Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Watching?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

I'm watching WWF 1997 (Raw and ppvs) and it's a blast. OK, the in ring in WCW is significantly better and more varied across the card (outside of main events) but WWF had it's own charm. Interesting stories intersecting, they still believed their audience could remember previous feuds so you still got guys who feuded before fighting each other, and you had obvious rising stars on the card, you had that Shawn/Bret feud that is always present even when they're busy with other guys. Short shows, hot crowds. Not everything is perfect, but at the very least the shows were newsworthy or an easy watch.

I'm watching WWF 1997 (Raw and ppvs) and it's a blast. OK, the in ring in WCW is significantly better and more varied across the card (outside of main events) but WWF had it's own charm. Interesting stories intersecting, they still believed their audience could remember previous feuds so you still got guys who feuded before fighting each other, and you had obvious rising stars on the card, you had that Shawn/Bret feud that is always present even when they're busy with other guys. Short shows, hot crowds. Not everything is perfect, but at the very least the shows were newsworthy or an easy watch.

My favourite year in WWF history. As you say the in ring isn't brilliant (especially a lot of the tag division with DOA, Godwins, Headbangers etc) but the show from week to week is a breeze to watch. When they introduced the new Raw set (around March) it felt like a completely different show from years previous.

I was actually doing a watch through of Nitros and Raws (from the night Nitro started) + Smackdown/Thunder and the PPVs, the last few years on the network and my nostalgia has definitely worn off for 98 and 99 WWF. So much Russo bollox through out the show and (even though I loved it as a kid), I really don't enjoy Austin matches from that era. Fight up the entrance way, into the crowd, around the ring for 15 mins and have the last few minutes in the ring. His matches are much better pre the 1997 neck injury and when he returned in 2000.

97 and 2000 WWF still hold up for me though.

Continuing my rewatch of 2000 WWF on the network.

I'd implore anyone that has the network to watch the main event of the 7th of February Raw. HHH, Xpac and the Radicalz Vs The Rock, Cactus Jack, Too cool and Rikishi. The crowd is insane for the whole match!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Continuing my rewatch of 2000 WWF on the network.

I'd implore anyone that has the network to watch the main event of the 7th of February Raw. HHH, Xpac and the Radicalz Vs The Rock, Cactus Jack, Too cool and Rikishi. The crowd is insane for the whole match!

This was Kanes return if Im correct. Yeah red hot crowd and the popped huge for Kane. Always loved the camera angle when the lights went out.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    This was Kanes return if Im correct. Yeah red hot crowd and the popped huge for Kane. Always loved the camera angle when the lights went out.

Exactly right mate. Came back with Paul Bearer and his reverse gear (black where the red was and red where the black was).

The Smackdown before that had Benoit, Malenko, Saturn, and Eddies in ring WWF debuts (they all lost, would love to have seen boards react if around back then watching that :D ) Just feels like the in ring improves so much in that one night compared to 98/99 WWF. The Eddie, I think dislocated elbow/wrist by the looks of it, is nasty though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I started a rewatch of Raws and PPVs from Jan 97. It is so good by today’s standards. The crowd were crazy hot and it felt like they had several hot storylines interweaving and happening at the same time.

I made it up to Canadian Stampede but cancelled my network sub due to pure dissolution to the current product. I might re-sub to catch up on the old product.

I would have loved to have seen a fully fit Brian Pillman in 96/97. You could tell he was in so much pain just running the ropes with his bad ankle. A proper feud between him and Austin would have been brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I would have loved to have seen a fully fit Brian Pillman in 96/97. You could tell he was in so much pain just running the ropes with his bad ankle. A proper feud between him and Austin would have been brilliant.

Ah he was just coming into his own as a character when the accident happened. He was great in WCW as Flyin Brian. Such a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,450 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What would ye recommend for a list of the best mania matches ? Be nice to get in the mania mood with some classics

Done a hooked on wrestling quiz last night and they had a round on name the mania number. I'd remember years but would struggle on mania numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I have a love for Mania 8.

My first Mania to watch but Piper v Hart is great as is Flair and Macho.

Watching the build up you'll be shocked as to why Sid is the heel and Hogan is the face. Its actually baffling!!!!

I enjoyed Mania 24 also Finlay v JBL Belfast brawl was a hoot. MITB, Flair/HBK, Mayweather/Big Show and Edge/Taker.

Was a great show!

Mania 21 HBK/Angle
    Mania 17 is just glorious if only for gimmick battle Royal.

Currently watching Mania 5, no real standout matches but have not watched the Mega Powers explode yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

On top of everything else thought I'd go and watch a random Wrestlemania, it lands on Mania 28. I remember Rock vs Cena, the Taker vs Triple H HIAC and the Bryan/Sheamus debacle. I swear the rest of this show must have happened while I was asleep because I remember none of it. Randy Orton wrestles Kane in a plodding 2 star special and I feel like I'm having a fever dream. What in the name of God is this card? I can name every match from like 16,17,18,19,20 and 21 and most from 22 and 23 but then things get a bit murky. But this card? It feels made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Sirsok wrote: »
    I have a love for Mania 8.

My first Mania to watch but Piper v Hart is great as is Flair and Macho....

Watch on vhs too? :p

51Y8C7AFZCL._AC_SY445_.jpg

Advertisement