Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on smaller areas

Options
  • 15-05-2020 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Just looking to get any info on some of the smaller villages in Kildare! I can find so many great threads about some of the bigger areas such as Sallins and Naas but only much older threads mentioning areas such as Allenwood, Kilmeage, Carbury etc.

We are looking to move from straffan and there are so many nice detached bungalows in these areas but we no so little about them.

Any insights/recommendations/things to be wary would be hugely appreciated, first time buyer nerves are in full swing!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

KellieC wrote: »
    Just looking to get any info on some of the smaller villages in Kildare! I can find so many great threads about some of the bigger areas such as Sallins and Naas but only much older threads mentioning areas such as Allenwood, Kilmeage, Carbury etc.

We are looking to move from straffan and there are so many nice detached bungalows in these areas but we no so little about them.

Any insights/recommendations/things to be wary would be hugely appreciated, first time buyer nerves are in full swing!

Do you have a particular area in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 KellieC

Do you have a particular area in mind?

We are possibly torn between a house in Allenwood and Caragh. Caragh seems closer to everything but then the noise from mondello is a worry too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

KellieC wrote: »
    We are possibly torn between a house in Allenwood and Caragh. Caragh seems closer to everything but then the noise from mondello is a worry too.

Cool! You should take a look around Robertstown too in that case, are you after the detached rural house? Try and stay off the R409 or R403 (as in that you don't pull out your front door onto the main road).

Allenwood has a bus which Caragh doesn't but there are alot more people in Caragh and nicer centra, school and cookes is really good! Also Caragh is much closer to Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Carragh and its environs would be the choice due to its easy access to Naas & Newbridge and also to Sallins.

It also has a good mix of locals and those who have moved out from Dublin suburbs.

Mondello noise is background a few days of the year. You barely hear the standard "day in a racing car" business that they have at the weekends - only noise comes from the bigger racedays which are few and far between

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

We moved near to Kilmeague 3 years ago and don't regret it, the main downside is you need to drive but once thats ticked off you are ok.

We are 10-15 into Naas/Kildare/Newbridge/Clane, so if we need something thats not available locally its not far to travel, pre covid would often go there for take-aways / nights out etc...

Locals Shops/butchers etc.... is great, i don't go to the Pub so can't recommend any, many local sports clubs GAA etc...

It is missing a GYM and Pharmacy but cant think of any negatives,

• Advertisement

silver2020 wrote: »
    Mondello noise is background a few days of the year. You barely hear the standard "day in a racing car" business that they have at the weekends - only noise comes from the bigger racedays which are few and far between

Really ?
    I'm often wondered about that.
    My old house in naas is 7km as the crow flies to mondello and I could just about here it some weekends so thought it would be crazy in carragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

It probably made sense years ago but just looking at the prices on Daft I'd rather shoot myself in the head than pay that kind of money for houses in any of those places.

You're saving hardly anything and losing a lot. An awful lot.

Those would be my thoughts on it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

When we were looking you could easily add 100k to the price for nearer Clane/Naas/Newbridge and a smaller site, now we have a 3000sq ft house, 1 acre garden and less than the price of a semi d in Naas, all towns have bad areas just the bigger the town the less % the bad area is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

2ndcoming wrote: »
    It probably made sense years ago but just looking at the prices on Daft I'd rather shoot myself in the head than pay that kind of money for houses in any of those places.

You're saving hardly anything and losing a lot. An awful lot.

Those would be my thoughts on it anyway.

But it really depends on what you want and not everyone has the same requirements.

I'd absolutely hate to live in a housing estate - anywhere.

I'd pay a premium to live in a rural area as that's what I and herself want. Thankfully we didn't have to pay a premium to get what we wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Living in Cork city a long time (come from Dublin) but not an option to move to Dublin as too expensive for what we would like. Thinking about Kildare as not far to Dublin (to see the family of a weekend). Don't know Kildare at all, but we would like somewhere where there is a big nature influence; parks, rivers, woods preferably. Can anyone recommend some areas please? Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

Oleander wrote: »
    Thinking about Kildare as not far to Dublin (to see the family of a weekend).

Useful insight into Kilcullen, adjacent to M9 with plenty of sporty, artistic and social groups to join. 10 mins to Naas/Newbridge/Kildare Village for larger shopping days. Big growth from 2000 to 2008 and most people stayed. 30 mins from Red Cow on average..... (25 at present!).

https://kilcullenbridge.blogspot.com/?m=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4 KellieC

Thanks so much everyone for the feedback it’s so appreciated. Will Defo look at Robertstown and Kilcullen aswell! RE the house prices I see a massive difference compared to new bridge and naas for what we’re looking for so we don’t mind being a bit further out!

Advertisement