Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maltese being left alone for 5 hours one day a week - bad idea?

• 15-05-2020 6:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭

Considering a Maltese puppy for our family. Researching now so that we can start our search after Covid19 next year. Never had a dog before. Would be able to make arrangements for the first six months or so but then would need to leave the dog at home alone for 5 hours on one or max two days a week.
    Everything I've read suggests that this breed can suffer separation anxiety and I don't want to make a bad choice that means dog suffers. Is this level of home alone time too much for this breed after six months? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Absolutely no reason why it should become a problem op, as long as you use those first months to gradually get pup used to tiny absences at first, gradually extending those absences until you can head off to the shops for an hour, then 2, and so on. You're in an ideal position to do this with the buffer period you have!
    I'd suggest getting a puppy playpen, and setting up a den for puppy to get used to spending safe time alone in. Some great info here... https://www.dogstardaily.com/training/ch-2-raising-puppy

Good on you for doing your research now, it'll really stand to you :) I think Maltese are smashing little dogs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭Sorbet

Great news, thanks for that and for sharing the additional information. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I have a Maltese and have often had to leave him alone for four or five hours and he’s been grand. He usually just falls asleep until I get back. From my experience they are a very social dog but are also grand with the odd alone time and adapt well to change. They’re a gorgeous dog op! Good choice

Brilliant stuff. Ticked all the boxes for us in our research to date but wasn't sure what constituted too much alone time from the websites. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭alroley

I have a maltese and he is fine with being left alone for a few hours. He just goes to sleep or lays in his bed.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

Walk him on that day hes going to be left alone then he'll be tired

Advertisement