Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Welder

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Usually the max is 160 amps before you need to uprate to a 16amp connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭kilk

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Usually the max is 160 amps before you need to uprate to a 16amp connection.

Thanks for your reply.

On a related topic a neighbour gave me his old welder, it's a transformer type, very heavy to lift with one hand. It's approx 40 - 50 years old. Works great but it dims / flickers the lights / tv etc in the house and neighbouring houses also, even when using 2.5 rods. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭tedimc

kilk wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

On a related topic a neighbour gave me his old welder, it's a transformer type, very heavy to lift with one hand. It's approx 40 - 50 years old. Works great but it dims / flickers the lights / tv etc in the house and neighbouring houses also, even when using 2.5 rods. Any suggestions?

It sounds like the local transformer can't handle it. Any idea of the power rating of the welder?

I would be cautious over using something like this if it is drawing that much power. Also - it may not be good for some other devices in your home (or neighbors) if you are welding for a while.

Is your house an older house, with your neighbors all fed from the same pole/transformer? i'm not sure there is much you can do yourself apart from using a smaller welder.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭kilk

tedimc wrote: »
    It sounds like the local transformer can't handle it. Any idea of the power rating of the welder?

I would be cautious over using something like this if it is drawing that much power. Also - it may not be good for some other devices in your home (or neighbors) if you are welding for a while.

Is your house an older house, with your neighbors all fed from the same pole/transformer? i'm not sure there is much you can do yourself apart from using a smaller welder.

I think I'll dump it, not sure what make or anything else is on it apart from a lot of surface rust. I can just make out two readings, one either side of a switch, 220 to the left and 350 to the right. I opened the plug to discover a cut off gutter bolt instead of a fuse! Neighbour didn't put it there, not sure where he got it from. It's a great little welder though all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭tedimc

What rating circuit have you got it plugged into? Has it ever tripped an MCB?

I would be wary of it, but if you have the proper protections in place - like a fuse ;-) ,it should still be ok.

If it is run off a normal socket circuit and your MCBs are functioning correctly, it would be worth getting onto the ESB to get them to look into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

kilk wrote: »
    I opened the plug to discover a cut off gutter bolt instead of a fuse!

Sorry, don't mean to derail your thread but that reminds me of when my father got some steel fabricators in to do so work for him years ago. They were a couple of old boys, real old school. I was looking at their set up and I knew it was a powerful welder by the size of it yet was fitted with a standard 13 amp plug. I asked them what kind of a fuse was in it- the answer I got was "gutter bolt"! Thanks for sharing!

Advertisement