Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sciatica Relief

Options
  • 15-05-2020 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

Any ideas for sciatica relief? I feel like I’m being stabbed in the bum and I have no strength in my leg. I’m 18 weeks pregnant.

My toddler is having a meltdown because daddy had to take her to bed because I was afraid i’d Drop her, usually she goes down without a murmur.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

The only relief I found was to sit down and take the weight off for a while. Not easy with a toddler I know.
    On a brighter note, it pretty much disappeared as soon as baby was born.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

fineso.mom wrote: »
    The only relief I found was to sit down and take the weight off for a while. Not easy with a toddler I know.

Thanks for the reply. Our sofa seems to exacerbate it cos it’s low and soft. I have my sensible shoes and my cane out again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

fineso.mom wrote: »

Thanks for the reply. Our sofa seems to exacerbate it cos it’s low and soft. I have my sensible shoes and my cane out again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I used get a stabbing pain in one bum cheek in all my pregnancies, but it didn’t travel or give me weakness or anything. I discovered on baby number four that foam rolling it gave me huge relief.
    A support belt might help. Can you get a physio appointment? I know it’s an awkward time, but some public services are doing tele health so they could give you advice over the phone specific to your symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Get onto the physio department in your hospital and you will probably get a phone consultation. They can send you details of exercises which might help and tips.
    I had pgp on all pregnancies and a touch of sciatica. When sitting always make sure hips are higher than your knees. You can get a spiky ball to massage the area.
    I found using the serola belt brilliant while out walking. But there are lots of little exercises the physio could give you which might give you some relief. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

kylith wrote: »
    Any ideas for sciatica relief? I feel like I’m being stabbed in the bum and I have no strength in my leg. I’m 18 weeks pregnant.

My toddler is having a meltdown because daddy had to take her to bed because I was afraid i’d Drop her, usually she goes down without a murmur.

Anti inflammation tablets if allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

I don't think anti inflammatory medication allowed so check with doc or chemist.
    Op a lot of physios will do a video referral. What worked for me on physio advice was to get a tennis ball, sit on it with all weight on affected area using hands to support you on the ground and gently roll over and back the knot. It's very, very painful but loosens the area.
    Baths also help and I would really recommend pregnancy pilates as this helps keep all areas unlocked and stretched in a safe way. I do a zoom class which is really good.

The hospital physio will email/ post exercises for it ,and will consult on the phone,rang me last week and promptly emailed me instructions
    (Knee problem, and sciatica)
    Also got a gel to rub in to the area( just where the bum and upper thigh meet)

• Advertisement

annoyedgal wrote: »
    I don't think anti inflammatory medication allowed so check with doc or chemist.
    Op a lot of physios will do a video referral. What worked for me on physio advice was to get a tennis ball, sit on it with all weight on affected area using hands to support you on the ground and gently roll over and back the knot. It's very, very painful but loosens the area.
    Baths also help and I would really recommend pregnancy pilates as this helps keep all areas unlocked and stretched in a safe way. I do a zoom class which is really good.

Must try that thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

The small spiky ball and a large firm gym ball for sitting on were the only relief I had in my first pregnancy. On my second now and sciatica is starting to kick in and I’m only 17 weeks, I’m so upset thinking I will have this for the remainder of the pregnancy, the pain really is unbearable so you have my sympathies.

Sitting on a gym ball and rocking my hips helped but I couldn’t sit on the couch as you said and I ended up sitting on the stairs a lot. Im trying to stay active and do home workouts through this pregnancy along with walking and cycling, making sure I stretch properly and carefully is the only thing that’s keeping the sciatica at bay for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Yellowmac

Yeah a soft sofa is a disaster because your bum is lower than your hips - sitting on the firm gym ball much better! If I forgot and sat on the sofa I used to cry when getting back up :(
    Seated pigeon pose from yoga can give some relief as well as foam rolling it like others have said.
    Poor you it's agony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Use a sliotar to foam roll your glutes and it should give massive relief if done correctly. The sliotar gets in where your standard rollers from a shop can’t. I do all the time myself for running and my wife did it during pregnancy.

Advertisement