks, just because someone has a doctorate in what ever doesn't give them a right to instill their confusion and resentments in the universe...

I met a few on the dating scene and it's an eye opener, absolute wrecks...

Imagine them steering a ship... straight into a whirlpool... sometimes a jagged iceberg...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Racist jokes and comments were rampant in the mainstream media when I was a kid. Thankfully no longer the case.
    Social media is a relatively new format/medium so it is going through growing pains. It's not teenagers came up with 'triggered', 'snowflake' and 'SJW', it's the old guard using the dimwitted on social media to quieten and shut down criticism IMO.
    The millennials have it tougher than I did IMO. You could reasonable expect to buy a house when you got married and renting was a transitional thing.
    We often confuse access to more disposal product and other things we didn't have to luxury. It's not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

'Snowflake', 'SJW', 'PC gone mad', 'feminazis', 'Virtue Signalling'.

The nomenclature of the terminally dim.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Progressives and the modern left were taken over by Zealots and Jesuitical types.

People who would have been Mother Superiors and Bishops in decades past and tjust like the predecessors in the Catholic Church they went too far and people have snapped under the pressure to conform and know ones place.

Hope a less priggish and righteous left will emerge once again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

jonnny68 wrote: »

Ah yes how dare people be offended by things I'm not offended by!

When did the death of romance become a thing spouted by this nonsense crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
    Take a bow for the new revolution
    Smile and grin at the change all around
    Pick up my guitar and play
    Just like yesterday
    Then I'll get on my knees and pray
    We don't get fooled again
    Don't get fooled again, no, no

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

Danzy wrote: »
    Progressives and the modern left were taken over by Zealots and Jesuitical types.

People who would have been Mother Superiors and Bishops in decades past and tjust like the predecessors in the Catholic Church they went too far and people have snapped under the pressure to conform and know ones place.

Hope a less priggish and righteous left will emerge once again.
    I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
    Take a bow for the new revolution
    Smile and grin at the change all around
    Pick up my guitar and play
    Just like yesterday
    Then I'll get on my knees and pray
    We don't get fooled again
    Don't get fooled again, no, no

In the meantime, until the pendulum swings back I truly hope that they stay the feck away from my red meat and the farmers that produce it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"Rebelling" thorough the medium of meme.

That's cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I see a lot more people complaining about these things than actually behaving like one.

Yes, some people are up their own holes but it seems that more people go out of their way to seek them out and get angry about it.

Life’s too short for that ****.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭Cobalt17

nthclare wrote: »
    I notice that a lot of young people are rebelling against the PC culture and history is repeating itself, young men and women just tired of being shut down, being told what's appropriate for sensitive ears etc.

Watching movies from the 80's and 90's where anything goes, is said or lauged about.. is an eye opener for the teens and young adults of today.

It's very refreshing to see that humanity has hope and hopefully romance falling in love will reeamerge and men and women will again get their feet back on the ground.

It's enlightening to see, all these social justice warriors and their ilk are not having any influence on the next 20 something's...

Looks like we're in for a social turn around, and I'm delighted to see people are waking up and ignoring the fake news and political correct brigade's...

Thankfully meme's are getting through to people, and pushing the boundaries again..

Onwards and upwards...

To be honest, I think it was only really an age group spanning maybe 5 years that were vehemently PC, maybe those born 1995-1999. I went to Maynooth in 2010 as an undergrad, and it was a very liberal campus in the sense that everybody was for LGBT rights etc., but we all still laughed at one another and nothing or no one was off limits. I genuinely think that we were less fractured then, than we are now.

Went back for my PhD in 2016 and shortly into the cycle, first years began protesting that the coffee shop in the arts block had a sign up making fun of mentally disabled people. The sign in question said: “OCD - Obsessive Coffee Drinker”. I lost faith after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I'd say " Ilsa she-wolf of the SS" would raise a few eyebrows allright.

Odhinn wrote: »
    I'd say " Ilsa she-wolf of the SS" would raise a few eyebrows allright.

Are you suggesting that I research llsa she wolf of the SS lol and head off down a rabbit hole thats like Pan's Labyrinth without a lamp or food...

No thanks Odhinn lol

"Rebelling" thorough the medium of meme.

That's cute.

Depends on your version of cute, sounds a bit iffy if you ask me.

That's a strange response to a post.

