Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When did shops become stores??

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭rapul

Fock off who cares

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

Diapers instead of nappies, and cookies instead of biscuits (my personal pet hate)
    And fanny for butt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

rapul wrote: »
    Fock off who cares

You cared enough to comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I wonder if Americans blame other English speaking nations when their form of English evolves?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I wonder if Americans blame other English speaking nations when their form of English evolves?

It's likely that they have some sad fcukers too, so - yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Takeaway is an overpriced lager absorbing edible material not a point of interest in a topic of discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Wanderer19 wrote: »
    Buns dont have icing/buttercream, fairy cakes do.

Cupcakes have replaced fairy cakes.

Muffins have replaced buns.

BUNSBUNSBUNSBUNSBUNSBUNSBUNSBUNSBUNSBUNSBUNSBUNSBUNSBUNS!!!

:mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They're fillums ffs.
    Which is how it was written and spoken in Shakespeare's time. Fillum, two syllables. Not in regard to cinema mind you. :D You can see a lot of how words were actually pronounced before standardised spelling came in. Though that same standardisation has led to more and more words in the English language becoming ever less phonetic. Other Shakespearean era words we retained. Press for cupboard, shores instead of drains(though the latter is heard less and less).

Irish English missed out on a lot of that vowel shift thing. Another one is we don't add R's after soft ahs like many English people do(and some eastern US accents). So we say "drawing" as it was always spelled, whereas you'll often hear some English accents say "drawring". Oddly they'll sometimes drop an R maybe because it sounds more correct rather than add an R, so "I opened the draw on my desk", or maybe it's harder for their accent to add an R after a soft a if there's another letter in between?

T's can be another difference. The Tirty Tree and a Turd of some Irish accents and the Firty Free and a Furd of some English. I knew an English lad who did this and he honestly couldn't hear it in himself. I seem to recall reading that some spoken sounds we make are dialled in early on in childhood and trying to hear or speak them in later life can be very difficult. Spaniards can find it hard to differentiate I and E sounds in English. So "ship" and "sheep" can sound the same, as does "sheet" and "shit"(that scene in Trainspotting might go over differently :D ). If you want to ape a god awful "spanish" accent swap out I's for E's and you're halfway there. German speakers can have similar difficulties with V and W sounds. Learning Chinese can be hard for western ears because of the subtle to us differences in sounds that they hear very clearly.

Where it gets cool is that you can have that language difference go into other areas like colours. There's an African tribe who don't have the word for "blue" so if you show them a load of greens with a similar tone blue in it the mix they can't point it out. Blue is a colour name that came late. It's not in the Old Testament. In old Japanese it's another green. The ancient Egyptians had a name for it, mainly because they were making money selling it as a pigment. Red is an ancient named colour, but even here it gets interesting. So pink and orange were at one time red. We can see traces of that today. Look at a Robin Red Breast. They're actually much more orange, but they were named before orange came along. Medieval myths held they got that colour because at the crucifixion they tried to pull the nails out of Christ's hands and his blood splashed on them. If your blood is that colour consult a physic in double quick time. :D

I digress... :o:D

But yes, there has been a much greater US influence on Irish English in the last few decades, especially the last two. Now maybe "mom" was in play in some parts of Irish speaking Kerry back in the olde days, but it sure as hell wasn't heard in Dublin. Mum or Ma was. Now pretty much everywhere it's mom, American as apple pie. Though even apple pie was a late addition to the US, as the native apples were pure sh1te for making it, until Johnny Appleseed came along(though he was planting them for cider, which gets dropped in the Disney version of things).

And it's Gaol, not jail, blast your eyes! :D
    biko wrote: »
    Just saw someone call tyres "tires" on boards.

It's seems to be common for people to misspell licence license for some reason, at the same time they never misspell advice advise.
    I'd say that's much more likely to be their spell checker. I switch mine to British English, many don't. I draw the line at fender, transmission and the like.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Muffin isn’t half as offensive as ****ing cupcake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

licence and license have the same word meaning, whereas advice and advise do not so the software reads the context and corrects often.

Licence is the noun , license is the verb. Ditto advice\advise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭stevek93

Dunnes Shops, Roches Shops etc doesn't sound right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Surprised "my bad" hasn't been mentioned yet. The most annoying of americanisms - at the moment.
    Mostly online maybe but I heard it from a young fellow in a cafe recently. Too polite to say: "Your bad what? Choice of colloquiallism?" (hurrah, got the spelling correct!)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

I draw the line at saying "nitch" instead of "neesh" for Niche

Advertisement