Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is regular garden ivy even deliberately grown on a trellis

Options
  • 15-05-2020 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

We have new house. Big garden, landscaped courtyard type rear garden with paving, rasied beds backing on to neighbours. Die to home being idle for a few years ivy has infested everything.

It is all over Trellis - is there any conceibable way it was deliberater on the trellis?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

diabhail wrote: »
    We have new house. Big garden, landscaped courtyard type rear garden with paving, rasied beds backing on to neighbours. Die to home being idle for a few years ivy has infested everything.

It is all over Trellis - is there any conceibable way it was deliberater on the trellis?

Once Ivy gets a hold it will take over very quickly.

Some people like it and do grow it on purpose though.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 diabhail

Some of the runner "trunks2 are maybe 2 or 3 cm wide. It just everywhere, walls, carpeting the flower beds, over the trellis. I just think I will attempt to take most away ...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I hated ivy until the bindweed and mares tail infestations started.

Now I think it's the least worst rampant infestation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Lumen wrote: »
    I hated ivy until the bindweed and mares tail infestations started.

Now I think it's the least worst rampant infestation.

Add Holly and briars to the list with 10 years of neglect and that's what I've been fighting since moving 4 years ago, finally getting there though. Some of the Ivy on the trees was so thick it had to be cut with a bush saw. I pass a house regularly enough where they are deliberately growing it up the gable and I am so tempted to call in and try and explain the trouble they are causing for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I've noticed alot of Ivy around the garden this year ,it seems to growing alot this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Zardoz wrote: »
    I've noticed alot of Ivy around the garden this year ,it seems to growing alot this year.

Ivy is a curse.
    Has killed many trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Rodin wrote: »
    Ivy is a curse.
    Has killed many trees.

Yes ,its a nuisance ,have to keep on top of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Has grown and blocked out the light on some of mine.
    So perhaps it hasn't directly....

Rodin wrote: »
    Ivy is a curse.
    Has killed many trees.

Ivy doesn't ever kill trees.
    The single most important species for wildlife in Ireland, I'd say, such damage done by well intentioned folk cutting it at the base of trees.

Granted if its in your garden, as it is in my mine, it always needs a measure of control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

old common ivy has been growing about our place for years and while it can be annoying from time to time its not as bad a vine weed or bindweed.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Ivy doesn't ever kill trees.
    The single most important species for wildlife in Ireland, I'd say, such damage done by well intentioned folk cutting it at the base of trees.

Granted if its in your garden, as it is in my mine, it always needs a measure of control.

Sorry but have to pull you up on this.
    I've seen it kill plenty of trees, as Rodin says and even Magicbastarder's link says if it gets up into the canopy it out competes the leaves and kills it.
    Ivy can restrict a branches ability to grow as it can act just like when a tree tie is left on too long.
    It also adds significantly to the weight of each branch so they are more susceptible to breaking off in storms.
    Ivy should be removed from all trees, cutting it at the base is nothing to do with being well intentioned, it is sound horticultural advice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how does it get out *past* the tree's own leaves to starve it of light?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

You clearly haven't seen it affect hawthorns, apple trees, and entire sections of beech hedging like i have.

I'll put it another obscure way. Do you think that Ash developed an open long branched leaves at the tips habit because God made it that way or because it was a defence against it's greatest enemy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

GreeBo wrote: »
    Once Ivy gets a hold it will take over very quickly.

Some people like it and do grow it on purpose though.:eek:
    We have it on one wall and kept neat and dont let it grow over and its lovely. One of our neighbours behind lets it grow over and it gets onto my shed which is a nighmare.

On the killing trees bit, it's outcompeting a leyllandii hedge in my parents house, tree is dead anywhere there is ivy due to lack of light, even cutting the ivy just exposed dead tree.

On the killing trees bit, it's outcompeting a leyllandii hedge in my parents house
    you say that like it's a bad thing.

you say that like it's a bad thing.

Well it is, the very tightly trimmed hedge has dead spots all over it.
    The only positive is that the ivy covers the top and prevents the hedge from growing any higher.

Well it is, the very tightly trimmed hedge has dead spots all over it.
    you sure they're not trimming it too tightly? cutting past the green? i've seen this regularly on leylandii hedges with no ivy.

you sure they're not trimming it too tightly? cutting past the green? i've seen this regularly on leylandii hedges with no ivy.

100%, I do the trimming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

100%, I do the trimming!

Why dont you just cut the ivy at the base to stop it growing?

iamtony wrote: »
    Why dont you just cut the ivy at the base to stop it growing?

I keep it trimmed on the face, it's useful in the top to prevent height growth.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

diabhail wrote: »

Not on a trellis, but I've planted a few varieties of decorative ivy against a very shaded concrete wall on the side entrance to the house where nothing else seems to thrive. Much nicer than the bare wall in my opinion and a good habitat for insect life. The decorative stuff isn't anywhere near as rampant as the wild varieties, though you still need to cut it back a few times a year.

I've got some far more invasive common ivy coming in from a shop car park next door that something else again. The owners are fine with me trimming it back which needs to be done regularly, even with all the thick stems cut through at the base. Whatever about trees, if it gets into roof guttering it can do quite a bit of damage.

Advertisement