Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When did shops become stores??

• 15-05-2020 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭

Not hugely important in the greater scheme of things, but all sorts of lobbyists, representatives, commentators, and presenters in the media over the last few weeks talking about the 'stores' reopening next week... Hardware Stores, Homeware Stores, Clothes Stores, everything except the Food Store really.

WTF??? What happened the humble shop?

Comments

Yankese is supplanting Hiberno-English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Since Dunnes.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Since Dunnes.
    That was always an outlier.

OP, you're right. It's a disgrace, and people should be ashamed of themselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Hardware stores were always called that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Roches..

British Home..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Roches Stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Roches Stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Not hugely important in the greater scheme of things, but all sorts of lobbyists, representatives, commentators, and presenters in the media over the last few weeks talking about the 'stores' reopening next week... Hardware Stores, Homeware Stores, Clothes Stores, everything except the Food Store really.

Ireland is becoming mini USA, I suppose it's the disadvantage of sharing the same language.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

When did films become movies? Toilets become bathrooms? Coleslaw become ****ing slaw?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

So long as we don't start having corner stores or bodegas we'll be half grand at the very least.

Stay tunes for more on this after this commercial break brought to you in part by 'Jaysus, have you nothing else to complain about'.

And now a word from our sponsors.

Over to you for local news Patsy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

same time as basil became baysil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

On Crimecall last month a Guard said that a “convenience store” in Dublin was recently robbed.

F*ck that sh!t, it’s a shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Around the same time buns became cupcakes.

They’re buns.

Buns.

Dammit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Roches..

British Home..
    Roches Stores.
    Roches Stores, started in the so called rebel county? Yeah, right! Michael Collins was the biggest traitor to this country!

BHS? Yeah, very Irish.

Ye West Brit-Americans sicken me!!

Answer me this! An bhfuil cead agam dul go dtí an siopa, más é do thoil é?!?!? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Gerry T

When did films become movies? Toilets become bathrooms? Coleslaw become ****ing slaw?

Movies?? you mean "the pictures"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

Fanny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭phormium

Ah now cupcakes are dressed up buns, a bun is something with a few sultanas in it or some jam and coconut on top. A cupcake should have a much fancier topping altogether with a bit of a buttercream swirl going on at the very least :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

It was around the same time that "people" became "folk" but a while after "proud" became "humble".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Or worse still "rest rooms", I was in Dublin Castle a couple of years ago when an Italian women came up to me and asked if I knew where the toilets were, I glanced around and saw a sign for "rest rooms" and pointed it out to her, she looked puzzled and said that she had never heard the term before. Why did they feel to pander to Americans? Everyone knows what "Toilet" means, even someone with no English. I've even heard Americans going a step further and just using the word "Rooms". I make a point of always asking where the toilets are when I'm in the U.S just to make them uncomfortable

endacl wrote: »
    Around the same time buns became cupcakes.

They’re buns.

Buns.

Dammit.

We called them."queen cakes" while I had friends who called them "fairy cakes".

• Advertisement

It Halle Ed when our island detached from Europe and floated westward ho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

People worry about the stupidest things with regard to American influence. It's the #russiagatechinadidit nonsense that we need to ignore.

I bet stores are an old English word. High School for instance is the name that existed before secondary school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

same time as basil became baysil

The first time I heard it being pronounced ‘erbs was by Darina Allen, same with baysil. Scons, etc, all sorts of weird enunciations.

Let’s just be grateful Washing Closet never caught on.

(I’ve just searched for the term, WC stands for Water Closet... :o)

Funnily enough in the states they use the term shop to describe a warehouse or shed, I.e. what we would call stores.

Think the term store originated in the states as the shops could only stock long life canned goods during the migration from east to west. Twas before fridges, which was the style at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

Jayz, this thread's on fire with nutters. Haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

LeYouth wrote: »
    Jayz, this thread's on fire with nutters. Haha.

Didnt see it up to now but to be fair, it is now that you are here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

FVP3 wrote: »
    Didnt see it up to now but to be fair, it is now that you are here.

Hah, well it takes one to know one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Ireland is becoming mini USA, I suppose it's the disadvantage of sharing the same language.

In fairness, a lot of their culture was brought over from Ireland, so we're just getting some of that back after it's been mixed up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Roches Stores.