There's a bang of.... off it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Are you suggesting that I research llsa she wolf of the SS lol and head off down a rabbit hole thats like Pan's Labyrinth without a lamp or food...

No thanks Odhinn lol

Its a lost tribute to the art of the film maker.

No, honestly.

LRNM wrote: »
    This is total BS. Stop embarrassing yourself.

I don't understand your position here, what's your post meat by ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Depends on your version of cute, sounds a bit iffy if you ask me.

That's a strange response to a post.

There's a bang of.... off it

Bang of what, can you form a word?

Pretty weak rebellion TBF.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

The cycle that will continue for 100s of years to come.

People who are in their 40s to 70s now. They were once at the forefront of "rebellion" too. Anti nuclear, pro drugs, pro recycling, anti elite. Someone in the 1990s living in trees in Wicklow during the eco warrier protests, is probably in their early 40s with two kids and browses the specialbuys in Aldi. Now they're the mainstream, mundane, bar the few that continued on.

And in 20 years, those who are activists now, will disappear into the global, homogenous, 9-5 with a mortgage world, and be the target of rebellion, just as happened to the generations before them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mdudy

Cobalt17 wrote: »
    Went back for my PhD in 2016 and shortly into the cycle, first years began protesting that the coffee shop in the arts block had a sign up making fun of mentally disabled people. The sign in question said: “OCD - Obsessive Coffee Drinker”. I lost faith after that.

Do you think it's acceptable for a sign to make fun of 'mentally disabled people'?

Never-mind, you probably do, given your homophobia in other posts. Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Onwards and upwards...

I know i am not really in touch with what's going on so i am interested in examples of what you say.
    I hope you right but i have not noticed as i have seen little new happening in recent years...

• Advertisement

So, anyway, this 'Isla she wolf of the SS'..where might one find this?..

Nevermind..found it..

Are we sure this didn't inspire elements in modern feminist circles?,..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

So, anyway, this 'Isla she wolf of the SS'..where might one find this?..

It's one of the better known "naziploitation" flicks from a fad that lasted from about the late 60s to the early 80s. They were mainly Italian made and usually featured gratuitous nudity and sadism.

sabat wrote: »
    It's one of the better known "naziploitation" flicks from a fad that lasted from about the late 60s to the early 80s. They were mainly Italian made and usually featured gratuitous nudity and sadism.

I have led a sheltered existence obviously..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I have led a sheltered existence obviously..

See also nunsploitation, WIP (women in prison), Mondo etc. All equally tasteless genres, although I do recommend the exploitica films of Jess Franco for anyone looking for retro vintage interior design ideas...

sabat wrote: »
    See also nunsploitation, WIP (women in prison), Mondo etc. All equally tasteless genres, although I do recommend the exploitica films of Jess Franco for anyone looking for retro vintage interior design ideas...

A man of culture obviously..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭Cobalt17

mdudy wrote: »
    Do you think it's acceptable for a sign to make fun of 'mentally disabled people'?

Never-mind, you probably do, given your homophobia in other posts. Yikes.

Nope, but OCD isn’t a disability. Nor was this sign making fun of it.

Yes, stop making stuff up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭BarnardsLoop

Terminally outraged, ironically. Amazing Tediously trite how the people who screech loudest about others being offended are themselves perpetually offended by people not talking and thinking the way they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Terminally outraged, ironically. Amazing Tediously trite how the people who screech loudest about others being offended are themselves perpetually offended by people not talking and thinking the way they do.

Its frank grimes (or grimey as he liked to be called ) logic. You have bormally pretty stable people who have heen fine with everything for years, then you have them witnessing things that are so delusional and at the start going ‘hah what nutjobs’ but then they see around them that people go along with this, with it being adopted as policy and formerly respected news titles promoting this view and it just sends them into a ‘the world has gone mad, why can nobody see this’ frenzy.

Its not the correct response to these things, but its human nature when the world is busy pushing for changes that are completely at odds with decent morality, our own expectations of safety and to which seems counterproductive to almost anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mdudy

Cobalt17 wrote: »
    Nope, but OCD isn’t a disability. Nor was this sign making fun of it.

Yes, stop making stuff up.

It is.

Making what up? 'limp-wristed' is homophobic. Idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The most ironic moment of all is when they stop the bleating just long enough to comment on how it would be better if everybody else was just like them and just got on with things without taking offence.

Advertisement