Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Dell Studio 1737 will in work in Ireland

• 15-05-2020 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭

As title said

Relative moved back from US a while ago and parents found Dell Studio 1737 laptop belonging to them. Comes with charger and American plug. Also another charger with standard Irish plug.

Have not turned it on fear of wrecking it, wouldn't think battery is charged.

Should it work if I use adapter for us plug or would I need to order charger for it with Irish plug,and would it work?

Only giving it to parents if I can get it working so just for browsing and zoom or Skype

Thanks

Comments

check the charger - it should be able to handle 220 volts no issue. should say 220v on the charger somewhere

but being honest the cpu in that laptop is completely under-powered for use with todays applications

you can try it with zoom or skype but may not work too well

you will need to use the 32 bit versions most likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Thought as much it was old but trying to set up for parents for zoom, Skype. Currently using android box

I have the below charges would any of these work

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QH2SUv2fYwXDECXS7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ka2

Thought as much it was old but trying to set up for parents for zoom, Skype. Currently using android box

I have the below charges would any of these work

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QH2SUv2fYwXDECXS7
    The one on the left (PA-3E) would come with the 1737, I know because I had one about 10 years ago. So it’ll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

That left charger brick will work. Rated to 220V and CE marked. Don't use the right one.

I had one of these also, it was passed from my Dad to me then to my Mam. Gave up completely 2-3 years ago. Might just about handle basic browsing and webcam, assuming charger is OK.

If a desktop would work for the space you can get some really good deals on used commercial units with very decent spec on adverts or amazon. I swapped my Mam to a newish Dell SFF Vostro (or Optiplex?) with an i7, 8gb RAM and 1TB HDD, came with a monitor peripherals and all for about €200.

Cheers for the reply

One on the left has American plug so take it I have to use adapter?

They have desktop pc in attic and I've attached webcam to minix android box for zoom calls on TV. Works okay

Was thinking laptop be easier to use but will see how i get it working or recycle it

• Advertisement

Got it charged using charger from my laptop

Got windows 10 installed but in built camera is awful

Any webcam suggestions

Advertisement