With Demenhams gone could we see Roches back?

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Gerry T wrote: »

They're fillums ffs.

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It happened just after lorries became trucks.

and "personnel" became "human resources"

oh and black become person of colo(u)r.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Seamai wrote: »
    We called them."queen cakes" while I had friends who called them "fairy cakes".

BUNS

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Around the same time when your aunt became your uncle.

endacl wrote: »
    BUNS

:mad:

QUEEN CAKES! Let's just say I know a thing or two about queens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

phormium wrote: »
    Ah now cupcakes are dressed up buns, a bun is something with a few sultanas in it or some jam and coconut on top. A cupcake should have a much fancier topping altogether with a bit of a buttercream swirl going on at the very least :)

No, it's a plain bun or a bun with icing.

A rice krispies bun if you're feeling adventurous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Great question, & one that really annoys me too!

We've always gone shopping in Ireland, always gone to the shops, shops will be closed on the Bank Holiday, all shops open early for the New Year sales, I'm taking the children to the shops, shall I go to the corner shop?

Always shops, until now :(

...and I will continue to call them shops, and I will continue to go shopping, I will also use the elevator Lift to go up to the next floor of the shopping mall centre, I will then pick up my car in the Car lot Park and drive home, making sure not to clip the sidewalk pavement as I turn the corner beside that truck lorry .....

Bloody Americanisms should be stamped out at every opportunity, otherwise we'll lose everything.

Math is another one that's creeping in, and Pat Kenny is one very guilty presenter in the promotion of Math (instead of the indeginous Maths)✓

Grrrrrr :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Yup its all very sad.

The slow but evident presence of American slang has been here for a while. People who have never been to the US with inexplicable semi-American accents or slang. I've seen people on boards say things like sneakers, soda, sweaters etc. Be yourself. Stop pretending. Cop on. Its ok. Its ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Puppies is another one.

They're pups FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

And Pharmacy is another one.

They're chemists FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Yankese is supplanting Hiberno-English.

As has been happening since the invention of the Talkie in 1927.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

In Seinfeld, George Costanza says Rochelle, Rochelle is a *film*, not a movie.

What’s the deal with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭fran38

And saying "like' in the middle of a sentence to embelish what one is saying. "And there I was like, in the middle of the road". And what about being super excited. You cant turn it up to 11, you're either excited or not. Whats that all about (i was just about to write WTF is that all about but thats another Americanism).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭fran38

Oh ya, how people tend to upspeak at the end of a sentence, tending It to sound more like a question. I wanna (see what i did there?) bitch slap them right in the gob for being so ****ing smug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Math is another one that's creeping in, and Pat Kenny is one very guilty presenter in the promotion of Math (instead of the indeginous Maths)✓

That's true! Pat Kenny always talking about "doing the math" :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Dickie Rock the bald wig wearing ******d who started it!

From the candy STORE on the corner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

KungPao wrote: »
    In Seinfeld, George Costanza says Rochelle, Rochelle is a *film*, not a movie.

What’s the deal with that?

Because it was an art house depiction of a young woman’s erotic journey from Milan to Minsk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

About five years ago Radio Nova started calling Cinemas 'Movie Theatres" in their weekly movie film review, which really got my goat, so I rang them and tried to correct the young lady on the phone, but she wouldn't have have it, Movie Theatres they are, that's what we call them here. Maybe/hopefully it was just a fad and they've gone back to Cinema now?

I should have asked were they based in the States :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I'm surprised at the demise of "at" as "stay at home" became "stay home". Idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Seamai wrote: »
    Or worse still "rest rooms", I was in Dublin Castle a couple of years ago when an Italian women came up to me and asked if I knew where the toilets were, I glanced around and saw a sign for "rest rooms" and pointed it out to her, she looked puzzled and said that she had never heard the term before. Why did they feel to pander to Americans? Everyone knows what "Toilet" means, even someone with no English. I've even heard Americans going a step further and just using the word "Rooms". I make a point of always asking where the toilets are when I'm in the U.S just to make them uncomfortable

You mean the jacks!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Gerry T wrote: »

Fillums .

When the **** did takeaway become takeout?

Friends, that's when

• Advertisement
Advertisement